Jay Pique

Default Template Bandsawing

Anyone with any experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see
that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -
(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&ccurre ncy=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:02:46 -0400, Jay Pique
wrote:

Anyone with any experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see
that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -
(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&ccurre ncy=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

bandsaws do inside corners fine, but they don't leave a great surface.
I'd probably bandsaw 1/8" oversize, clean up with the router and get
the corners with a chisel.

what are you making?
Routerman P. Warner

I would not use cutter 3/4 in diameter for trim cut. Doubt that there
is a bearing/cutter/trimmer (shank bearing) that is 3/4 anyway.
Some data on trimmers at the http://www.patwarner.com/patternbits.html
link.
**************************************
Anyone with any experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see
that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -
(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&ccurre ncy=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

George

I flipped the piece and used it as its own template for the second pass when
I needed a pattern on 2" stock.

om...

(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...2C41036&SID=&c
currency=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

Michael Latcha

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
Anyone with any experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see
that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -

(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...2C41036&SID=&c
currency=2)

I used the LV duplicator to make 6 sets out of 1/4" baltic birch plywood of
the following manipulatives for handwriting instruction:

http://www.hwtears.com/woodpieces.htm

I made a master template of each of the curved pieces, as perfect as
possible, then cut the sets out 4 at a time with the double-sided tape that
came with the duplicator. Worked incredibly well, left a great finish
(started with a new 1/4" Timberwolf). All 144 pieces cut out, sanded (in
stacks of 4) and finished with BLO in 2 work sessions...

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Ron Magen

Jay,
A few years ago I got the same 'duplicator' from Hartville Tool. If anyone
can get it to work on anything but a STRAIGHT cut, or VERY GENTLE curve . .
.. let me know how.

I got it so I could make 8 cornices for a pergola-like Rose Arbor I was
making for Joanne. All it did for me was ruin the template {originally made
for drawing/routing}. It wouldn't follow the curve and cut off a corner
before I realized it.

The only 'technique' that seems to make 'engineering sense' is the simple
jig {the blade is 'captured' in a notch at the end of a rounded piece of
flat stock} illustrated in any number of bandsaw manuals. Chapter 5 in
Duginske's 'Band Saw' book, for example.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
- - -

"Jay Pique" wrote in message Anyone with any
experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see that LV has a
duplicator available for $20 -

Jay Pique

(
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&ccurre ncy=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

bandsaws do inside corners fine, but they don't leave a great surface.
I'd probably bandsaw 1/8" oversize, clean up with the router and get
the corners with a chisel.

what are you making?

Decorative right angle supports for under the eaves of a building.
They're going to be a full 3" thick, which complicates things a bit.

JP
George

Jay - my ISP's news is only current during the day, so excuse what appears a
piggyback.

If you're going to go a full 3", as your most recent post says, and you have
an Oscillating Spindle Sander, you can pattern sand your bandsawn roughs. I
made an insert for my JET which takes the inserts used for a router and
found it a pretty good way to go. Down into the 1/2" spindle size, though.

"George" george@least wrote in message
I flipped the piece and used it as its own template for the second pass

when
I needed a pattern on 2" stock.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

Jay Pique

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 06:39:05 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

If you're going to go a full 3", as your most recent post says, and you have
an Oscillating Spindle Sander, you can pattern sand your bandsawn roughs. I
made an insert for my JET which takes the inserts used for a router and
found it a pretty good way to go. Down into the 1/2" spindle size, though.

Could you please explain in a little more detail how you "pattern
sand" using an OSS? It looks like I'll have to make a ring to sit
above the table that the template can ride against. Problem is, it
will have to be bigger than the spindle itself, right?

JP