Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Floor trap door hardware???

Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is
thru a opening in the floor as was impractical to build in other entry
and there's very little likelihood of this area needing access
anyway--no plumbing, wiring, etc.

Q? It would be kewl to have somthing like a lever or handle release
with a spring load or something similar to raise one end for access when
needed so don't have to put a set of protruding handles in the floor.
It is back in a closet out of traffic area, but still would be better to
be flush.

Anybody got ideas for purpose? I've not found anything yet truly
outstanding...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:47:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is
thru a opening in the floor as was impractical to build in other entry
and there's very little likelihood of this area needing access
anyway--no plumbing, wiring, etc.

Q? It would be kewl to have somthing like a lever or handle release
with a spring load or something similar to raise one end for access when
needed so don't have to put a set of protruding handles in the floor.
It is back in a closet out of traffic area, but still would be better to
be flush.

Anybody got ideas for purpose? I've not found anything yet truly
outstanding...

Crawl space can be damp & hardware prone to rusting .. ?
Without knowing the size / weight ..

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...305,45958&ap=1

perhaps gate spring(s) combined with a hidden
magnetic ? latch .. ?

An attractive recessed handle is another idea ..
but might be a dust collector ..

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41427,41377

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 10:47:57 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is
thru a opening in the floor...

Easiest hardware-wise is to frame in an aperture, and simply drop a
flooring panel into it. Hinges for such a 'door' are unlikely to
work well (flush hinges? geting dirt dropped onto 'em?).
A minor discontinuity at a floor-panel edge is not likely
to trip anyone, because it's in a closet.

You'd want to panelize subflooring and frame, the 'door' has to be
as sturdy as the rest of a floor.

Recessed handle, or even just an oval aperture (manhole-cover style, for
a lifting tool) will suffice for opening. If the panel could be rested in
an upright position, with a latch or drop-into-slot feature to keep it
from flopping closed, that'd be a bonus.

Real hardware doors can also be store-bought, like
http://www.cellaraccess.co.uk/Fire%20Door.html
and all it takes is... money.
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

You want outstanding?

There are few pretty cool "floor doors" sprinkled in with the "wall doors"
in the first video at this link and in some of the other videos in the side
bar links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpqt...yAlIYY&index=2
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2019 1:19 PM, wrote:
[...]

The recessed chest handle is one idea had...

This is only in between 16" joist spacing width and little over 2-ft
long so is just big enough to manage to get through if one's not too
big...with just the framed flooring and backer it doesn't weigh 10 lb
probably.

Area is dry enough I don't expect much moisture trouble...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2019 12:47 PM, dpb wrote:
Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is
thru a opening in the floor as was impractical to build in other entry
and there's very little likelihood of this area needing access
anyway--no plumbing, wiring, etc.

Q?Â* It would be kewl to have somthing like a lever or handle release
with a spring load or something similar to raise one end for access when
needed so don't have to put a set of protruding handles in the floor. It
is back in a closet out of traffic area, but still would be better to be
flush.

Anybody got ideas for purpose?Â* I've not found anything yet truly
outstanding...

--

Similar problem/situation. I have a water softener brine tank in the
crawl spaced beneath a cramped laundry room. I need "constant" access

It's right where we normally kick off off our shoes and boots so it
collects a fair amount of gunk.

When I need to remove it, I simply reach down, hook my index finger
through the ring and lift it up.

It's worked like a charm so far, but who knows how long it will last?
It's only been in place since 1975. LOL!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 21:58:23 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

Similar problem/situation. I have a water softener brine tank in the
crawl spaced beneath a cramped laundry room. I need "constant" access
to fill it with salt. Framed area between the joists in order to lay a
flush fitting "trap door" which was then covered with the same flooring
as the rest of the room. No hinges, just a simple flush mount brass
ring pull which swivels up easily when needed.

It's right where we normally kick off off our shoes and boots so it
collects a fair amount of gunk.

When I need to remove it, I simply reach down, hook my index finger
through the ring and lift it up.

It's worked like a charm so far, but who knows how long it will last?
It's only been in place since 1975. LOL!

I think you nailed that one ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 20:15:09 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/19/2019 1:19 PM, wrote:
[...]

For something that size & seldom used - I wouldn't even bother
with hinges, let alone springs & latches.
I'd just have it lift out, with a recessed handle.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I was mostly looking for the way to be able to get a hold of it to lift
out without that being something that would be too much of either trip
over or a big collector of dirt...hinges are, indeed, more than needed.

