Pat Barber

OK... I went out last night and played with the
guard some more.

(a) Move the guard as far to the left as possible
so that blade is VERY close to edge of guard
but still covered.

(b) Positioned the fence several times and attempted
to "push stock through" using a standard push
stick.

I overstated the problem by a wee bit. The smallest
piece of stock I could push through using a push stick
was 2" , not 6" as I stated yesterday.

I was also "whining" a bit about using a guard, as many
people do, I am using the guard cause it's the right thing
to do, but I want to think it's in the way during certain
operations. It requires a slightly different method to use
rather than having no guard at all.

I bought the guard cause I think it's the best thing to
do and I want to end up with all ten fingers at the end
of the day. My thoughts on guards changed in the last
year or so and I'm now a believer in all safety devices.

I wish there was a easier way to attach featherboards or
anything else to a Biesemeyer fence... Of course when you
attempt to clamp the featherboard to the fence at the proper
place, it tends to get in the way of the guard...

I continue to work on ways to use the guard and keep the
whining down to a minimum.

Andrew Barss wrote:

Pat --

Can't you move the baskt slightly away from the blade, and use a
narrow pushstick right next to the fence, and a featherboard to keep the
stock tight against the fence?