SQLit

Default Air V/S Electric ratchet tool

wrote in message
news
I am looking into buying a power ratchet since I am always working on
some sort of vehicle or other mechanical thing.

I have an air compressor, but it's small and takes awhile to pump up.
My neighbor told me that it's too small and I will be spend more time
waiting for it to fill, than using the tool. He said he had the same
problem, and he bought an electric ratchet. He let me borrow his
electric one, and it seemed to work pretty well. Another guy who is a
mechanic told me that the electric ones lack power, and I should buy
an air tool, and larger compressor. He also told me it's cheaper on
the electric bill to use air.

Well, first off, as far as the electric bill, that makes no sense to
me. It costs money to pump air, and it seems to me that energy is
energy, and might even cost more to convert electric to air, then
convert that air to power for the tool, instead of directly powering
the tool. So, on that one, I tend to disagree with the guy.

As far as the power, I am not sure who to believe. Like I said, the
neighbors electric ratchet seems to have plenty of power. However,
I'll never get one like his, because his is probably an antique from
the 1940's or 50's. So, I am not sure if the newer ones are better
due to technology, or worse because like many things, they are making
them disposible these days.

I do see the electric ones are quite a bit more costly, but a new
compressor would be a major expense.

Any comments ?????

Thanks

Look around for a large free oxygen cylinder. I have two that I use for
volume when I do bead blasting. I do not do it often. I let my compressor
fill everything and then rest for a while then I start. I never let the
compressor run for more than 4 minutes.
My compressor is oil-less so heat is a big factor on longevity.
I went to a welding store and bought the fittings that I needed to make the
tanks inline with the sand blaster.
Works for me.

Joe Bobst

I am looking into buying a power ratchet since I am always working on some
sort of vehicle or other mechanical thing.

There are lots of reasons why probably 99+% of power ratchets use air as a
source. Small size, efficiency, durability, and low cost come to mind. Your
mechanic friend gave you good advice. Cost is not an issue here, it's simply
what it takes to do the job. If prices are your major concern, look at the low
cost tools from places like Harbor Freight. Consider looking at used air
compressors if you have a company in your town that deals in them. For the
price of a new unit at a box store you can often find an older much larger used
one at an air compressor store. Large quality air compressors have service
lives of several decades given reasonable care. HTH

Joe

DaveG

wrote in message
news
I am looking into buying a power ratchet since I am always working on
some sort of vehicle or other mechanical thing.

I have an air compressor, but it's small and takes awhile to pump up.
My neighbor told me that it's too small and I will be spend more time
waiting for it to fill, than using the tool. He said he had the same
problem, and he bought an electric ratchet. He let me borrow his
electric one, and it seemed to work pretty well. Another guy who is a
mechanic told me that the electric ones lack power, and I should buy
an air tool, and larger compressor. He also told me it's cheaper on
the electric bill to use air.

There is no way a homeowner is going to notice the affect of an electric
ratchet vs an air compressor, so the electric bill is a non issue. Unless
you run the thing several hours per day, day after day, etc...

Well, first off, as far as the electric bill, that makes no sense to
me. It costs money to pump air, and it seems to me that energy is
energy, and might even cost more to convert electric to air, then
convert that air to power for the tool, instead of directly powering
the tool. So, on that one, I tend to disagree with the guy.

It's a non issue for the typical homeowner.

As far as the power, I am not sure who to believe. Like I said, the
neighbors electric ratchet seems to have plenty of power. However,
I'll never get one like his, because his is probably an antique from
the 1940's or 50's. So, I am not sure if the newer ones are better
due to technology, or worse because like many things, they are making
them disposible these days.

Stick with air tools. Get the correct sized compressor for the job and be
done with it.
Or stick to regular old hand tools.

I do see the electric ones are quite a bit more costly, but a new
compressor would be a major expense.

You should be able to get a compressor that will power an air ratchet for
under $400, and that would be a very nice, non-oiless, which will power a
large variety of tools, and which will last for a long time.
For maybe $200 you could get an oilless compressor which will do the job, be
noisier, not last as long.

Any comments ?????

Thanks

Stormin Mormon

I got an electric impact wrench from www.harborfreight.com
which was about $75 or so. Works nicely. Just plug in, no
compressor.

Black impact socket set in blow mold case $40, and a breaker
bar set for the really toughies another $15. I'm very very
pleased.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus