Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool Gloat : Good Will score.

Today was a Trip to the Good Will with the wife.

Skillsaw for $25 less the senior discount. Main reason was "The
safety switch is where I can 'use' it." (The one I have has the thumb
switch located in such a way that I can't reach it with my thumb.)

And the Delta bench grinder, with two good wheels, for $20. Happy,
happy, I've been meaning to do something to sharpen plane knifes and
chisels.

Happy, happy.
--
pyotr filipivich
TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 15:32:57 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Today was a Trip to the Good Will with the wife.

Skillsaw for $25 less the senior discount. Main reason was "The
safety switch is where I can 'use' it." (The one I have has the thumb
switch located in such a way that I can't reach it with my thumb.)

And the Delta bench grinder, with two good wheels, for $20. Happy,
happy, I've been meaning to do something to sharpen plane knifes and
chisels.

Happy, happy.

You have attain suckage
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 17:36:59 -0600
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
wrote:

Today was a Trip to the Good Will with the wife.

Skillsaw for $25 less the senior discount. Main reason was "The
safety switch is where I can 'use' it." (The one I have has the thumb
switch located in such a way that I can't reach it with my thumb.)

And the Delta bench grinder, with two good wheels, for $20. Happy,
happy, I've been meaning to do something to sharpen plane knifes and
chisels.

Happy, happy.

You have attain suckage

I spoke too soon.

Or did not check close enough. The Saw is missing the "blade
bolt", and the washers and flanges. I _might_ be able to replace
them with expedites, the bolt is "tricky" as it is an "off size" -
from what I see. Who knows, it might actually just be a fine version,
or metric. Nerts.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Today was a Trip to the Good Will with the wife.

Skillsaw for $25 less the senior discount. Main reason was "The
safety switch is where I can 'use' it." (The one I have has the thumb
switch located in such a way that I can't reach it with my thumb.)

And the Delta bench grinder, with two good wheels, for $20. Happy,
happy, I've been meaning to do something to sharpen plane knifes and
chisels.

Happy, happy.

You have attain suckage

I spoke too soon.

Or did not check close enough. The Saw is missing the "blade
bolt", and the washers and flanges. I _might_ be able to replace
them with expedites, the bolt is "tricky" as it is an "off size" -
from what I see. Who knows, it might actually just be a fine version,
or metric. Nerts.

Those parts are readily available - and should not cost enough to
double the price of the saw - or even raise it 50%.

Check with your local Skill service depot - they may have the parts on
a dead saw they will give you for free or very reasonably - but even
new they are NOT expensive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:31:11 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Or did not check close enough. The Saw is missing the "blade
bolt", and the washers and flanges. I _might_ be able to replace
them

Yeah, one of my Milwaukee saws took a 3/8-24 lefthand thread. Cost three bucks at a good
local store. To figure out what yours needs, just give us
the model number: someone here will have one to measure..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Parts needed to restore Circular saw Skil 5275-05 Tool Gloat : Good Will score.

whit3rd on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 01:24:06 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:31:11 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Or did not check close enough. The Saw is missing the "blade
bolt", and the washers and flanges. I _might_ be able to replace
them

Yeah, one of my Milwaukee saws took a 3/8-24 lefthand thread. Cost three bucks at a good
local store. To figure out what yours needs, just give us
the model number: someone here will have one to measure..

Skil 5275-05

Illustrated he
https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/52...12527505-parts

I need part #37 23, 24 and 65.

It is the #24 "Flange" which is no longer made, and has no
replacement, but that could be made "from stock" with a bit of work.
Hmmmm "... it's a simple procedure, involving lasers."

tschus
pyotr

p.s. "Amazon really does have everything" - including two packs of the
blade bolt.

but not the flange. 2610968320

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 08:39:20 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

When it comes to power cords I've taken to buying a good exterior
grade extension cord and cutting off the female end. I then remove the
old cord and surgically remove the cord from the strain releif, then
insert the new cord into the strain releif and secure it with a
suitable adhesive. I then either attach or fabricate the required
terminations on the coed and connect to the tool. If the strain relief
is too badly deteriorated I find another one from something else or
make one up from rubber tubing or whatever. Ihave also "repurposed"
spring strain reliefs that are commercially available.

As for the missing "flange" I suggest checking the parts from
whatever saw replaced that one in Skil's line and see what they used -
often the complete "assembly" is transferable to the older saw. Using
the newer bolt (as long as the thread is the same) along with it's
associated parts.

I've done that several times with older Milwaukee tools when I run
into an "obsolete" part. (milwaukee 14 inch cutoff saw - replaced the
whole handle when 1/2 of the original was no longer available - which
also involved an upgraded switch - and on an early Sawzall where the
swash plate? for the original ram was no longer available, but the
entire upgraded ram assembly was a drop-in (undocumented) replacement
($17 if my memory is correct) For the (discontinued) switch on that
saw last year I searched and found another application that used the
same original part number and found IT had a supercession to a new
part number - which required a different screw. It was also
discontinued but a supplier in California had it available n FleaBay.
I ordered it and by changing the screw AND modifying a wire it worked
perfectly
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 8:38:15 AM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Skil 5275-05

Illustrated he
https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/52...12527505-parts

I need part #37 23, 24 and 65.

It is the #24 "Flange"

.... that is not available from manufacturer. So, you need
to measure the double-D driven shaft shape it mates to, and get a suitable
size flat washer, drill/file the center hole to fit that shaft.

