Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default How to remove tile glue?

On 11/12/2020 12:17 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/12/2020 11:00 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 10:55:02 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

Error on that above link.Â* Try this one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

There is probably no easy solution.Â* I would think that most any product
to dissolve the old adhesive will leave a lingering odor.
Maybe acetone, it evaporates pretty quickly. But use in a WELL
ventilated area!!!

Then,

I would try sanding with a very coarse grit sand paper to help prevent

Alternatively, a new engineered floor on top.

I did a quick google search and found this
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove...ors-68880.html

It recommends using heat and a scraper. There are other articles that
say use hot water to soften the glue, but as stated in the above
article there is the possibility of damaging the wood.

Being from the 1940, I suspect the wood is thick enough that once the
glue is mostly gone the standard sanding and varnish treatment should
return the wood to its 1940 condition.

One warning, once you are finishing the floors, remember SPONTANEOUS
COMBUSTION. It is not a theoretical concept to be studied in school,
but real and could cause a fire that would burn the house down.