Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Floor trap door hardware???

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:12:26 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 9/20/2019 9:26 AM, dpb wrote:
On 9/20/2019 5:40 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 20:15:09 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/19/2019 1:19 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:47:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is
thru a opening in the floor as was impractical to build in other entry
and there's very little likelihood of this area needing access
anyway--no plumbing, wiring, etc.
Q?* It would be kewl to have somthing like a lever or handle release
with a spring load or something similar to raise one end for access
when
needed so don't have to put a set of protruding handles in the floor.
It is back in a closet out of traffic area, but still would be
better to
be flush.
Anybody got ideas for purpose?* I've not found anything yet truly
outstanding...

** Without knowing the size / weight* ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...305,45958&ap=1

perhaps* gate spring(s)* combined with a hidden
** magnetic ? ** latch* .. ?
An attractive recessed handle* is another idea* ..
but might be a dust collector* ..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41427,41377

**** John T.

The recessed chest handle is one idea had...
This is only in between 16" joist spacing width and little over 2-ft
long so is just big enough to manage to get through if one's not too
big...with just the framed flooring and backer it doesn't weigh 10 lb
probably.

* For something that size* &* seldom used* -* I wouldn't even bother
with hinges,** let alone* springs & latches.
* I'd just have it lift* out,* with a* recessed* handle.
*** John T.

I was mostly looking for the way to be able to get a hold of it to lift
out without that being something that would be too much of either trip
over or a big collector of dirt...hinges are, indeed, more than needed.

A spring-loaded catch that would raise the lip enough to get a grasp
might work if it didn't release every time just by stepping on the panel.

--

Just order one (or two) of these and your problem is solved.

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/Solid-Brass-Flush-Pull?utm_source=froog&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign= gdf&partner=froog&CAWELAID=120035490000010216&gcli d=CjwKCAjw8ZHsBRA6EiwA7hw_sW-xxUza7HudYkKeDDZJPXbDtO3C7vuQ0t701W6l4NI97cpibo_Yr xoCy8cQAvD_BwE

or to make it easy: http://tinyurl.com/y5wqdnoa

If you trip over this in your application, you have much bigger problems
than accessing that crawl space. LOL!

Dirt traps though - - - -