Andrew Barss

Default Overhead TS blade guard mounting question

I'm planning to build a variant of the Brett overhead blade guard for my
Jet X-acta saw. It'll have a locking Lexan box which will be movable
both horizontally (perpendicular to the blade) and vertically.

I've seen a number of web pages detailing how to build one, but have not
seen one detail specified: how does the guard get mounted to the saw?
It seems that mounting to the extension table, and/or the rear fence rail,
would induce some distortion that might affect the fence (fence rides on
front rail; front rail and back rail are both bolted to the extension
table; mounting a heavy cantilevered guard to the back rail would twist
the whole shebang).

If anyone has built one (or owns the actual commercial Brett guiard) I'd
appreciated hearing about how you mounted the guard.

Thanks,

Andy Barss
LP

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:43:51 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

I'm planning to build a variant of the Brett overhead blade guard for my
Jet X-acta saw. It'll have a locking Lexan box which will be movable
both horizontally (perpendicular to the blade) and vertically.

I've seen a number of web pages detailing how to build one, but have not
seen one detail specified: how does the guard get mounted to the saw?
It seems that mounting to the extension table, and/or the rear fence rail,
would induce some distortion that might affect the fence (fence rides on
front rail; front rail and back rail are both bolted to the extension
table; mounting a heavy cantilevered guard to the back rail would twist
the whole shebang).

If anyone has built one (or owns the actual commercial Brett guiard) I'd
appreciated hearing about how you mounted the guard.

Thanks,

Andy Barss

I don't recall how the Brett mounts but the ones I've seen are
cantilevered off a post to the (usually) right side of the saw, or
cantilevered off the ceiling above the saw. IOW, the thing isn't
actually fastened to the saw framework at all.
If your saw is on a roll-around, you can do as a friend of mine did
and weld (bolts would work) the post to the frame of the roll-around,
and bolt it to the edge of the table to provide a little more
stiffness.

Pat Barber

I'm not up to speed on the Brett guard but Biesemeyer
offers the instructions and detail pictures which
should get you started.

http://www.biesemeyer.com/installations.htm

The Brett appears to be a carbon copy of the Bies except
for that snazzy movement handle.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...9B9B4EA7F37453

PS:

I would look into buying over building...

Andrew Barss wrote:

I'm planning to build a variant of the Brett overhead blade guard for my
Jet X-acta saw. It'll have a locking Lexan box which will be movable
both horizontally (perpendicular to the blade) and vertically.

I've seen a number of web pages detailing how to build one, but have not
seen one detail specified: how does the guard get mounted to the saw?
It seems that mounting to the extension table, and/or the rear fence rail,
would induce some distortion that might affect the fence (fence rides on
front rail; front rail and back rail are both bolted to the extension
table; mounting a heavy cantilevered guard to the back rail would twist
the whole shebang).

If anyone has built one (or owns the actual commercial Brett guiard) I'd
appreciated hearing about how you mounted the guard.

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Andrew Barss

Pat Barber wrote:
: I'm not up to speed on the Brett guard but Biesemeyer
: offers the instructions and detail pictures which
: should get you started.

: http://www.biesemeyer.com/installations.htm

Thanks.

: The Brett appears to be a carbon copy of the Bies except
: for that snazzy movement handle.

: http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...9B9B4EA7F37453

: PS:

: I would look into buying over building...

How come?

-- Andy Barss

Pat Barber

That particular overarm arrangement could be done
by a home grown welder, but the guard assembly is
gonna be a pain to fabricate.

The amount of time playing with a item that is to
be a major league safety feature would concern me.
Design errors could be very costly.

The ability to be able to lift and move "very easily"
is gonna be the big hitter in the design.

An overhead guard requires a fair amount "adjusting"
during the course of a "typical" day in the shop.

Here is an excellent write up on all the major players
in the splitter and guard game:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00130.asp

Joe at Plaza machinery might even have a "deal"
on a Biesemeyer. I got mine for $200 and love it.

It is a very substantial piece of equipment.

Andrew Barss wrote:

: I would look into buying over building...

How come?

