Posted to rec.woodworking

Default poplar wood strong enough for hanging?

I'm not sure if this is the right news group...but here it goes. I'm a
newbie at doing this stuff.

I want to hang some stuff on a finished garage wall. I was thinking of
putting a wood strip, horizontally to hang various items on hooks such
as a couple of ladders, garden tools, etc..
mainly it's a support piece in between the studs.

Is 1x2 poplar wood strong enough? I was thinking of attaching this
board with 1 or 2 wood screws every 16 or 32 inches on each stud. Is
every 32" sufficient? Is 1.5" screw into the wood stud good
enough(will add screw length for the wood and drywall)? can I get by
with 1" net of screw into the wood stud?

I know 2x4 would do the job....but i was looking for a lower profile
board(ie 1") to stick closer to the wall and look perhaps better.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks!

-joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I usually use a pine 1x4 for such purposes. Pine cheaper than poplar and
just about as strong.
Put a 3 inch long #10 screw into every stud.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's a one piece U hook with 2 legs. There are 4 mounting
holes....about 3 inches apart such that it's designed to attach to a
horizontal x4 board. I'm trying to store the ladders vertically,
hence the reason for a hanging board. There are fire boards running
horizontally between studs, but not wide enough for this purpose nor at
the right height.

Leuf wrote:
On 6 Jun 2006 15:48:58 -0700, wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input!

Yeah...hangin a 6' alum and 7' fiberglass ladder.
I thought of 1x4 pine...but ladders are bit heavier and I wasn't sure
if 4 screws into the upside U type of braket into 3/4" thick pine was
sufficient to hold each ladder. Each screw would only have a good bite
of say 5/8" into the wood. I have no idea of the holding strength. I
could try hanging on it. ....maybe not!
I'm guessing the fiberglass one is 30 lbs? i should weight it i guess.
plus I plan to hang things like shovels and garden tools too.

I can't see why you'd bother putting up a board for the ladder hooks.
Just run the hooks straight into the studs and be done with it.

-Leuf