Woodworking (rec.woodworking) Discussion forum covering all aspects of working with wood. All levels of expertise are encouraged to particiapte.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 05:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,795
Default How to remove tile glue?

Nephew's house, an old farm built in the 1940s, original hardwood floors. Tile flooring added in 1970s, then later topped with carpet.

They are remodeling/updating. They want to restore the hardwood floors.
The old tile has black glue adhesive. The glue is removable with kerosene, but they don't want the lingering kerosene odor.

I haven't seen the stuff, was only sent pics. We need advice for removing this glue the easiest way. I don't know what kind of glue this is, though I think it may be contact cement.

Any input and advice is welcome as to how may be the best way, the best product to use to remove the glue. Might any of you guys know?

Pics, scroll right for 3 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Thanks for any help.
Sonny

  #2   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 05:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,795
Default How to remove tile glue?

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 10:51:31 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

Any input and advice is welcome as to how may be the best way, the best product to use to remove the glue. Might any of you guys know?


I suppose a solvent is needed. What kind, brand that has the least odor?

Or some other method of removal without damaging the floor?

Thanks.
Sonny
  #3   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,795
Default How to remove tile glue?

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 10:55:02 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

Error on that above link. Try this one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
  #4   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 06:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,829
Default How to remove tile glue?

On 11/12/2020 11:00 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 10:55:02 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

Error on that above link. Try this one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/



There is probably no easy solution. I would think that most any product
to dissolve the old adhesive will leave a lingering odor.
Maybe acetone, it evaporates pretty quickly. But use in a WELL
ventilated area!!!

Then,

I would try sanding with a very coarse grit sand paper to help prevent
loading.

Alternatively, a new engineered floor on top.
  #5   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 06:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,584
Default How to remove tile glue?

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 11:51:31 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
Nephew's house, an old farm built in the 1940s, original hardwood floors. Tile flooring added in 1970s, then later topped with carpet.

They are remodeling/updating. They want to restore the hardwood floors.
The old tile has black glue adhesive. The glue is removable with kerosene, but they don't want the lingering kerosene odor.

I haven't seen the stuff, was only sent pics. We need advice for removing this glue the easiest way. I don't know what kind of glue this is, though I think it may be contact cement.

Any input and advice is welcome as to how may be the best way, the best product to use to remove the glue. Might any of you guys know?

Pics, scroll right for 3 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Thanks for any help.
Sonny


Careful! Some black mastics contain asbestos. Something worth investing before considering sanding it off.

https://www.thespruce.com/can-i-remo...r-tile-1821091

"Does My Floor Have Asbestos-Based Floor Adhesive?
Containing between 15 and 85 percent asbestos, these adhesives were manufactured mostly in the first half of the 20th century. However, some companies produced asbestos adhesives as late as 1984. Therefore, if your house was built or remodeled around 1984 or before, there is a chance that black mastic adhesive on your floor may contain asbestos."



  #6   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 06:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,639
Default How to remove tile glue?

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 09:29:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 11:51:31 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
Nephew's house, an old farm built in the 1940s, original hardwood floors. Tile flooring added in 1970s, then later topped with carpet.

They are remodeling/updating. They want to restore the hardwood floors.
The old tile has black glue adhesive. The glue is removable with kerosene, but they don't want the lingering kerosene odor.

I haven't seen the stuff, was only sent pics. We need advice for removing this glue the easiest way. I don't know what kind of glue this is, though I think it may be contact cement.

Any input and advice is welcome as to how may be the best way, the best product to use to remove the glue. Might any of you guys know?

Pics, scroll right for 3 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Thanks for any help.
Sonny


Careful! Some black mastics contain asbestos. Something worth investing before considering sanding it off.

https://www.thespruce.com/can-i-remo...r-tile-1821091

"Does My Floor Have Asbestos-Based Floor Adhesive?
Containing between 15 and 85 percent asbestos, these adhesives were manufactured mostly in the first half of the 20th century. However, some companies produced asbestos adhesives as late as 1984. Therefore, if your house was built or remodeled around 1984 or before, there is a chance that black mastic adhesive on your floor may contain asbestos."



Also - normal dust masks are not useful to protect against asbestos
- proper respirators are a must - properly worn - along with
all the other safety precautions. When I went through some training
many years ago - the instructor even warned against having a 2 or 3
day beard stubble - it would affect the seal on a proper respirator.
John T.

  #7   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2010
Posts: 157
Default How to remove tile glue?

On 11/12/2020 12:17 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/12/2020 11:00 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 10:55:02 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

Error on that above link.* Try this one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/




There is probably no easy solution.* I would think that most any product
to dissolve the old adhesive will leave a lingering odor.
Maybe acetone, it evaporates pretty quickly. But use in a WELL
ventilated area!!!

Then,

I would try sanding with a very coarse grit sand paper to help prevent
loading.

Alternatively, a new engineered floor on top.

I did a quick google search and found this
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove...ors-68880.html

It recommends using heat and a scraper. There are other articles that
say use hot water to soften the glue, but as stated in the above
article there is the possibility of damaging the wood.

Being from the 1940, I suspect the wood is thick enough that once the
glue is mostly gone the standard sanding and varnish treatment should
return the wood to its 1940 condition.


One warning, once you are finishing the floors, remember SPONTANEOUS
COMBUSTION. It is not a theoretical concept to be studied in school,
but real and could cause a fire that would burn the house down.

  #8   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 07:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,795
Default How to remove tile glue?

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 11:34:39 AM UTC-6,
Maybe too late now - but many of the 9 inch tiles from that era
and older had asbestos in the backing - some special care is
required for removal.


John T.


DerbyDad03 wrote:


Thanks guys. Never thought of an asbestos issue. Channon did say there was a paper backing on the tiles, if he was able to determine it was actually paper. He also doesn't know of these things.

Sonny
  #9   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 07:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,795
Default How to remove tile glue?

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 11:18:00 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

There is probably no easy solution. I would think that most any product
to dissolve the old adhesive will leave a lingering odor.
Maybe acetone, it evaporates pretty quickly. But use in a WELL
ventilated area!!!

Then,

I would try sanding with a very coarse grit sand paper to help prevent
loading.

Alternatively, a new engineered floor on top.


Yeah, even with my lack of knowledge, I suspected there is no easy remedy.

Thanks.
Sonny
  #10   Report Post  
Old November 12th 20, 08:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 567
Default How to remove tile glue?

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 1:27:53 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 11:18:00 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

There is probably no easy solution. I would think that most any product
to dissolve the old adhesive will leave a lingering odor.
Maybe acetone, it evaporates pretty quickly. But use in a WELL
ventilated area!!!

Then,

I would try sanding with a very coarse grit sand paper to help prevent
loading.

Alternatively, a new engineered floor on top.

Yeah, even with my lack of knowledge, I suspected there is no easy remedy.

Thanks.
Sonny


Try googling mastic remover they do have some that claim to be low odor/odor free.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What will remove the glue from "Mouse Glue Traps". [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 26th 18 10:23 PM
Too remove or not remove rubbery floor glue? Tim S UK diy 5 March 22nd 09 11:01 PM
Old tile - To remove or not to remove... rb608 Home Repair 3 July 12th 06 05:06 AM
Removed vinyl tile... How do I remove glue on concrete slab? Al Kondo Home Repair 5 January 16th 06 12:24 PM
How to remove glue left from old kitchen wall tile?? Steve Home Repair 5 February 11th 05 02:00 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017