Posted to rec.woodworking

Default poplar wood strong enough for hanging?

It's a one piece U hook with 2 legs. There are 4 mounting
holes....about 3 inches apart such that it's designed to attach to a
horizontal x4 board. I'm trying to store the ladders vertically,
hence the reason for a hanging board. There are fire boards running
horizontally between studs, but not wide enough for this purpose nor at
the right height.

Leuf wrote:
On 6 Jun 2006 15:48:58 -0700, wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input!

Yeah...hangin a 6' alum and 7' fiberglass ladder.
I thought of 1x4 pine...but ladders are bit heavier and I wasn't sure
if 4 screws into the upside U type of braket into 3/4" thick pine was
sufficient to hold each ladder. Each screw would only have a good bite
of say 5/8" into the wood. I have no idea of the holding strength. I
could try hanging on it. ....maybe not!
I'm guessing the fiberglass one is 30 lbs? i should weight it i guess.
plus I plan to hang things like shovels and garden tools too.

I can't see why you'd bother putting up a board for the ladder hooks.
Just run the hooks straight into the studs and be done with it.

-Leuf