Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:00:45 -0500, Al Spohn wrote:

In article , lid
says...
Dan White wrote:

"Al Spohn" wrote in message

I'd be curious as to what the normal rate of absenteeism is in
Washington, particularly for those running for the Presidency. His
behavior in this regard only marks him as a politician in my book, and
doesn't rule him out as a viable candidate for the presidency.

I see you're setting the bar pretty high there for electing our next
president...leader of the free world. With that attitude it is no wonder
we are getting what we deserve in politicians.

As would I, but I hope you'll hold Bush to the same standard regarding
his vacation time.

You keep saying it is vacation, but to anyone with an objective viewpoint,
it is not. Why do you keep calling it vacation? It just isn't.

FWIW, I used to work for a company whose CEO spent half his time skiing in
Europe. And every time he came back he came back with millions of dollars
worth of new business. He died. The company died shortly after. So was
he working or vacationing? Or does it make a difference?

Your point is well taken. And in the context of this thread, I think
anyone involved with bureaucracy can site tons of meetings where showing
up 10% of the time and getting real work done in meantime makes more
sense than a consistent attendance record. I don't know enough to say
that this is the case with the meetings Kerry is missing (although my
experience with the Defense Dept bureaucracy surely makes this a
believable possibility,) but I'm saying the concept at least warrants
investigation before condemning him.

- Al

While what you say may have merit regarding useless meetings, more
telling is attendance to cast votes during normal Senate business. One
cannot argue that attendance at Senate votes is bureaucracy or "useless"
meetings -- it is what these Senators were hired to do. Both before and
following their announcements of candidacy, both Kerry and Edwards had
absentee rates far higher than most of their peers. As a matter of fact,
Kerry's absentee record following his announcement actually improved after
he announced. Before he announced, his absentee record was 57% (yep, he
missed more votes than he cast).

http://www.mwilliams.info/archives/001349.php
http://www.rapp.org/archives/2004/03/vote_dammit/ Just a couple links
found in a google search for "kerry senate voting attendance"

Dan White

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
om...

Reports are that Burkett first approached the Kerry Campaign with the
material and they declined to use it.

LOL. You mean the way Clinton never had sexual relations with that woman?
No, actually "reports" are that the Kerry Campaign SAYS they had nothing to
do with it. The jury is still out and I have a feeling some enterprising
reporter will get close to the truth eventually.

dwhite

Dan White

"Al Spohn" wrote in message
In article , dwhite110
@optonline.net says...
"Al Spohn" wrote in message

I'd be curious as to what the normal rate of absenteeism is in
Washington, particularly for those running for the Presidency. His
behavior in this regard only marks him as a politician in my book, and
doesn't rule him out as a viable candidate for the presidency.

I see you're setting the bar pretty high there for electing our next
president...leader of the free world. With that attitude it is no

wonder we
are getting what we deserve in politicians.

Well, I could always loosen my standards a little if you really insist
on electing Bush :-). If you think that anybody that bubbles to the top
in Washington does so in the absence of dirty tricks, pandering to
corporate interests (democrat and republican,) and otherwise doing
whatever it takes to put themselves in a position to "make a
difference," you're either terribly naive or are enjoying some form of
chemically induced optimism (back away from the table saw :-))

No, I agree with you there. Bottom line is I see two candidates before us.
One who understands the challenges in the world today and is acting on it,
and one who is just saying anything to get elected.

As would I, but I hope you'll hold Bush to the same standard regarding
his vacation time.

You keep saying it is vacation, but to anyone with an objective

viewpoint,
it is not. Why do you keep calling it vacation? It just isn't.

How is it that when Kerry misses a meeting, or lots of meetings, the
only possibility is that he's off screwing around wasting tax payers
money (mind you, I'm not saying he isn't - I'm just saying the issue is
never open to question.) But when Bush is in Crawford or Kennebunkport
27% of the time, he's obviously hard at work?

From an *objective* standpoint, can you tell me why he needs to be in
Crawford or Kennebunkport to do his job if it's not to be in a more
vacation-like atmosphere? Better satellite coverage in Crawford, maybe?
Or perhaps the decision enhancing nutrients inherent in Kennebunkport
lobsters?

My suspicion is that Kerry is screwing off some of the time and getting
more important work done some of the time when he's supposed to be in
meetings. And yes, Bush is probably getting a fair amount of work done
between beers in Crawford and Kennebunkport. I just find it ironic for
Bush supporters to point at Kerry's attendance record when Bush is
setting records for his time away from Washington in places generally
acknowledged to be more relaxation retreats than places associated with
conducting presidential business.

