Stormin Mormon

Default Air V/S Electric ratchet tool

I got an electric impact wrench from www.harborfreight.com
which was about $75 or so. Works nicely. Just plug in, no
compressor.

Black impact socket set in blow mold case $40, and a breaker
bar set for the really toughies another $15. I'm very very
pleased.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
news I am looking into buying a power ratchet since I am always
working on
some sort of vehicle or other mechanical thing.

I have an air compressor, but it's small and takes awhile to
pump up.
My neighbor told me that it's too small and I will be spend
more time
waiting for it to fill, than using the tool. He said he had
the same
problem, and he bought an electric ratchet. He let me
borrow his
electric one, and it seemed to work pretty well. Another
guy who is a
mechanic told me that the electric ones lack power, and I
should buy
an air tool, and larger compressor. He also told me it's
cheaper on
the electric bill to use air.

Well, first off, as far as the electric bill, that makes no
sense to
me. It costs money to pump air, and it seems to me that
energy is
energy, and might even cost more to convert electric to air,
then
convert that air to power for the tool, instead of directly
powering
the tool. So, on that one, I tend to disagree with the guy.

As far as the power, I am not sure who to believe. Like I
said, the
neighbors electric ratchet seems to have plenty of power.
However,
I'll never get one like his, because his is probably an
antique from
the 1940's or 50's. So, I am not sure if the newer ones are
better
due to technology, or worse because like many things, they
are making
them disposible these days.

I do see the electric ones are quite a bit more costly, but
a new
compressor would be a major expense.

Any comments ?????

Thanks