Tom Veatch

Default Chicago Electric - Harbor Freight

On 11 Aug 2004 01:32:09 GMT, (BUB 209) wrote:

I'm tempted to take the bait and put out 40.00 for a Chicago Electric 14"
die grinder at Harbor Freight - 39.00. Has anybody here got any experience
dealing with these dudes? My mouth is watering for that giant box of
crackerjack the tool is coming in, unless I get some bad reviews here.

I'm 2 for 3 with Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight) tools.

An 18v cordless drill sat on the shelf until after the warrantee expired (90
days) then was used to drive a bunch of deck screws - stripped out the gearbox
before the job was complete, replaced with an 18v DeWalt XRP, a MUCH better
tool.

A 4-1/2" angle grinder purchased a couple of years ago for a particular project
outlasted the project and continues to perform. Only sees occasional use, but,
so far, has met my requirements. I have no basis for comparison with other
brands/models.

A 10" Sliding miter saw purchased about 3 years ago for $100 continued to
operate satisfactorily through a fairly large deck project. The saw was OK for
rough carpentry/framing work but I would not recommend it for trim/finish work
or anything requiring high precision. Main complaint was sticky slide action and
soft, mushy miter stops. A new project required higher precision work so the saw
was given to a friend while still serviceable and replaced with a Hitachi SCMS
for about 5 times the initial cost. Although the Hitachi is a far, far better
saw, it was also far, far more expensive.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA