Brikp

Default TS outfeed / workbenck setup question

In my limited experience I have never seen or heard of this being done. I
want to know if I am nutz, misguided, mis-informed, ignorant or brilliant!

My Griz 1023s table saw and mobile base is on its way. I need a general
purpose workbench as well. I was thinking that once I had my TS in place
where I would use it most of the time that I would build my workbench at the
same height and butt up against the table saw table. I figure I could use
this as an outfeed table when needed and as a general purpose bench at other
times. I was also thinking of incorporating a router and some t-tracks.
Storage and compressor underneath.

Good or bad idea?

TIA

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:29:57 -0400, "Brikp" wrote:

In my limited experience I have never seen or heard of this being done. I
want to know if I am nutz, misguided, mis-informed, ignorant or brilliant!

My Griz 1023s table saw and mobile base is on its way. I need a general
purpose workbench as well. I was thinking that once I had my TS in place
where I would use it most of the time that I would build my workbench at the
same height and butt up against the table saw table. I figure I could use
this as an outfeed table when needed and as a general purpose bench at other
times. I was also thinking of incorporating a router and some t-tracks.
Storage and compressor underneath.

For the most part, probably not a bad idea, but I'd make it an assembly
table rather than workbench. The tablesaw height is a bit low for a
workbench unless you are fairly short; you are likely to cause yourself
significant back pain by having to stoop over the bench for extended
periods. Storage under the outfeed table is a brilliant idea (that' what I
do :-) ).

Good or bad idea?

TIA

Brikp

Thanks for the fast reply

BTW - The plan calls for a wall attached bench with front legs to floor. The
saw will be able to re-locate, not the bench. Will this make a difference?

wrote:

[...]

Upscale

"Brikp" wrote in message
Thanks for the fast reply

BTW - The plan calls for a wall attached bench with front legs to floor.

The
saw will be able to re-locate, not the bench. Will this make a difference?

Not as long as you're sure that the table saw and the bench are the same
level and on the same angle if any. It would also help tremendously if the
leading edge of the bench was rounded a little with a quarter round router
bit or something similar. Not sure if you want to do that to a bench, but it
would be entirely appropriate with a work/outfeed table. Prevents sudden
binding when pushing stock off the table saw.

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:46:00 -0400, "Brikp" wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply

BTW - The plan calls for a wall attached bench with front legs to floor. The
saw will be able to re-locate, not the bench. Will this make a difference?

I'm having a hard time picturing how you will use a wall-attached bench
as an outfeed table -- you are either going to run into problems with width
or length unless I'm missing something here.

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Dave jackson

It must be a great idea, cuz that's what i use! Any way, i took a couple
of old cabinets and screwed them to a 3/4 plywood base about 2ft. apart.
then added a double layer of laminated 3/4 mdf on top. finally added
casters so it's mobile. Built in the router table in the 2' space between
the cabinets. works well as a outfeed table, assembly bench, router table
and storage for sanders, router bits etc. Its about 2'x6'. --dave

"Brikp" wrote in message
In my limited experience I have never seen or heard of this being done. I
want to know if I am nutz, misguided, mis-informed, ignorant or brilliant!

My Griz 1023s table saw and mobile base is on its way. I need a general
purpose workbench as well. I was thinking that once I had my TS in place
where I would use it most of the time that I would build my workbench at

the
same height and butt up against the table saw table. I figure I could use
this as an outfeed table when needed and as a general purpose bench at

other
times. I was also thinking of incorporating a router and some t-tracks.
Storage and compressor underneath.

Good or bad idea?

TIA

Lewis Hartswick

Brikp wrote:
I was thinking that once I had my TS in place
where I would use it most of the time that I would build my workbench at the
same height and butt up against the table saw table. I figure I could use
this as an outfeed table when needed and as a general purpose bench at other

Good or bad idea?

Well the only thing wrong with it that I can see is about a 99% chance
that the bench will be full of "stuff" when you want to use the saw.
:-)
...lew...
Greg Millen

I have a bench on my site that may give you some ideas, the design is very
flexible and may suit what you want. I use it to store wood, as the wood
uses an incredible amount of space when just stacked around the shop.

http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/w...ench\index.htm

and some more at:
http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/bench\index.htm

vise is shown at:
http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/Vise\index.htm

--
Greg
http://rec.woodworking.homeip.net/wood/

"Brikp" wrote in message ...
In my limited experience I have never seen or heard of this being done. I
want to know if I am nutz, misguided, mis-informed, ignorant or brilliant!

