Jay Pique

Default Template Bandsawing

Anyone with any experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see
that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -
(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&ccurre ncy=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:02:46 -0400, Jay Pique
wrote:

Anyone with any experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see
that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -
(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&ccurre ncy=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

bandsaws do inside corners fine, but they don't leave a great surface.
I'd probably bandsaw 1/8" oversize, clean up with the router and get
the corners with a chisel.

what are you making?
Jay Pique

(
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&ccurre ncy=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

bandsaws do inside corners fine, but they don't leave a great surface.
I'd probably bandsaw 1/8" oversize, clean up with the router and get
the corners with a chisel.

what are you making?

Decorative right angle supports for under the eaves of a building.
They're going to be a full 3" thick, which complicates things a bit.

JP
Routerman P. Warner

I would not use cutter 3/4 in diameter for trim cut. Doubt that there
is a bearing/cutter/trimmer (shank bearing) that is 3/4 anyway.
Some data on trimmers at the http://www.patwarner.com/patternbits.html
link.
**************************************
Anyone with any experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see
that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -
(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&ccurre ncy=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

George

I flipped the piece and used it as its own template for the second pass when
I needed a pattern on 2" stock.

om...

(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...2C41036&SID=&c
currency=2)

I'd template rout, but there are a couple of sharp inside angles that
would have to be cleaned up anyhow, so if I could just do it on the
bandsaw that would be my preference.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

George

Jay - my ISP's news is only current during the day, so excuse what appears a
piggyback.

If you're going to go a full 3", as your most recent post says, and you have
an Oscillating Spindle Sander, you can pattern sand your bandsawn roughs. I
made an insert for my JET which takes the inserts used for a router and
found it a pretty good way to go. Down into the 1/2" spindle size, though.

"George" george@least wrote in message
I flipped the piece and used it as its own template for the second pass

when
I needed a pattern on 2" stock.

What's the minumum diameter pattern routing bit that would cut a full
1.5 inches of depth?

JP

Jay Pique

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 06:39:05 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

If you're going to go a full 3", as your most recent post says, and you have
an Oscillating Spindle Sander, you can pattern sand your bandsawn roughs. I
made an insert for my JET which takes the inserts used for a router and
found it a pretty good way to go. Down into the 1/2" spindle size, though.

Could you please explain in a little more detail how you "pattern
sand" using an OSS? It looks like I'll have to make a ring to sit
above the table that the template can ride against. Problem is, it
will have to be bigger than the spindle itself, right?

JP
Michael Latcha

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
Anyone with any experience with using a template on a bandsaw? I see
that LV has a duplicator available for $20 -

(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...2C41036&SID=&c
currency=2)

I used the LV duplicator to make 6 sets out of 1/4" baltic birch plywood of
the following manipulatives for handwriting instruction:

http://www.hwtears.com/woodpieces.htm

I made a master template of each of the curved pieces, as perfect as
possible, then cut the sets out 4 at a time with the double-sided tape that
came with the duplicator. Worked incredibly well, left a great finish
(started with a new 1/4" Timberwolf). All 144 pieces cut out, sanded (in
stacks of 4) and finished with BLO in 2 work sessions...

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Ron Magen

Jay,
A few years ago I got the same 'duplicator' from Hartville Tool. If anyone
can get it to work on anything but a STRAIGHT cut, or VERY GENTLE curve . .
.. let me know how.

I got it so I could make 8 cornices for a pergola-like Rose Arbor I was
making for Joanne. All it did for me was ruin the template {originally made
for drawing/routing}. It wouldn't follow the curve and cut off a corner
before I realized it.

The only 'technique' that seems to make 'engineering sense' is the simple
jig {the blade is 'captured' in a notch at the end of a rounded piece of
flat stock} illustrated in any number of bandsaw manuals. Chapter 5 in
Duginske's 'Band Saw' book, for example.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
- - -