It is also possible that the manufacturer uses the exact
same shaft for other saws, and their other flange washers
will fit and work perfectly: when engineering a 'product life management'
scheme, they obviously messed up (that part IS commonly required
for replacement.

One cannot trust that manufacturer's inventory-number to identify the
useful components any more than you can trust their stocking
decisions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 12:34:05 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 8:38:15 AM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Skil 5275-05

Illustrated he
https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/52...12527505-parts

I need part #37 23, 24 and 65.

It is the #24 "Flange"

... that is not available from manufacturer. So, you need
to measure the double-D driven shaft shape it mates to, and get a suitable
size flat washer, drill/file the center hole to fit that shaft.

As I said elsewhere "A simple procedure involving lasers."
(Classical reference to The Simpsons) I've got the tools, I can make
a flange. Drill an undersized hole (~.500") and "mill to fit."

It is also possible that the manufacturer uses the exact
same shaft for other saws, and their other flange washers
will fit and work perfectly: when engineering a 'product life management'
scheme, they obviously messed up (that part IS commonly required
for replacement.

It maybe required, but that doesn't mean the company is going to
keep supporting those tools.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 5:50:57 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:
whit3rd on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 12:34:05 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

It is also possible that the manufacturer uses the exact
same shaft for other saws, and their other flange washers
will fit and work perfectly...

It maybe required, but that doesn't mean the company is going to
keep supporting those tools.

The first four digits of the serial number are the same for all those replacement
parts; but, the SAME PART is probably available by a different serial number
to 'repair' four or five similar saws. The long serial number enables warranty/inventory
controls at the manufacturer, maybe even down to batch level, that no user
should have to care about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 19:02:51 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 5:50:57 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:
whit3rd on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 12:34:05 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

It is also possible that the manufacturer uses the exact
same shaft for other saws, and their other flange washers
will fit and work perfectly...

It maybe required, but that doesn't mean the company is going to
keep supporting those tools.

The first four digits of the serial number are the same for all those replacement
parts; but, the SAME PART is probably available by a different serial number
to 'repair' four or five similar saws.

Which explains why the three saws I have, all have different
flanges, blade bolts. I would imagine that RepairPartsOnLine.Com has
a vested interest in knowing which parts are cross compatible, and
which one's aren't.

The long serial number enables warranty/inventory
controls at the manufacturer, maybe even down to batch level, that no user
should have to care about.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:29:24 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:
whit3rd on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 19:02:51 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 5:50:57 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:

The first four digits of the serial number are the same for all those replacement
parts; but, the SAME PART is probably available by a different serial number
to 'repair' four or five similar saws.

Which explains why the three saws I have, all have different
flanges, blade bolts. I would imagine that RepairPartsOnLine.Com has
a vested interest in knowing which parts are cross compatible,

They posted the manufacturer's diagram/ list, not their own.
I was once a warranty agent for a manufacturer that had (? six)
different part numbers for the identical computer clock battery,
and different prices, too, but they all had the same battery-mfg logos
and battery-mfg part number. People have commonsense, companies don't.

For anything under warranty, I had to order the 'correct' part, or not get reimbursed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 2:24:48 AM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:29:24 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:
whit3rd on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 19:02:51 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 5:50:57 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:

The first four digits of the serial number are the same for all those replacement
parts; but, the SAME PART is probably available by a different serial number
to 'repair' four or five similar saws.

Which explains why the three saws I have, all have different
flanges, blade bolts. I would imagine that RepairPartsOnLine.Com has
a vested interest in knowing which parts are cross compatible,

They posted the manufacturer's diagram/ list, not their own.
I was once a warranty agent for a manufacturer that had (? six)
different part numbers for the identical computer clock battery,g
and different prices, too, but they all had the same battery-mfg logos
and battery-mfg part number. People have commonsense, companies don't.

People make decisions, companies don't.

For anything under warranty, I had to order the 'correct' part, or not get reimbursed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 23:24:45 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:29:24 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:
whit3rd on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 19:02:51 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 5:50:57 PM UTC-8, pyotr filipivich wrote:

The first four digits of the serial number are the same for all those replacement
parts; but, the SAME PART is probably available by a different serial number
to 'repair' four or five similar saws.

Which explains why the three saws I have, all have different
flanges, blade bolts. I would imagine that RepairPartsOnLine.Com has
a vested interest in knowing which parts are cross compatible,

They posted the manufacturer's diagram/ list, not their own.

As may be as well.

OTOH:
Blade Bolt
Part Number: 1619X00935 *
*This part replaces obsolete part #: 2610353049, 2610346554 and
2610016657.

What irks me, is the lack of information. Is the bolt threaded
5/16 NF x 24tpi or the metric equivalent? (They are close, I checked
the bolt against the thread gauges.)

I was once a warranty agent for a manufacturer that had (? six)
different part numbers for the identical computer clock battery,
and different prices, too, but they all had the same battery-mfg logos
and battery-mfg part number. People have commonsense, companies don't.

Companies have "policies" because the "guy who knows that stuff"
isn't here/available to make exceptions. I worked a second hand
store, and realized that if they opened a second store, a lot of the
"way things get done" could not be done that way, because Bill or Dean
would not be "here" to make those decisions.

For anything under warranty, I had to order the 'correct' part, or not get reimbursed.

Yep. One reason that Army specifications get specific about
materials, even to brand names, is that the receiving officer very
often does not know what actually qualifies as "or equivalent."
--
pyotr filipivich