A spring-loaded catch that would raise the lip enough to get a grasp
might work if it didn't release every time just by stepping on the panel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:47:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is
thru a opening in the floor as was impractical to build in other entry
and there's very little likelihood of this area needing access
anyway--no plumbing, wiring, etc.
Q?Â* It would be kewl to have somthing like a lever or handle release
with a spring load or something similar to raise one end for access
when
needed so don't have to put a set of protruding handles in the floor.
It is back in a closet out of traffic area, but still would be
better to
be flush.
Anybody got ideas for purpose?Â* I've not found anything yet truly
outstanding...

Â*Â* Without knowing the size / weightÂ* ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...305,45958&ap=1

perhapsÂ* gate spring(s)Â* combined with a hidden
Â*Â* magnetic ? Â*Â* latchÂ* .. ?
An attractive recessed handleÂ* is another ideaÂ* ..
but might be a dust collectorÂ* ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41427,41377

Â*Â*Â*Â* John T.

The recessed chest handle is one idea had...
This is only in between 16" joist spacing width and little over 2-ft
long so is just big enough to manage to get through if one's not too
big...with just the framed flooring and backer it doesn't weigh 10 lb
probably.

Â* For something that sizeÂ* &Â* seldom usedÂ* -Â* I wouldn't even bother
with hinges,Â*Â* let aloneÂ* springs & latches.
Â* I'd just have it liftÂ* out,Â* with aÂ* recessedÂ* handle.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

I was mostly looking for the way to be able to get a hold of it to lift
out without that being something that would be too much of either trip
over or a big collector of dirt...hinges are, indeed, more than needed.

A spring-loaded catch that would raise the lip enough to get a grasp
might work if it didn't release every time just by stepping on the panel.

--

Just order one (or two) of these and your problem is solved.

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/Solid-Brass-Flush-Pull?utm_source=froog&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign= gdf&partner=froog&CAWELAID=120035490000010216&gcli d=CjwKCAjw8ZHsBRA6EiwA7hw_sW-xxUza7HudYkKeDDZJPXbDtO3C7vuQ0t701W6l4NI97cpibo_Yr xoCy8cQAvD_BwE

or to make it easy: http://tinyurl.com/y5wqdnoa

If you trip over this in your application, you have much bigger problems
than accessing that crawl space. LOL!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused writes:

wrote:
[...]

Or to make it easy, and descriptive:
https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/Solid-Brass-Flush-Pull

You can almost always trim off any query parameters (everything
after the first question mark symbol).

Ther are large versions of that flush ring available specifically
for trap doors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:17:47 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

No trip hazard, but it is a "collector of dirt", something dpb wants to avoid.

Think flat, just like the floor. No crevice, divot or indentation.

How about a strong magnet hang it in the closet, put a piece of steel
in the trap door.
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about a strong magnet hang it in the closet, put a piece of steel
in the trap door.

Ha ! great minds think alike ! fools seldom differ

I was just now looking-up strong magnets - they make them to lift
a few hundred pounds - for salvaging stuff from rivers & lakes ..
but they don't seem to have any "release" mechanism ..

just one example :

http://tinyurl.com/yy55s2az

Not sure what thickness of flooring it would lift 10 - 20 pounds
through ? Easy to experiment on scrap wood pieces ..
It would allow the hidey-hole to remain invisible ..
.. to the narcs :-) but not their dogs ...
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 6:01:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:

How about a strong magnet hang it in the closet, put a piece of steel
in the trap door.

Ha ! great minds think alike ! fools seldom differ

I was just now looking-up strong magnets - they make them to lift
a few hundred pounds - for salvaging stuff from rivers & lakes ..
but they don't seem to have any "release" mechanism ..

just one example :

http://tinyurl.com/yy55s2az

Not sure what thickness of flooring it would lift 10 - 20 pounds
through ? Easy to experiment on scrap wood pieces ..
It would allow the hidey-hole to remain invisible ..
.. to the narcs :-) but not their dogs ...
John T.

Or a switchable magnet, where the switch is also the handle.

https://www.amazon.com/LISHUAI-Switc.../dp/B07QBY8TS3

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:03:30 -0400, wrote:

How about a strong magnet hang it in the closet, put a piece of steel
in the trap door.

Ha ! great minds think alike ! fools seldom differ

I was just now looking-up strong magnets - they make them to lift
a few hundred pounds - for salvaging stuff from rivers & lakes ..
but they don't seem to have any "release" mechanism ..

just one example :

http://tinyurl.com/yy55s2az

Not sure what thickness of flooring it would lift 10 - 20 pounds
through ? Easy to experiment on scrap wood pieces ..
It would allow the hidey-hole to remain invisible ..
.. to the narcs :-) but not their dogs ...
John T.

Might be fancier than you want to get but lots of newer cars have
electric powered hatch lifters. Kick your foot at it a couple of
times and the hatch opens, kick again and it closes. The lifters and
sensors you should be able to get for a reasonable price at a junk
yard. The logic to put them together I don't know about.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 7:38:07 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
[...]

