Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default How to remove tile glue?

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 09:29:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 11:51:31 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
Nephew's house, an old farm built in the 1940s, original hardwood floors. Tile flooring added in 1970s, then later topped with carpet.

They are remodeling/updating. They want to restore the hardwood floors.
The old tile has black glue adhesive. The glue is removable with kerosene, but they don't want the lingering kerosene odor.

I haven't seen the stuff, was only sent pics. We need advice for removing this glue the easiest way. I don't know what kind of glue this is, though I think it may be contact cement.

Any input and advice is welcome as to how may be the best way, the best product to use to remove the glue. Might any of you guys know?

Pics, scroll right for 3 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Thanks for any help.
Sonny

Careful! Some black mastics contain asbestos. Something worth investing before considering sanding it off.

https://www.thespruce.com/can-i-remo...r-tile-1821091

"Does My Floor Have Asbestos-Based Floor Adhesive?
Containing between 15 and 85 percent asbestos, these adhesives were manufactured mostly in the first half of the 20th century. However, some companies produced asbestos adhesives as late as 1984. Therefore, if your house was built or remodeled around 1984 or before, there is a chance that black mastic adhesive on your floor may contain asbestos."

Also - normal dust masks are not useful to protect against asbestos
- proper respirators are a must - properly worn - along with
all the other safety precautions. When I went through some training
many years ago - the instructor even warned against having a 2 or 3
day beard stubble - it would affect the seal on a proper respirator.
John T.