Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Floor trap door hardware???

On 9/19/2019 1:19 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:47:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is
thru a opening in the floor as was impractical to build in other entry
and there's very little likelihood of this area needing access
anyway--no plumbing, wiring, etc.

Q? It would be kewl to have somthing like a lever or handle release
with a spring load or something similar to raise one end for access when
needed so don't have to put a set of protruding handles in the floor.
It is back in a closet out of traffic area, but still would be better to
be flush.

Anybody got ideas for purpose? I've not found anything yet truly
outstanding...

Crawl space can be damp & hardware prone to rusting .. ?
Without knowing the size / weight ..

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...305,45958&ap=1

perhaps gate spring(s) combined with a hidden
magnetic ? latch .. ?

An attractive recessed handle is another idea ..
but might be a dust collector ..

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41427,41377

John T.

The recessed chest handle is one idea had...

This is only in between 16" joist spacing width and little over 2-ft
long so is just big enough to manage to get through if one's not too
big...with just the framed flooring and backer it doesn't weigh 10 lb
probably.

Area is dry enough I don't expect much moisture trouble...