My Griz 1023s table saw and mobile base is on its way. I need a general
purpose workbench as well. I was thinking that once I had my TS in place
where I would use it most of the time that I would build my workbench at
the
same height and butt up against the table saw table. I figure I could use
this as an outfeed table when needed and as a general purpose bench at
other
times. I was also thinking of incorporating a router and some t-tracks.
Storage and compressor underneath.

Good or bad idea?

TIA

Lenny

Well the only thing wrong with it that I can see is about a 99% chance
that the bench will be full of "stuff" when you want to use the saw.
:-)
...lew...

I gotta agree with that one. In my shop it's "any horizontal surface".

=0 )
Lenny

rllipham

I had the same problem. I had an assembly table/ workbench built prior
to getting a used Unisaw (tiny gloat -- I have a Unisaw!!!).

I placed my saw about 40" from the table. I built a MDF 2 table tops
to fit between the two. I have a lip on one end of the table and a
Bies fence rail at the outfeed of the saw. I just drop the sections in
and have a full outfeed system. I have slots in the table for the
miter slots. the table addition is not level but it is not necessary.
I can pull the tops out to get access to the rear of the saw.

Works great.

Did I mention I have a Unisaw.

wrote:

In my limited experience I have never seen or heard of this being done. I
want to know if I am nutz, misguided, mis-informed, ignorant or brilliant!

My Griz 1023s table saw and mobile base is on its way. I need a general
purpose workbench as well. I was thinking that once I had my TS in place
where I would use it most of the time that I would build my workbench at the
same height and butt up against the table saw table. I figure I could use
this as an outfeed table when needed and as a general purpose bench at other
times. I was also thinking of incorporating a router and some t-tracks.
Storage and compressor underneath.

Good or bad idea?

TIA

that's how my shop is set up. there are times when it's a pain- I'm
assembling some big cabinet and need to rip a strip of wood for a
filler or a ledger or something but the outfeed table is taken up with
this large cabinet that is half assembled, so it's too fragile to be
moved.

otherwise it works out fine....
patriarch

wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

My outfeed table folds down from the back of the saw. It's supported by a
folding work support from HD. I like this plan for several reasons:

* I can 'aim' my saw out the garage door, and so need not dedicate inside
space to the outfeed table.

* I have to clear the table to close & secure the garage/shop. This
enforces neatness that otherwise does not come naturally.

* This leaves my primary workbench free for other uses. At least, it
usually does. My bench is at saw height because it gets used to assist
with infeed on long rips cuts, particularly with sheet goods.

Now, if you're working in a basement shop, this won't work the same way.
And you might not be able to glue up large projects on the driveway as
easily, either.

Patriarch,
who dreams of a really large shop, and time to work in it.

patriarch

"FL_Wood" wrote in
m:

Do you have a picture of your outfeed table?

No, although I could take one, I guess. These were some of the inspiration
for what I built.

http://members.aol.com/Alamaral/Outfeed.html

http://www.sawsndust.com/p-outfeed.htm

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb....html--SiteID-
639331.html (watch the wrap)

Google can probably find you more...

I haven't done the website thing just yet...

Patriarch

Brikp

Thanks all - The saw should be athe the shippers depot tomorrow. I ran the
new dedicated 220 circuit on Saturday. I'll be making sawdust by weeks end.

"Brikp" wrote in message
In my limited experience I have never seen or heard of this being done. I
want to know if I am nutz, misguided, mis-informed, ignorant or brilliant!

My Griz 1023s table saw and mobile base is on its way. I need a general
purpose workbench as well. I was thinking that once I had my TS in place
where I would use it most of the time that I would build my workbench at

the
same height and butt up against the table saw table. I figure I could use
this as an outfeed table when needed and as a general purpose bench at

other
times. I was also thinking of incorporating a router and some t-tracks.
Storage and compressor underneath.

Good or bad idea?

TIA

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
PC audio setup for home office Ian Mayo UK diy 6 October 23rd 03 12:40 AM