Bruce Brooks

Default What Kind Of Finish?

I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1 1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet, three drawers underneath
the top and a full length shelf about 6 inches off the floor, also about 1
1/2 inches thick. I want a glossy finish on it and can't decide between
oil-based or latex-based white paint.

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint? Which
would be the most durable?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce Brooks

Robert Galloway

With a top of 1 1/2 inches, I wouldn't consider anything except white,
two-part epoxy paint. This stuff is tuff. Will last a lifetime except
it isn't totally stain resistant. Magic marker and ball point can be
hard to remove.

bob g.

Bruce Brooks wrote:

I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1 1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet, three drawers underneath
the top and a full length shelf about 6 inches off the floor, also about 1
1/2 inches thick. I want a glossy finish on it and can't decide between
oil-based or latex-based white paint.

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint? Which
would be the most durable?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce Brooks

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bruce Brooks" wrote in message
I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1
1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet, three drawers
underneath
the top and a full length shelf about 6 inches off the floor, also about 1
1/2 inches thick. I want a glossy finish on it and can't decide between
oil-based or latex-based white paint.

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint? Which
would be the most durable?

I'd go with the oil based. Be sure to put on a coat of primer and sand
between coats for best results. Better shine and more durable than latex.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:00:43 -0400, "Bruce Brooks"
wrote:

What kind of moron puts white paint over cherry? why didn't you just
make it out of 2x4's and plywood with cinder blocks for feet?
I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1 1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet, three drawers underneath
the top and a full length shelf about 6 inches off the floor, also about 1
1/2 inches thick. I want a glossy finish on it and can't decide between
oil-based or latex-based white paint.

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint? Which
would be the most durable?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce Brooks

patriarch

"Bruce Brooks" wrote in
:

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint?
Which would be the most durable?

Some of the casts lately were at least subtle....
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint? Which
would be the most durable?

Tar it.

If you're South of the Mason-Dixon line, a few feathers too.

Bob Schmall

Don't ruin that lovely cherry. Nail or staple a sheet of good exterior grade
plywood over it and paint it. When it wears, you can replace the plywood
without affecting the cherry.

Bob

"Bruce Brooks" wrote in message
I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1
1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet, three drawers
underneath
the top and a full length shelf about 6 inches off the floor, also about 1
1/2 inches thick. I want a glossy finish on it and can't decide between
oil-based or latex-based white paint.

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint? Which
would be the most durable?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce Brooks

mac davis

wrote:

I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1 1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet, three drawers underneath
the top and a full length shelf about 6 inches off the floor, also about 1
1/2 inches thick. I want a glossy finish on it and can't decide between
oil-based or latex-based white paint.

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint? Which
would be the most durable?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce Brooks

I'd go with a high gloss white epoxy and stencil little cherries on it
in a random pattern...

then, take it outside and burn it before anyone saw it..

mp

I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1
1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet,

Nice wood when you can get it, but single planks that size are getting hard
to come by. After being inspired by square Japanese watermelons (grown
inside a square glass container), I'll be doing the same with cherry trees.
I'll just make a mold the size of a finished piece of furniture and grow a
tree inside it (patent pending). After about 30 or 40 years, all you need to
do is break the mold, peel the bark off, sand a bit, and finish with white
oil-based or latex paint.

Anyone know where I can find some venture capital?

Bruce Brooks

This looked like a really good idea, so I tried it. I used aluminum roofing
nails to match the aluminum sheeting you recommended. I had one heck of a
time trying to pound the aluminum nails into the cherry. They kept bending,
and when I tried to straighten them, some broke off. Aluminum nails are
just too soft, so I gave up on this whole idea.

I think maybe the problem was that the cherry plank was defective. It
wasn't straight grain, but all curly and swirly, like it was one big knot.
I know from nailing other stuff that it's very difficult to nail right into
a knot.

I shouldn't complain, though. I should have known that there was something
wrong with the big cherry plank when the guy sold it to me so cheap--$14.00.

Maybe I'll try Robert Galloway's suggestion of white two-part epoxy paint.
But I guess I'll have to spend time putting wood putty in the nail holes
first. Bummer!

Bruce Brooks

"put "RP" in front of the 77469 to reply" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1

1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet, three drawers

underneath
the top and a full length shelf about 6 inches off the floor, also about

1
1/2 inches thick. I want a glossy finish on it and can't decide between
oil-based or latex-based white paint.

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint?

Which
would be the most durable?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce Brooks

Prometheus

wrote:

I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1 1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet, three drawers underneath
the top and a full length shelf about 6 inches off the floor, also about 1
1/2 inches thick. I want a glossy finish on it and can't decide between
oil-based or latex-based white paint.

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint? Which
would be the most durable?

You're going to paint a solid-cherry table? Ouch. Why didn't you use
a less expensive wood if you were just planning on covering it up? As
far as the paint [shudder] goes, I usually use a latex based enamel
for high gloss, with a good primer coat underneith, carefully sanded
before applying the enamel.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce Brooks

Prometheus

wrote:

I have just completed the construction of a solid cherry table, with a 1 1/2
inch thick, single plank top about 2 1/2 by 4 feet, three drawers underneath
the top and a full length shelf about 6 inches off the floor, also about 1
1/2 inches thick. I want a glossy finish on it and can't decide between
oil-based or latex-based white paint.

Which one will give the best finish with the fewest coats of paint? Which
would be the most durable?

Dammit. I'm slow on the uptake after work. Ya got me.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bruce Brooks

Bruce Brooks

I was kidding, as almost everyone realized. Most of the responses really
made me laugh.

Actually, I did just complete such a table, and it is giving me fits in the
finishing process. (Just like every other piece I've done!) Painting it
white did go through my mind, sort of as a punishment of the cherry for
being mean to me, instead of as an attractive finish. Upon consideration, I
realized that wood probably can't feel any pain.

Then it occurred to me to have a little fun with the white paint idea.

Regards to all,
Bruce Brooks

Joe Willmann

Thanks! I really enjoyed reading the OP. The replies were even better
though!

Thanks.