Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Strong enough?

On 2/18/2021 12:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/17/2021 10:19 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/15/2021 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/15/2021 10:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on
while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots,
or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200
pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or
Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

I think it could easily handle 500 lbs.

I was thinking a small elephant. M&T joints for sure, a small elephant.

I love bringing this up now and again.Â* ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...7622991960362/

I used Domino's but I think a few dowels in each joint would have worked
just as well.Â* Domino's were much faster.

I think Domino's would be more like mortise and tenons and just as
strong. Dowels not so much. Still more than strong enough for Greg's
purpose, just harder to use, and slower than domino's. I'm not a big fan
of dowels other than a perch for my bird feeders:-)

--
Jack