Pat Barber

That particular overarm arrangement could be done
by a home grown welder, but the guard assembly is
gonna be a pain to fabricate.

The amount of time playing with a item that is to
be a major league safety feature would concern me.
Design errors could be very costly.

The ability to be able to lift and move "very easily"
is gonna be the big hitter in the design.

An overhead guard requires a fair amount "adjusting"
during the course of a "typical" day in the shop.

Here is an excellent write up on all the major players
in the splitter and guard game:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00130.asp

Joe at Plaza machinery might even have a "deal"
on a Biesemeyer. I got mine for $200 and love it.

It is a very substantial piece of equipment.

Andrew Barss wrote:

: I would look into buying over building...

How come?

-- Andy Barss