Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Floor trap door hardware???

On 9/20/2019 4:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 12:12:30 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 9/20/2019 9:26 AM, dpb wrote:
On 9/20/2019 5:40 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 20:15:09 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/19/2019 1:19 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:47:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

Have new hardwood floor going in...access to crawl space in closet is
thru a opening in the floor as was impractical to build in other entry
and there's very little likelihood of this area needing access
anyway--no plumbing, wiring, etc.

[SNIP]

The recessed chest handle is one idea had...
This is only in between 16" joist spacing width and little over 2-ft
long so is just big enough to manage to get through if one's not too
big...with just the framed flooring and backer it doesn't weigh 10 lb
probably.

Â* For something that sizeÂ* &Â* seldom usedÂ* -Â* I wouldn't even bother
with hinges,Â*Â* let aloneÂ* springs & latches.
Â* I'd just have it liftÂ* out,Â* with aÂ* recessedÂ* handle.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

I was mostly looking for the way to be able to get a hold of it to lift
out without that being something that would be too much of either trip
over or a big collector of dirt...hinges are, indeed, more than needed.

A spring-loaded catch that would raise the lip enough to get a grasp
might work if it didn't release every time just by stepping on the panel.

--

Just order one (or two) of these and your problem is solved.

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/Solid-Brass-Flush-Pull?utm_source=froog&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign= gdf&partner=froog&CAWELAID=120035490000010216&gcli d=CjwKCAjw8ZHsBRA6EiwA7hw_sW-xxUza7HudYkKeDDZJPXbDtO3C7vuQ0t701W6l4NI97cpibo_Yr xoCy8cQAvD_BwE

or to make it easy:
http://tinyurl.com/y5wqdnoa

If you trip over this in your application, you have much bigger problems
than accessing that crawl space. LOL!

No trip hazard, but it is a "collector of dirt", something dpb wants to avoid.

Think flat, just like the floor. No crevice, divot or indentation.

If it's gonna be that big a problem, perhaps you might recommend that he
go to Area 51 and see if he can find an anti-gravity device.

His is in a closet for god's sake. In a previous post, I said that I
installed a flush trap door in a laundry room with one of these to lift
the door. The trap door is in an area where we kick off our shoes and
boots. Nobody has ever tripped on it in the more than 40 years it's been
in place.

Occasionally some dirt or grit DOES get into the lift ring. There is
this miracle tool called a vacuum cleaner that solves the "problem."

Just a guess, but I suspect that the OP may have one at his home and
that it would probably work in the closet as well as it does out in the
open.