Eugene

Jay Pique wrote:

I'm thinking of how I'm going to transport my finished cabinetry once
it's ready to install. An old U-Haul truck would be nice I guess, but
I'm concerned about the cost of keeping up, insuring and driving a
full-on cube truck. What I am wondering is if a large (TALL) enclosed
trailer would suit my needs?

I'd like to have it equipped with a full set - and I mean 100%
complete - of tools necessary to install the cabinets and
architectural woodworking I plan on building. At the shop I *was*
working, it is a gigantic cluster**** whenever we'd go to an install,
running around grabbing a tool here and a tool there and then not
having what we need and spending precious manhours taxiing back and
forth to the shop.

Anyone have any experience with this?

JP
********************
Semi-skilled cabinetmaker looking for a high-end custom cabinetry shop
to work at. I bring my own hand tools and measuring devices and I'm
ready to learn. During the day I'll bust my ass to get done what
needs to be done, and at night I'd like access to the shop to hone my
skills on my own projects and to teach myself how to read blueprints.
Email me if you're looking for this type of employee.

I've seen a box trailer, a box truck, even a old high-top conversion van
with used as a shop.
With a trailer your still going to have to keep up with a vehicle to pull
it, tools are heavy so your going to need full size truck, surburban,
expedition to handle the load with a tranny cooler, brake controller, all
that fun stuff.
Funny you should mention it the "while you were out" trailer is on TLC at
the moment, there are about a dozen of those shows all having shops in a
trailer you can look at for ideas.

DanG

JP,

I really enjoyed your signature block. I hope the right person
reads it. Post again at alt.building.construction - same message
and question. You might give a general idea of where you are or
where you want to go.

Here is my response to your original question. My crew has 3
trucks and a shop. One truck does not carry tools. I have
painted the tools from each truck a different color to ease
putting the tools back on the correct truck. There will always be
the problem of guys being tired and just throwing the tools in a
bucket on the back of the truck. You will always here someone
say, "It must be on the 1 ton" oh, "I left that in the shop when
we had to take it in for. . . . ." We do fairly well, the odds
are greatly increased with the color code and, more importantly,
having a particular place for each tool. Labels on shelves or
drawers, similar arrangement to different trucks, redistributing
those tools every morning or at least at the end of each job
sequence all help.

When you are paying the bills, remember how many dollars of
payroll, fuel, mileage, upset customer you went through for a $300
battery drill. Sometimes the tool purchase hurts, but in a years
time it is sure chicken feed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
news
[...]

Brad Bruce

Jay Pique wrote:
[...]

1. Do you have all the tools currently?
If so; how much space do they take up?

2. You might want to call around for a custom trailer manufacturer.
That way you'll be able to store all of the tools and each will have its
place.

3. Having access to the tools from the outside (flip up doored bins) can
make life easier. You'll need good locks on them unless you store it in
a secured area.

4. If the trailer is too big, it becomes difficult to manuever.

5. Hire a good sign painter to paint your business info on the BACK and
sides of the trailer

Brad
Ron Bean

Jay Pique writes:

I'd like to have it equipped with a full set - and I mean 100%
complete - of tools necessary to install the cabinets and
architectural woodworking I plan on building. At the shop I *was*
working, it is a gigantic cluster**** whenever we'd go to an install,
running around grabbing a tool here and a tool there and then not
having what we need and spending precious manhours taxiing back and
forth to the shop.

The local bookstore has several books about toolboxes; one of
them had a bunch of examples of large portable jobsite boxes.
I didn't buy it so I don't remember the title, but a well-stocked
bookstore might have it.

AL

The Toolbox Book by Tolpin has a chapter dedicated to a workshop built into
the back of a full-size van. An enclosed trailer is roughly the same size,
so I'm sure it will work fine. But the question I have is where you will be
going to install your cabinets. If you're out in a rural area or in the
suburbs, you'll be just fine. But if you'll be visiting customers in the
city, you'll have problems maneuvering and parking your trailer and the
full-size truck required to tow it.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
news
[...]

D. Mo

Sounds like it would work. Though you are still going to need a good truck
to pull it with.

My own mobile shop was built into the back of a 75 international step van.
Even threw in a power converter for remote locations.. I was doing mostly
sheds and garages.

D. Mo

J T

Sat, Sep 4, 2004, 5:49pm (Jay=A0Pique) claims:
I'm thinking of how I'm going to transport my finished cabinetry once
it's ready to install. An old U-Haul truck would be nice I guess, but
I'm concerned about the cost of keeping up, insuring and driving a
full-on cube truck. What I am wondering is if a large (TALL) enclosed
trailer would suit my needs?
I'd like to have it equipped with a full set - and I mean 100% complete
- of tools necessary to install the cabinets and architectural
woodworking I plan on building. snip

OK, you've succeeded in confusing me.

