Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Strong enough?

https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200 pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 08:50:12 -0800 (PST), Greg Guarino
wrote:

https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200 pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

Quick answer--as long as you don't manage to screw up some detail in a
major way, yes. You don't show how the apron is attached to the
legs--dowels or mortise-and-tenon would be good there.

A useful tool:
https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

Shows less than .01 inch deflection on your aprons with 200 lb center
load.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2021 11:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200 pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

Looks like it would take considerable weight if properly glued and
screwed. Deflection is also a function of span. It is was me, I'd cut
it down to 37 15/16
Posted to rec.woodworking

I would say yes - hardwood is pretty strong. However, *I* would use
mortise and tenons instead of dowels, unless you're specifically using
oak/maple dowels, because overkill is the best kill, and because I have
the tools to make them already :-)

If you use M&T for the apron to leg joint, and the seat slats, it will
probably be stronger than your floor.

You could also use a half-blind dovetail on the slats (visible from the
top, of course), if you want to try something fancy :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2021 10:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200 pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

I think it could easily handle 500 lbs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 12:51:14 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/15/2021 11:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200 pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

Looks like it would take considerable weight if properly glued and
screwed. Deflection is also a function of span. It is was me, I'd cut
it down to 37 15/16

So I wouldn't be safe rounding it UP to 37-1/2?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 1:32:41 PM UTC-5, DJ Delorie wrote:
I would say yes - hardwood is pretty strong. However, *I* would use
mortise and tenons instead of dowels, unless you're specifically using
oak/maple dowels, because overkill is the best kill, and because I have
the tools to make them already :-)

That many mortises would overtax my tool, time and skill complement. And I don't have a Domino either.

If you use M&T for the apron to leg joint, and the seat slats, it will
probably be stronger than your floor.

My floor is a slab of concrete.

You could also use a half-blind dovetail on the slats (visible from the
top, of course), if you want to try something fancy :-)

I'd have to eat better and exercise more to live long enough to complete that. I'll be it would look pretty cool though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 2:21:58 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 2/15/2021 10:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200 pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

I think it could easily handle 500 lbs.

Great. I can have seconds on the potatoes then.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200 pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

It may needs more diagonal bracing, to prevent racking sideways under
load. People don't always sit straight either.

A back sheet or helf sheet of wood would do it.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino writes:
That many mortises would overtax my tool, time and skill
complement. And I don't have a Domino either.

Think of it as an exercise in making jigs :-)

My floor is a slab of concrete.

My basement floor is a 4" slab of concrete. It has cracks in it.

You could also use a half-blind dovetail on the slats (visible from the
top, of course), if you want to try something fancy :-)

I'd have to eat better and exercise more to live long enough to
complete that. I'll be it would look pretty cool though.

The piece I used that on (actually I was teaching someone else how to do
it), I used a Leigh D4. Setup was tricky, but yeah, it looked pretty
cool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2021 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/15/2021 10:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on
while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or
possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200
pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or Maple,
fastened with 3/8" dowels.

I think it could easily handle 500 lbs.

I was thinking a small elephant. M&T joints for sure, a small elephant.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2021 10:19 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/15/2021 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/15/2021 10:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on
while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or
possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200
pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or
Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

I think it could easily handle 500 lbs.

I was thinking a small elephant. M&T joints for sure, a small elephant.

I love bringing this up now and again. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7622991960362/

I used Domino's but I think a few dowels in each joint would have worked
just as well. Domino's were much faster.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2021 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/15/2021 10:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on
while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or
possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200
pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or
Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

I think it could easily handle 500 lbs.

I was thinking a small elephant. M&T joints for sure, a small elephant.

I love bringing this up now and again. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7622991960362/

I used Domino's but I think a few dowels in each joint would have worked
just as well. Domino's were much faster.

Dominos holding your cheeks together? That musta hurt!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2021 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/15/2021 10:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on
while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots,
or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200
pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or
Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

I think it could easily handle 500 lbs.

I was thinking a small elephant. M&T joints for sure, a small elephant.

I love bringing this up now and again.Â* ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7622991960362/

I used Domino's but I think a few dowels in each joint would have worked
just as well.Â* Domino's were much faster.

I think Domino's would be more like mortise and tenons and just as
strong. Dowels not so much. Still more than strong enough for Greg's
purpose, just harder to use, and slower than domino's. I'm not a big fan
of dowels other than a perch for my bird feeders:-)

--
Jack