-- Andy Barss

Andrew Barss

Pat Barber wrote:
: That particular overarm arrangement could be done
: by a home grown welder, but the guard assembly is
: gonna be a pain to fabricate.

Looks pretty straightford from the plans I've seen -- I'm going for a thick
lexan box, mounted to a locking scissoring type adjuster.

: An overhead guard requires a fair amount "adjusting"
: during the course of a "typical" day in the shop.

And the main reason I don't like the Biesemeyer is the problem noted in
Mehler's article below -- to do horizontal adjustment you have to walk
around the saw.

: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00130.asp

It's also $500 with dust extraction (though thanks for the tip to Plaza).

-- Andy barss

Pat Barber

After having the overhead guard for about six months
I have found:

(a) Very safe guard
(b) Easy to install
(c) Pain in the ass to use
(d) Much better than a standard guard by miles and miles
(e) Does not allow ripping of small pieces with guard.
Anything less than 6" requires removing guard.
(f) Seems to get "in the way" during certain operations
(g) I'm glad I bought it and will continue to learn how
to use it for every operation possible.
(h) The Bies "pop up" splitter is another very nice device
and has been a real improvement but again, it requires
a "re-learning" process. Pain in the wazooo to install
but when finally right, provides a much better cut.

Contact me for a part that might things easier...

Andrew Barss wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
: That particular overarm arrangement could be done
: by a home grown welder, but the guard assembly is
: gonna be a pain to fabricate.

Looks pretty straightford from the plans I've seen -- I'm going for a thick
lexan box, mounted to a locking scissoring type adjuster.

: An overhead guard requires a fair amount "adjusting"
: during the course of a "typical" day in the shop.

And the main reason I don't like the Biesemeyer is the problem noted in
Mehler's article below -- to do horizontal adjustment you have to walk
around the saw.

: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00130.asp

It's also $500 with dust extraction (though thanks for the tip to Plaza).

-- Andy barss

Bob G.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:27:12 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

In line response...(s) BUT I can not understand why yours is a pain
in the ass to use...?
================================
After having the overhead guard for about six months
I have found:

(a) Very safe guard
(b) Easy to install
(c) Pain in the ass to use

====================
I have had my overhead guard for close to if not more then 15 years
and I sure do NOT think it is a pain in the ass to use...if anything
it is extremely easy to use..

(d) Much better than a standard guard by miles and miles
(e) Does not allow ripping of small pieces with guard.
Anything less than 6" requires removing guard.

Ya lost me with this statement... I have absolutely no problem ripping
and size stock...
(f) Seems to get "in the way" during certain operations

The only time I have to MOVE..NOT.. REMOVE the guard is for doing
tenon cuts if the stock is long enough to hit the rail that holds up
the guard... the guard and the rail slide out of the way in under 3
seconds..so I can stand the board up on end and make my cut IF the
ceiling does not get in the way...

(g) I'm glad I bought it and will continue to learn how
to use it for every operation possible.

(h) The Bies "pop up" splitter is another very nice device
and has been a real improvement but again, it requires
a "re-learning" process. Pain in the wazooo to install
but when finally right, provides a much better cut.

Have to agree. as all my zero clearence inserts required me to make
my own splitter for each and every insert.... been thinking about the
Bies splitter...just to cheap to buy one I guess at this point as my
home made splitters work...

Upscale

"Rick Chamberlain" wrote in message

I disagree completely with your assessment. I used 1/4" Lexan for the
guard box, and it works perfectly. My guard adjusts up and down, left
to right, and forward and backward. And it locks firmly in whatever
position I need.

When I need to dado or perform some other action on the saw that
requires more room, the guard is easily removed.

How about some pictures in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking of your setup?

Pat Barber

I would like to see what you did...

By your description, it sounds like a welder was involved ???

How did you construct the lexan box ???

If you can do them that cheap, you might want to look into
going into the business.

Rick Chamberlain wrote:

Pat,

I disagree completely with your assessment. I used 1/4" Lexan for the
guard box, and it works perfectly. My guard adjusts up and down, left
to right, and forward and backward. And it locks firmly in whatever
position I need.

When I need to dado or perform some other action on the saw that
requires more room, the guard is easily removed.

