Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Strong enough?

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 12:51:14 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/15/2021 11:50 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/2kBZGuJ

This is not a finished design. It's intended to be a bench to sit on while you take your boots off, with a storage shelf for the boots, or possibly for boxes/baskets.

My question is, will it be strong enough for a person of say 200 pounds to sit on? It would all be 3/4 material, probably Oak or Maple, fastened with 3/8" dowels.

Looks like it would take considerable weight if properly glued and
screwed. Deflection is also a function of span. It is was me, I'd cut
it down to 37 15/16

So I wouldn't be safe rounding it UP to 37-1/2?