Crawford? Vacation? I guess you've never been to Crawford. I really
don't see a parallel between Kerry missing meetings on national security vs
where Bush gets work done. Voters are looking for someone who can make the
country safer and to make the evaluation you have to look at the resume, not
only at what they say now. Here's a guy who missed most of his meetings on
national security -- not a good thing by any stretch. People make time for
the things they believe are important.

dwhite

Dan White

"Al Spohn" wrote in message

Your point is well taken. And in the context of this thread, I think
anyone involved with bureaucracy can site tons of meetings where showing
up 10% of the time and getting real work done in meantime makes more
sense than a consistent attendance record. I don't know enough to say
that this is the case with the meetings Kerry is missing (although my
experience with the Defense Dept bureaucracy surely makes this a
believable possibility,) but I'm saying the concept at least warrants
investigation before condemning him.

OK, bottom line, no BS. You have a guy tooting his horn on how he is a
member of the security council and that is a real feather in his cap at this
point in time. Then you find out he missed most of the meetings, staff or
no staff, he missed them. Doesn't this mean anything? How can an observer
not think this is a negative?

dwhite

Dan White

"Al Spohn" wrote in message
In article , dwhite110
@optonline.net says...

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
om...
Dave Hinz wrote in message

And whose fault is that? Kerry voted to approve the war too,

remember?
He also said, a week or two ago, that even knowing what he knows

now,
he'd _still_ vote to approve going to war. How do you reconcile

that
with yourself, I wonder?

No, Kerry did not vote to approve the war. The Congress did not
declare war. That's like saying that a law thar permits police
officers to carry guns is approval of every shooting by a police
officer.

No offense intended, but the quote above and the rest of this post is a
complete load of crap, sorry, and is exactly the kind of obfuscation

that is
going to lose the election for Kerry. Kerry and practically everybody

else
gave the president the authority to act. The rest is splitting hairs

and
political maneuvering. Anybody who is really watching can see that

Kerry's
position on the war is complely, exclusively driven by the polls.

Right, and Bush is completely above any influence by the polls,
obfuscation or political maneuvering.

I don't think Bush's war on terror is poll driven. It is actually
potentially disastrous politically. The "hey, everybody in Washington does
it" was the favorite response of Clinton supporters in the rare cases where
you actually got them to think logically. I don't totally disagree with
you, but there are degrees of influence. For example I can't imagine, ever,
that Bush would take a poll on where he should vacation or what kind of tie
he should wear.

dwhite

Anyone that is in a position to
run for president cannot get there without being a self-serving, self
absorbed (and rarely self-made) individual. The question is whether or
not the person that gets elected, whether in a moment of boredom or
possibly even guilt (unlikely) is ever actually capable of making a
decision putting the country's interest ahead of their own. I say that
if you elect a person capable of doing that 10% of the time, you have a
winner - and that's the best you can expect. The tie-breaking bonus is
in finding a candidate whose personal interest happen to coincide with
the best interests of the country. Someday I hope to be proven wrong,
but I don't think it's going to be this time around.
/fatalism :-)

- Al
(self-absorbed, but otherwise lacking the credentials to run for office)

Al Spohn

In article , dwhite110
@optonline.net says...
"Al Spohn" wrote in message

Your point is well taken. And in the context of this thread, I think
anyone involved with bureaucracy can site tons of meetings where showing
up 10% of the time and getting real work done in meantime makes more
sense than a consistent attendance record. I don't know enough to say
that this is the case with the meetings Kerry is missing (although my
experience with the Defense Dept bureaucracy surely makes this a
believable possibility,) but I'm saying the concept at least warrants
investigation before condemning him.

OK, bottom line, no BS.

Woops, that rules me out right off the bat :-)

You have a guy tooting his horn on how he is a
member of the security council and that is a real feather in his cap at this
point in time. Then you find out he missed most of the meetings, staff or
no staff, he missed them. Doesn't this mean anything? How can an observer
not think this is a negative?

I'll grant you that it comes off as negative. For me it merely
reinforces the fact that he is a windbag, which is to say, a politician.
It's just that I get the impression that when something looks overtly
negative on it's face when it comes to Bush, his supporters are always
willing to delve into details and examine circumstances (e.g., NG
service... "Woops, I guess where did those dang records go?") but with
Kerry (e.g., missed meetings) a simple "gimme a break" is all the
consideration that is warranted. I know that goes both ways - I'm
probably just sensitized to the Kerry treatment because I (grudgingly)
come down on his side by a fairly narrow margin.

- Al

Al Spohn

In article , dwhite110
@optonline.net says...
[...]
I don't think Bush's war on terror is poll driven. It is actually
potentially disastrous politically. The "hey, everybody in Washington does
it" was the favorite response of Clinton supporters in the rare cases where
you actually got them to think logically. I don't totally disagree with
you, but there are degrees of influence. For example I can't imagine, ever,
that Bush would take a poll on where he should vacation or what kind of tie
he should wear.