Where would he mount the bumper? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I had thought a little about magnets as one alternative...can always
counterbore to create thinner location. Was trying to figure out a
clever mechanism that could move opposing poles in line to "pop up" the
one end...

Many of examples on the video somebody posted link to use that kind of
lifting mechanism. This is small enough the mechanism would probably
cover more of the opening than can spare.

Dunno about where or when you've last tried to price something from a
salvage yard but my experiences recently trying that route are they're
more expensive than NAPA replacements and almost impossible to actually
find what one's looking for besides.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 8:36:47 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
[...]

OK, modify this idea as required...

Plug an electromagnet into a smart plug and have it hold down a lightly
spring-loaded door. Maybe even just a piece of foam weather stripping. Just
enough so that when it releases, you can get your fingers in a rabbet, if
not under the door itself.

When you say "Alexa, door off" the smart plug will turn off and the magnet
will release the door. Pop! To close, say "Alexa, door on" and then press
the door closed to engage the magnet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 19:36:37 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

You could cut the edge at an angle leave a small gap and use a monkey
paw to lift it. That would be a kiss approach.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 8:50:19 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

P.S. If you don't have an Alexa or something similar, there are smart plugs
that run off phone apps or even a physical remote.

I use something like this for my Christmas tree and the Christmas lights in
various rooms.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYKNDC2
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I's put a paie of gas strut or spring struts on it and a solenoid
latch with a pushbutton switch in the closetpush the button, and while
the button is pushed step and release on the trap door and let it
open. No handle required. Might need some fancy hinges to totally hide
the opening.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:12:26 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Dirt traps though - - - -
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:47:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is
thru a opening in the floor as was impractical to build in other entry
and there's very little likelihood of this area needing access
anyway--no plumbing, wiring, etc.

[SNIP]

[...]

If it's gonna be that big a problem, perhaps you might recommend that he
go to Area 51 and see if he can find an anti-gravity device.

His is in a closet for god's sake. In a previous post, I said that I
installed a flush trap door in a laundry room with one of these to lift
the door. The trap door is in an area where we kick off our shoes and
boots. Nobody has ever tripped on it in the more than 40 years it's been
in place.

Occasionally some dirt or grit DOES get into the lift ring. There is
this miracle tool called a vacuum cleaner that solves the "problem."

Just a guess, but I suspect that the OP may have one at his home and
that it would probably work in the closet as well as it does out in the
open.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/2019 9:35 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:12:26 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 9/20/2019 9:26 AM, dpb wrote:
On 9/20/2019 5:40 AM, wrote:
On Thu,

[SNIP]

[...]

There have been plenty of ingenious responses to this question and even
some that would put Rube Goldberg to shame.

We're overthinking this. What could be simpler than the recessed rings.
Collect dust? Maybe a little, but this is a closet, remember?

SWMBO is sure to run a vacuum over the area once in a blue moon. If she
doesn't, what difference is a bit of dust or lint going to make? We
don't see a buildup with ours and it's right in the area where shoes and
boots get kicked off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

OK, modify this idea as required...

Plug an electromagnet into a smart plug and have it hold down a lightly
spring-loaded door. Maybe even just a piece of foam weather stripping. Just
enough so that when it releases, you can get your fingers in a rabbet, if
not under the door itself.

When you say "Alexa, door off" the smart plug will turn off and the magnet
will release the door. Pop! To close, say "Alexa, door on" and then press
the door closed to engage the magnet.

I like!

But instead of just releasing the latch, why not go all the way and make
the door self opening? Add some smoke and music for effect. Maybe even
have it open to a command like "Mr. Smith, I need you." (For those of
you who ever watched that short-lived Dr. Who spinoff, the Sarah Jane
Adventures.)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

If you know anything about dpb, you know that he is way smart enough to
know that a recessed handle is an easy solution. He didn't need our help
with that or any links to sources. Heck, in the time since he made his
original post he could have *made* a handle.

He's not looking for a simple solution, he's looking for an ingenious
solution. When a magnet was suggested, he said that that was something he
had considered. Do you think he considered a magnet and recessed plate
because he had never heard of a handle?

He is specifically asking for suggestions that don't collect dirt and
a recessed handle does not meet that requirement.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, you hit the idea behind the request, DD -- sometimes folks here
have either seen or done something that is really out of the ordinary
for not always necessarily difficult problems.

Some of the recessed lift rings are solutions but aren't quite what had
in mind in asking, yes. I've thought also of a similar idea since is
pretty small that would be to have the pull just be a t-rod that drops
into recess. It could even be a square of the flooring so was
unobtrusive then the magnet could be pretty small one to just lift the
handle to get hold of it to lift...

As you say, was just casting a net for ideas other than the most obvious.