patriarch

wrote in
:

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:29:57 -0400, "Brikp"
wrote:

In my limited experience I have never seen or heard of this being
done. I want to know if I am nutz, misguided, mis-informed, ignorant
or brilliant!

My Griz 1023s table saw and mobile base is on its way. I need a
general purpose workbench as well. I was thinking that once I had my
TS in place where I would use it most of the time that I would build
my workbench at the same height and butt up against the table saw
table. I figure I could use this as an outfeed table when needed and
as a general purpose bench at other times. I was also thinking of
incorporating a router and some t-tracks. Storage and compressor
underneath.

Good or bad idea?

TIA

that's how my shop is set up. there are times when it's a pain- I'm
assembling some big cabinet and need to rip a strip of wood for a
filler or a ledger or something but the outfeed table is taken up with
this large cabinet that is half assembled, so it's too fragile to be
moved.

otherwise it works out fine....

My outfeed table folds down from the back of the saw. It's supported by a
folding work support from HD. I like this plan for several reasons:

* I can 'aim' my saw out the garage door, and so need not dedicate inside
space to the outfeed table.

* I have to clear the table to close & secure the garage/shop. This
enforces neatness that otherwise does not come naturally.

* This leaves my primary workbench free for other uses. At least, it
usually does. My bench is at saw height because it gets used to assist
with infeed on long rips cuts, particularly with sheet goods.

Now, if you're working in a basement shop, this won't work the same way.
And you might not be able to glue up large projects on the driveway as
easily, either.

Patriarch,
who dreams of a really large shop, and time to work in it.