Lew Hodgett

After last week's debate, I understand why some identify our president by
using an nickname, "Shrub".

It would seem to fit.

Lew

Mark & Juanita

On 4 Oct 2004 18:24:09 -0700, (Fred the Red Shirt)
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in message news:1096694685.ld1LJL/DlOPVcVqNnXQKdA@teranews...
On 1 Oct 2004 22:05:24 -0700,
(Fred the Red Shirt)
wrote:

IIUC there are two kinds of Senate Intelligence meetings. Closed door
during whihc the Senators have access to classified information and
open meetings which are dog and pony shows for the public. Kerry
missed a lot of the dog and pony shows. His attendence record at
the closed sessions is not publicly available.

Slight quibble with your choice of words. Kerry *refuses* to make his
attendance record at the closed sessions known. The chairman of the
committee has indicated he will make the attendance record public, but
[just as with his military records] Kerry must request that the chairman do
so. As most engineering texts will say, "the conclusion is left to the
reader".

My only quibble with yours is that I've read more than a few engineering
texts and do not recall reading that in any.

Perhaps I am guilty of a slight paraphrase, the more common phrase is,
"the proof is left to the reader" and "it is obvious to the casual observer
...." And if you don't have any engineering texts with those words in them,
you don't have genuine engineering texts. :-)

Do you nkow if GWB's discharge papers, equivalent to a DD218 or whatever
it is, have been posted anywhere on the web?

Don't know for sure, I haven't gone looking for them. GWB did sign the
appropriate form such that the pentagon has released his records; I'd be
surprised if they don't exist somewhere.

--

FF

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:25:42 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
calmly ranted:

After last week's debate, I understand why some identify our president by
using an nickname, "Shrub".

What else would you call a small Bush?

It would seem to fit.

Indubitably.

I turned off the debate when they started talking about
"Making America Secure" as if they were interested...

I did love Kerry's statement about the totally uninspected
cargo areas vs. the overly-inspected person/baggage area
on any given passenger flight. One in 25 or 50 is frisked
which means 24-49 in 50 _could_ be carrying weapons.

I couldn't carry my 1-1/2" pocket knife on board but waltzed
right past all the security guards with a 9" sharpened weapon
(a pencil) sticking out of my shirt pocket. One DHS guard's
eyes were within 18" of my weapon at one point and he didn't
say a word. Who's kidding whom about security on flights?

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:08:35 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:25:42 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
calmly ranted:

After last week's debate, I understand why some identify our president by
using an nickname, "Shrub".

What else would you call a small Bush?

It would seem to fit.

Indubitably.

It's good to know you guys made your decision on, you know, things that
matter.
Lew Hodgett

"Dave Hinz" writes:

It's good to know you guys made your decision on, you know, things that
matter.

Interesting.

I made an observation, not a decision.

Lew

Lew Hodgett

"Larry Jaques" writes:

I did love Kerry's statement about the totally uninspected
cargo areas vs. the overly-inspected person/baggage area
on any given passenger flight.

snip

I'm glad I don't have to fly any more on a regular basis.

It's got to be a nightmare for the typical "Road Warrior" these days.

My boat yard is less than a mile from the Los Angeles/Long Beach port,
largest container port on the left coast.

The port security just makes you all warm and fuzzyG.

Lew

George

Statistics favor the tall in (presumably pre affirmative action) job
interviews and presidents.

When you can't/won't think, you pretty much have to go on trivial things.

wrote:
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:25:42 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
calmly ranted:

After last week's debate, I understand why some identify our president

by
using an nickname, "Shrub".

What else would you call a small Bush?

It would seem to fit.

Indubitably.

It's good to know you guys made your decision on, you know, things that
matter.

Swingman

"George" wrote in message
Statistics favor the tall in (presumably pre affirmative action) job
interviews and presidents.

When you can't/won't think, you pretty much have to go on trivial things.

This has been discussed before. Enter the CEO's with uncannily similar
physical appearances, and you can also spot a congress critter by his
coiffure ... no "haircuts" there.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:28:22 -0500, Swingman wrote:

This has been discussed before. Enter the CEO's with uncannily similar
physical appearances, and you can also spot a congress critter by his
coiffure ... no "haircuts" there.

Actually, our representative (Jim Sensenbrenner) has pretty much that
whole "regular guy" thing going on, no false pretenses. "Here's who
I am, here's what I believe, and if you agree with me more than you
disagree with me, I'd like to get your vote" kind of a guy.
Definately "haircut" rather than "hairstyle" there. Not saying he's
typical, though.

Guy has amazing memory. He comes to our Fireman's Picnic every
year to talk to folks. I ran into him elsewhere, completely out of
context, and he greeted me with "Hi Dave, how are things in (home town)?".
I see the guy once a year, and he's got _that_ good of a memory.
(No, I wasn't wearing a nametag or my home town on my jacket or
anything).

