Posted to rec.woodworking

Default heating an 10x16 shop space.

The Plan is to finish off the green shed, and make it the
workshop. "Everything in, goes out, the insulation goes in, then
everything in the blue shed goes in the green shed, and everything out
goes in."
Part of this is the "what do I need for heat?" Even insulated, it
will get cold. I am thinking electric forced air wall heaters. If to
just warm things up "quickly" those days I decide to work in there.
Pros & Cons?

Any thoughts on "micathermic" heaters? {"...micathermic heater
is a type of space heater in which the heating element is covered in
thin sheets of mica. Micathermic heaters produce 80% convection heat
and 20% radiant heat..."}

--
pyotr filipivich
TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The Plan is to finish off the green shed, and make it the
workshop. "Everything in, goes out, the insulation goes in, then
everything in the blue shed goes in the green shed, and everything out
goes in."
Part of this is the "what do I need for heat?" Even insulated, it
will get cold. I am thinking electric forced air wall heaters. If to
just warm things up "quickly" those days I decide to work in there.
Pros & Cons?

Any thoughts on "micathermic" heaters? {"...micathermic heater
is a type of space heater in which the heating element is covered in
thin sheets of mica. Micathermic heaters produce 80% convection heat
and 20% radiant heat..."}

A similar question was asked not long ago. I suggested a
small heat pump, because the same equipment will heat and
cool the space. Something like this (not necessarily this
particular one):
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Ameri...20&ref=sr_1_20
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2019 10:56 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*The Plan is to finish off the green shed, and make it the
workshop.Â* "Everything in, goes out, the insulation goes in, then
everything in the blue shed goes in the green shed, and everything out
goes in."
Â*Â*Â*Â*Part of this is the "what do I need for heat?"Â* Even insulated, it
will get cold.Â* I am thinking electric forced air wall heaters.Â* If to
just warm things up "quickly" those days I decide to work in there.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Pros & Cons?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Any thoughts on "micathermic" heaters?Â*Â* {"...micathermic heater
is a type of space heater in which the heating element is covered in
thin sheets of mica. Micathermic heaters produce 80% convection heat
and 20% radiant heat..."}

A similar question was asked not long ago.Â* I suggested a
small heat pump, because the same equipment will heat and
cool the space.Â* Something like this (not necessarily this
particular one):
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Ameri...20&ref=sr_1_20

Pyotr, I have an insulated shop a bit larger than what you describe
located in the far NW suburbs of Chicago (e.g. COLD in the winter). I
installed an electric ceiling heater w/built in fan and thermostat.
Believe it's 3.5kw (I can check if need be to be sure) and on a 30amp
120 volt circuit. I've used it for perhaps a dozen years without
incident and it will raise the shop temperature from the mid-40's (where
I leave the thermostat set to prevent freezing of glue and finishes) to
a VERY comfortable 70 degrees in less than 15 minutes. Rather than
installing a heat pump, I took a 10,000BTU window AC and mounted it
through the wall at SWMBO's suggestion, "Why not air condition the shop
while you're at it so you can enjoy the shop in the heat of the summer?"
(Love that woman!).

We're total electric here and the impact on the electric bill has been
negligible.

As for the split system that Just Wondering suggests, I also have one of
those situated in a family room addition, but mainly for cooling as we
couldn't easily run duct work out there from the central AC. It has the
capability of heating as well, but unless the unit you purchase also has
supplemental resistance heating coils, it's going to work continuously
to keep the shop warm and won't raise the temperature quickly. Cooling
will work in that application but even then it's slow going and takes
quite awhile to bring the temperature down if you were to shut it down.

FWIW, if you are aware of their limitations and/or they don't present
any problems in your particular application, those split systems are the
cat's ass! Our family room is ~ 480 sq foot and it keeps it cool on the
hottest of days and it is literally whisper quiet. With it going full
blast, you have to stand in the path of the air flow to know it's working.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

located in the far NW suburbs of Chicago (e.g. COLD in the winter).Â* I
installed an electric ceiling heater w/built in fan and thermostat.
Believe it's 3.5kw (I can check if need be to be sure) and on a 30amp
120 volt circuit.Â* I've used it for perhaps a dozen years without
incident and it will raise the shop temperature from the mid-40's (where
I leave the thermostat set to prevent freezing of glue and finishes) to
a VERY comfortable 70 degrees in less than 15 minutes.Â* Rather than
installing a heat pump, I took a 10,000BTU window AC and mounted it
through the wall at SWMBO's suggestion, "Why not air condition the shop
while you're at it so you can enjoy the shop in the heat of the summer?"
(Love that woman!).

We're total electric here and the impact on the electric bill has been
negligible.

As for the split system that Just Wondering suggests, I also have one of
those situated in a family room addition, but mainly for cooling as we
couldn't easily run duct work out there from the central AC.Â* It has the
capability of heating as well, but unless the unit you purchase also has
supplemental resistance heating coils, it's going to work continuously
to keep the shop warm and won't raise the temperature quickly.Â* Cooling
will work in that application but even then it's slow going and takes
quite awhile to bring the temperature down if you were to shut it down.