You start out by wanting to transport finished cabinetry. Truck or
trailer? Then you're saying you'd like to carry along a full set of
tools too.

What you leave out is: What size cabinetry are you talking about?
Something that's going to take a huge truck or trailer to carry? Maybe
a pickup and tall campershell? Or, maybe just a van? And, how many
tools are you talking about? A complete woodworking shop? (In that
case, maybe a truck AND trailer.) Or would a pickup toolbox hold
everything?

I've seen people do just what you're asking, using an old post
office mail delivery van.

You can always get a cube van, and use it as primary transprtation
too, get rid of your car. That'll cut down insurance, etc., plus be a
rolling advertisement (I'm taking it you'll have your business name
painted on it).

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

Attaboy:
http://www.dailywav.com/0702/attaboy5.wav

Jay Pique

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:45:25 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

Sat, Sep 4, 2004, 5:49pm
(Jay*Pique) claims:
I'm thinking of how I'm going to transport my finished cabinetry once
it's ready to install. An old U-Haul truck would be nice I guess, but
I'm concerned about the cost of keeping up, insuring and driving a
full-on cube truck. What I am wondering is if a large (TALL) enclosed
trailer would suit my needs?
I'd like to have it equipped with a full set - and I mean 100% complete
- of tools necessary to install the cabinets and architectural
woodworking I plan on building. snip

OK, you've succeeded in confusing me.

I've got a knack for it - I confuse myself almost constantly.

You start out by wanting to transport finished cabinetry. Truck or
trailer? Then you're saying you'd like to carry along a full set of
tools too.

My thought was to use a trailer, that way I can just have a shop
pick-up as opposed to a truck and a pick-up. WRT tools, I'd like to
carry a full set of tools that would "normally" be used to install
kitechen cabinetry and home office type stuff.

What you leave out is: What size cabinetry are you talking about?
Something that's going to take a huge truck or trailer to carry? Maybe
a pickup and tall campershell? Or, maybe just a van? And, how many
tools are you talking about? A complete woodworking shop? (In that
case, maybe a truck AND trailer.) Or would a pickup toolbox hold
everything?

Not a full shop - just enough to get through 95% of the installlations
you're likely to encounter. If you have a duplicate set of tools for
installs, then you don't have to worry about forgetting something when
you head out the door. Plus, the guys back at the shop won't be
without a particular tool that you have on site. IMO the cost of the
extra tools will be more than offset by the efficiency gains. YMMV.

I've seen people do just what you're asking, using an old post
office mail delivery van.

There's an idea I hadn't thought of. I was thinking u-haul truck, but
an old UPS truck might do the trick as well.

You can always get a cube van, and use it as primary transprtation
too, get rid of your car. That'll cut down insurance, etc., plus be a
rolling advertisement (I'm taking it you'll have your business name
painted on it).

Ugh. I'm not sure I'd want to wheel around in a cube van day in, day
out. A trailer could also be painted with my business info as well.
Who knows....it's all just a dream right now!

JP
*************
Meliora.
Ron Bean

"AL" writes:

The Toolbox Book by Tolpin has a chapter dedicated to a workshop built into
the back of a full-size van. An enclosed trailer is roughly the same size,
so I'm sure it will work fine.

That's also the book I was thinking of that has a chapter on
large wheeled jobsite toolboxes. The advantage of a separate box
is that you might not be able to park right next to the worksite,
but you can take your entire toolkit inside with you.
The largest ones are probably about the same size as one of your
finished cabinets, so any truck or trailer that can carry one
will be able to carry the other.

Anthony VanCampen

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 17:49:59 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:

I'm thinking of how I'm going to transport my finished cabinetry once
it's ready to install. An old U-Haul truck would be nice I guess, but
I'm concerned about the cost of keeping up, insuring and driving a
full-on cube truck. What I am wondering is if a large (TALL) enclosed
trailer would suit my needs?

I'd like to have it equipped with a full set - and I mean 100%
complete - of tools necessary to install the cabinets and
architectural woodworking I plan on building. At the shop I *was*
working, it is a gigantic cluster**** whenever we'd go to an install,
running around grabbing a tool here and a tool there and then not
having what we need and spending precious manhours taxiing back and
forth to the shop.

Anyone have any experience with this?

No experience but got a catalog in the mail this week that might help some

American Van
http://www.AmericanVan.com