So, they're not all fakey like the two trying to become pres & VP
at the moment...

Dave Hinz

Steve Knight

the debates are a joke. they have a 30 page list of what they can and can't do.
there is no real debating anymore. 20/20 did a great report on it.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Charlie Self

Steve Knight responds:

he debates are a joke. they have a 30 page list of what they can and can't
do.
there is no real debating anymore. 20/20 did a great report on it.

Missed the report, but read about the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Puts this
stage-managed hocus-pocus to shame. But hell, Bush couldn't even get it right
with thirty pages of directions. Maybe if the put it on the heel of his boot,
he can figure out how to pour **** out of the boot without Cheney pulling his
strings.

Charlie Self
"The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow out
of it." Doris Day
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:27:25 GMT, mac davis
calmly ranted:

wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:25:42 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
calmly ranted:

After last week's debate, I understand why some identify our president by
using an nickname, "Shrub".

What else would you call a small Bush?

a bikini trim?

No, that's my favorite, a shavetail.
Yum, no fur in the teeth!

---
- Friends don't let friends use FrontPage -
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Programming

Steve Knight

Missed the report, but read about the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Puts this
stage-managed hocus-pocus to shame. But hell, Bush couldn't even get it right
with thirty pages of directions. Maybe if the put it on the heel of his boot,
he can figure out how to pour **** out of the boot without Cheney pulling his
strings.

I guess the rules are so biased towards showing off the candidates that no real
debate can now happen. well hell just listening to it I thought something was
wrong. but I agree bush would die in a real debate.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Charlie Self

Steve Knight responds:

I guess the rules are so biased towards showing off the candidates that no
real
debate can now happen. well hell just listening to it I thought something was
wrong. but I agree bush would die in a real debate.

They wanna look good, and figure no one really listens to them anyway. Which
may be pretty close to true.

Bush wants to be folksy (silver spoon and all), but he strikes me as the guy
who sits around the room until the discussion gets to something he knows, say
snakes, when he tells you all about the racer snakes that outrun men (and
women) and the hoop snakes that roll right on by you. Which make for nice
tales, but isn't heavy on facts.

Charlie Self
"The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow out
of it." Doris Day

Charlie Self

Larry Jaques responds:
After last week's debate, I understand why some identify our president by
using an nickname, "Shrub".

What else would you call a small Bush?

a bikini trim?

No, that's my favorite, a shavetail.
Yum, no fur in the teeth!

C'mon, man. With some people, that's the only way they floss.

Charlie Self
"The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow out
of it." Doris Day
Andrew Barss

bob peterson wrote:

: Kerry came close to telling the truth about what he really believes
: when he said US action has to pass a "global test". He has always
: believed that the US should not use force in its national intersts
: without permission from the UN

If you look at Kerry's quote in context, it's very clear that

a) he used "global" in the sense of "comprehensive", not "worldwide".
(You can look it up in a dictionary if you need to).

b) He said quite explicitly, and I quote:

"I will never cede America's security to any institution or any other
country".

which makes your statement above about the UN either a befuddled mistake
or a partisan lie.

-- Andy Barss

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:36:48 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

bob peterson wrote:

: Kerry came close to telling the truth about what he really believes
: when he said US action has to pass a "global test". He has always
: believed that the US should not use force in its national intersts
: without permission from the UN

If you look at Kerry's quote in context, it's very clear that

a) he used "global" in the sense of "comprehensive", not "worldwide".
(You can look it up in a dictionary if you need to).

b) He said quite explicitly, and I quote:

"I will never cede America's security to any institution or any other
country".

which makes your statement above about the UN either a befuddled mistake
or a partisan lie.

-- Andy Barss

... or makes Kerry's subsequent statement about a global test a
contradiction of his first statement. i.e., taking both sides on the issue
-- not that a politician has ever done that before.

Andy, as an apologist for Kerry, the idea that he was using the term
"global" as a synonym for "comprehensive" in the particular debate answer
in question is really stretching things beyond credibility.

Kerry's own words refute that interpretation:
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20041005-013030-2689r.htm
"The test I was talking about is a test of legitimacy — not just in the
globe, but elsewhere," he said. "If you do things that are illegitimate in
the eyes of other people, it's very hard to get them to share the burden
and risk with you. " Which pretty much seems like judging what you are
going to do by what others are going to think of you.

But Kerry then went on and said
"I will never cede America's security to any institution or any other
country. No one gets a veto over our security. No one." Again, this is in
direct contradiction to his first sentence. There are going to be times
when protection of US interests is *not* going to make others think highly
of us, but is absolutely essential. This kind of situation is going to
cause some significant problems with the above two contradictory
statements.

Andrew Barss

Mark & Juanita wrote:

: Andy, as an apologist for Kerry

I'm not an apologist for Kerry. He doesn't need one. Bush needs
apologists aplenty, given the horrendous record he's established.

-- Andy Barss