You give him more credit than I do. Post 9/11, an aggressive offensive
on terror was essentially a mandate. Plus, I don't think he believes it
is potentially disastrous politically. On top of that, having pegged
Kerry as being wishy-washy, he has very little choice but to stay the
course. And, tragically, I think he really believes it will pay off in
the long run.

Did Clinton really poll on vacation spots and tie selection?

dwhite

- Al

Al Spohn

In article , dwhite110
@optonline.net says...
"Al Spohn" wrote in message
In article , dwhite110
@optonline.net says...
"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message

Anyone who scoffed at the notion that the mainstream press (CBS in
particular) is liberal can just shut up now, I guess.

Before 9/11 I would have believed this, but since then I have learned

that
people are unable to get past their political biases and see the truth.

It
is an amazing thing.

I guess I'd call myself a liberal, and I agree that to say the
mainstream press doesn't have a liberal bent is rediculous (with the
obvious exception of Fox.) Like I said earlier, political sympathies
aside, it was sweet to see CBS/Rather take it in the shorts. Maybe we
can look forward to Dateline cooking something up now if they're bored
with sabatoging motor vehicles :-)

- Al

I think liberals and conservatives both benefit in the long run when the
press is not slanted too much either way.

dwhite

I agree completely.
Al

Swingman

"Al Spohn" wrote in message

I think liberals and conservatives both benefit in the long run when

the
press is not slanted too much either way.

dwhite

I agree completely.
Al

Personally, I don't give a damn whether a press/media organization is
"slanted" just as long as they are upfront and don't try to hide it. For
that very reason I can enjoy reading Molly Ivins and Bill O'Reilly on the
same cup of coffee.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Al Spohn

In article , dwhite110
@optonline.net says...
[...]
No, I agree with you there. Bottom line is I see two candidates before us.
One who understands the challenges in the world today and is acting on it,
and one who is just saying anything to get elected.

That's the crux of where we differ. I see one big-haired, predictably
political candidate with a somewhat bland agenda, that when taken in
total, generally promises a less dangerous and otherwise better future
for the country. I see another arriving on the national scene purely by
birthright, driven by special interests, utterly helpless and
universally disrespected in the world of diplomacy, environmentally
comatose, and prone to excessive manipulation by advisors with truly
diabolical intentions (but I like his wife and admire his running
ability.)

- Al

[...]

Swingman

"Al Spohn" wrote in message

I see one big-haired, predictably
political candidate with a somewhat bland agenda, that when taken in
total, generally promises a less dangerous and otherwise better future
for the country. I see another arriving on the national scene purely by
birthright, driven by special interests, utterly helpless and
universally disrespected in the world of diplomacy, environmentally
comatose, and prone to excessive manipulation by advisors with truly
diabolical intentions (but I like his wife and admire his running
ability.)

- Al

ROTFLMAO!! ... you just may have something there, Al!

;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Dan White

"Al Spohn" wrote in message
In article , dwhite110
@optonline.net says...
[...]
No, I agree with you there. Bottom line is I see two candidates before

us.
One who understands the challenges in the world today and is acting on

it,
and one who is just saying anything to get elected.

That's the crux of where we differ. I see one big-haired, predictably
political candidate with a somewhat bland agenda, that when taken in
total, generally promises a less dangerous and otherwise better future
for the country.

His promise for a less dangerous and better future with no apparent plan of
action to get us there somehow seems convincing to you??? What am I missing
here? I mean, what else is he going to say?

I see another arriving on the national scene purely by
birthright, driven by special interests, utterly helpless and
universally disrespected in the world of diplomacy, environmentally
comatose, and prone to excessive manipulation by advisors with truly
diabolical intentions (but I like his wife and admire his running
ability.)

Al, this is just all really over the top. Bush has shown he and his admin
are anything but helpless. In fact, he sees his pivotal place in history
and is doing the right thing despite the naysayers who have their own
pecadillos. I think sometimes that Bush is just a sounding board for angry
people to bounce their frustration off of.

dwhite

JMartin957

Reportedly so, yes. That is the reason, I believe, he went to Martha's
Vineyard one year. He is also famous for staging "unscripted" moments like
when he placed stones in the shape of a cross while at Normandy while a
hundred reporters watched. Problem is there are normally no stones on that
beach.

dwhite

I don't recall the stones. But I do remember seeing him kneel down to
straighten a flag that had fallen over in one of the cemeteries. And I do
remember seeing him look back over his shoulder to make sure the cameras were
on before he straightened it.

John Martin

John213a

Is lying about the reason for a war an impeachable offense?

No, but off topic posting political crap to a woodworking newsgroup should be.

It isn't even a board in any parties platform.