Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Strong enough?

On 2/18/2021 3:59 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 11:39:17 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/17/2021 10:19 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/15/2021 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/15/2021 10:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on
while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or
possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200
pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or
Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

I think it could easily handle 500 lbs.
I was thinking a small elephant. M&T joints for sure, a small elephant.

I love bringing this up now and again. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7622991960362/

I used Domino's but I think a few dowels in each joint would have worked
just as well. Domino's were much faster.

Dominos holding your cheeks together? That musta hurt!

;~)