BUB 209

Default Chicago Electric - Harbor Freight

I'm tempted to take the bait and put out 40.00 for a Chicago Electric 14"
die grinder at Harbor Freight - 39.00. Has anybody here got any experience
dealing with these dudes? My mouth is watering for that giant box of
crackerjack the tool is coming in, unless I get some bad reviews here.
toller

I have bought a number of things at Harbor Freight and have always been
satisfied. It probably will be noisier and more difficult to adjust than a
decent brand, and might wear out faster; but for the price it is probably a
good product.
At least that has been my experience.

AArDvarK

You think $14 more ain't too much for the Ingersoll Rand whole kit???
I don't... HF: 40681-7VGA that's the way to go big bro...

Alex

Tom Veatch

On 11 Aug 2004 01:32:09 GMT, (BUB 209) wrote:

I'm tempted to take the bait and put out 40.00 for a Chicago Electric 14"
die grinder at Harbor Freight - 39.00. Has anybody here got any experience
dealing with these dudes? My mouth is watering for that giant box of
crackerjack the tool is coming in, unless I get some bad reviews here.

I'm 2 for 3 with Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight) tools.

An 18v cordless drill sat on the shelf until after the warrantee expired (90
days) then was used to drive a bunch of deck screws - stripped out the gearbox
before the job was complete, replaced with an 18v DeWalt XRP, a MUCH better
tool.

A 4-1/2" angle grinder purchased a couple of years ago for a particular project
outlasted the project and continues to perform. Only sees occasional use, but,
so far, has met my requirements. I have no basis for comparison with other
brands/models.

A 10" Sliding miter saw purchased about 3 years ago for $100 continued to
operate satisfactorily through a fairly large deck project. The saw was OK for
rough carpentry/framing work but I would not recommend it for trim/finish work
or anything requiring high precision. Main complaint was sticky slide action and
soft, mushy miter stops. A new project required higher precision work so the saw
was given to a friend while still serviceable and replaced with a Hitachi SCMS
for about 5 times the initial cost. Although the Hitachi is a far, far better
saw, it was also far, far more expensive.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA
AL

I have one. It works very well. If you plan to grind any metal, get some
solid carbide burrs from Enco. They have US made ones for around $5 each in
various shapes and sizes.

"BUB 209" wrote in message
I'm tempted to take the bait and put out 40.00 for a Chicago Electric 14"
die grinder at Harbor Freight - 39.00. Has anybody here got any

experience
dealing with these dudes? My mouth is watering for that giant box of
crackerjack the tool is coming in, unless I get some bad reviews here.

BUB 209

I have one. It works very well.

Allright. One thing I won't use though
are the big (2"or larger) reinforced cutoff wheels because they will burn the
tool
up very fast.
AL

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm not sure that a cutoff wheel belongs on
any die grinder, name brand or not. I have a pneumatic cutoff tool for
that--the wheel is perpendicular to the handle and there is guard around it.
It also spins much slower.