I built the guard with less than $80 in materials and had enough angle
iron and box channel left over to build the rolling cart for my Unisaw.
The Brett and Bies may be commercially built, but they offer no
additional functionality or safety than my home grown unit.

Rick

Pat Barber

I'm not sure which overhead guard you have, but
a Biesemeyer guard can not be "in position" when
you are ripping stock thinner than 6" or so.

If the guard is positioned next to the fence for a
very narrow rip operation, there is no way to push
the stock through the blade using a push stick or
any other safety device.

Biesemeyer tech folks admit this short coming.

Perhaps you have found another way to handle that ???

wrote:

In line response...(s) BUT I can not understand why yours is a pain
in the ass to use...?
================================

Andrew Barss

Pat Barber wrote:
: I'm not sure which overhead guard you have, but
: a Biesemeyer guard can not be "in position" when
: you are ripping stock thinner than 6" or so.

: If the guard is positioned next to the fence for a
: very narrow rip operation, there is no way to push
: the stock through the blade using a push stick or
: any other safety device.

Pat --

Can't you move the baskt slightly away from the blade, and use a
narrow pushstick right next to the fence, and a featherboard to keep the
stock tight against the fence?

-- Andy

Rick Chamberlain

In article ,
says...
I would like to see what you did...

By your description, it sounds like a welder was involved ???

How did you construct the lexan box ???

If you can do them that cheap, you might want to look into
going into the business.

Pat,

Yes, I welded the main upright and overarms using square box channel.
But I could have just as easily drilled holes and bolted it together.
The guard is adjustable left to right (allowing for narrow rips if
desired) by using a smaller box channel sliding inside the larger
overarm.

The Lexan was easy - got a number of off cuts from the local plastics
house and used polycarb adhesive. Stuff works great. I took a hose
adapter for a DC system and glued it to the top of the Lexan box.

I've seen people screw the Lexan together instead so they can replace a
broken piece, but the way I see it, if Lexan breaks, it shatters. And
if that happens, I most likely have a blade that exploded or a bad
kickback. In either case, I'll be taking a vacation afterward and will
replace the entire assembly with something stronger... :-)

If I thought I could make a jig and found enough interest, I'd probably
do it on the side. Fabbing the material is pretty easy - lots of
straight cuts and stitch welds. Shipping the welded unit would be
tough, so I'd probably have to bolt the overarm and uprights instead.
And then, I'd have to decide on a paint color. :-)

Rick

Bob G.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:41:32 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

I'm not sure which overhead guard you have, but
a Biesemeyer guard can not be "in position" when
you are ripping stock thinner than 6" or so.

If the guard is positioned next to the fence for a
very narrow rip operation, there is no way to push
the stock through the blade using a push stick or
any other safety device.

Biesemeyer tech folks admit this short coming.

Perhaps you have found another way to handle that ???

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
The overhead guard I use is an Excalibur ...

Mine was purchased almost 15 years ago and does not look much like
their current guard... I stopped looking at these guards the day I
installed mine so I am not at all current on what Biesmeyer or other
manufacturers offer...

Bob Griffiths

Pat Barber

OK... I went out last night and played with the
guard some more.

(a) Move the guard as far to the left as possible
so that blade is VERY close to edge of guard
but still covered.

(b) Positioned the fence several times and attempted
to "push stock through" using a standard push
stick.

I overstated the problem by a wee bit. The smallest
piece of stock I could push through using a push stick
was 2" , not 6" as I stated yesterday.

I was also "whining" a bit about using a guard, as many
people do, I am using the guard cause it's the right thing
to do, but I want to think it's in the way during certain
operations. It requires a slightly different method to use
rather than having no guard at all.

I bought the guard cause I think it's the best thing to
do and I want to end up with all ten fingers at the end
of the day. My thoughts on guards changed in the last
year or so and I'm now a believer in all safety devices.

I wish there was a easier way to attach featherboards or
anything else to a Biesemeyer fence... Of course when you
attempt to clamp the featherboard to the fence at the proper
place, it tends to get in the way of the guard...

I continue to work on ways to use the guard and keep the
whining down to a minimum.