FWIW, if you are aware of their limitations and/or they don't present
any problems in your particular application, those split systems are the
cat's ass!Â* Our family room is ~ 480 sq foot and it keeps it cool on the
hottest of days and it is literally whisper quiet.Â* With it going full
blast, you have to stand in the path of the air flow to know it's working.

I suggested the heat pump because it's safe and effective to
both heat and cool. I have one in a room and it works quite well.

My wood shop is mostly a hobby that I don't pursue too much
in the winter. Being cheap, when I want to heat my shop I
use a propane heater something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/000-Variable-...8-3&ref=sr_1_3

But in the back of my mind I worry a little about CO and
wood dust fires.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2019 2:48 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
[...]

we couldn't easily run duct work out there from the central AC.Â* It
has the capability of heating as well, but unless the unit you
purchase also has supplemental resistance heating coils, it's going to
work continuously to keep the shop warm and won't raise the
temperature quickly.Â* Cooling will work in that application but even
then it's slow going and takes quite awhile to bring the temperature
down if you were to shut it down.

FWIW, if you are aware of their limitations and/or they don't present
any problems in your particular application, those split systems are
the cat's ass!Â* Our family room is ~ 480 sq foot and it keeps it cool
on the hottest of days and it is literally whisper quiet.Â* With it
going full blast, you have to stand in the path of the air flow to
know it's working.

I suggested the heat pump because it's safe and effective to
both heat and cool.Â* I have one in a room and it works quite well.

My wood shop is mostly a hobby that I don't pursue too much
in the winter.Â* Being cheap, when I want to heat my shop I
use a propane heater something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/000-Variable-...8-3&ref=sr_1_3

But in the back of my mind I worry a little about CO and
wood dust fires.

A heat pump would work but depends on where the person who asked the
question lives, and when he works in the shop.

If he lives where winter temperature only get into the 20's a heat pump
would work, especially if he works in the shop in the day and early
evening. If he works in the shop late, or if he works some where the
temperature never get above 20, then he probably will not be happy with
the results of a heat pump

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Plan is to finish off the green shed, and make it the
workshop. "Everything in, goes out, the insulation goes in, then
everything in the blue shed goes in the green shed, and everything out
goes in."
Part of this is the "what do I need for heat?" Even insulated, it
will get cold. I am thinking electric forced air wall heaters. If to
just warm things up "quickly" those days I decide to work in there.
Pros & Cons?

Any thoughts on "micathermic" heaters? {"...micathermic heater
is a type of space heater in which the heating element is covered in
thin sheets of mica. Micathermic heaters produce 80% convection heat
and 20% radiant heat..."}

I heat my half-of-a-two-car-garage shop, at least twice the area you
mention, with a 4kw ceiling heater. It does a fine job and was simple to
implement and relatively cheap. In my case I used a "Dimplex DGWH4031G
Garage and Shop Large 4000 Watt Forced Air, Industrial, Space Heater in,
Gray/Black Finish" (to quote the Amazon page). Under $150 if you include
the bit of wiring I had to do to move the required 240V plug eight feet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused on Wed, 16 Jan 2019
23:16:18 -0600 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

FWIW, if you are aware of their limitations and/or they don't present
any problems in your particular application, those split systems are the
cat's ass! Our family room is ~ 480 sq foot and it keeps it cool on the
hottest of days and it is literally whisper quiet. With it going full
blast, you have to stand in the path of the air flow to know it's working.3

We got a ductless unit installed in the living room. It "works",
but while my wife considers it a ripoff, I'm more charitable and say
"it was over sold." We're still heating the 'office' with a space
heater.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 00:48:04 -0700 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

I suggested the heat pump because it's safe and effective to
both heat and cool. I have one in a room and it works quite well.

My wood shop is mostly a hobby that I don't pursue too much
in the winter. Being cheap, when I want to heat my shop I
use a propane heater something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/000-Variable-...8-3&ref=sr_1_3

I have one of the Mr Heater heater/cooker units. Hooked to a
five gallon tank, it does real well. I used it to make coffee, and
would leave it running till the office was warmed up.

But in the back of my mind I worry a little about CO and
wood dust fires.

When I mentioned making coffee on the propane thing, my wife was
less than trilled. Because I had almost destroyed a moka pot leaving
it unattended on the electric stove that morning. (In my defense, I
was home alone, and unsupervised.) I told her, "Oh, not to worry, I'm
in the same room and can hear it boil." She was ... dubious.
But yes, dust fires and the like are a concern. I need to move a
power strip so that it is not face up on the bench, where sawdust can
fall in it. I have an anecdote from a friend who was called into
repair circuits after "someone" took the cover off the wall sockets,
near the disc sander where people had been shaping steel and aluminum
parts.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 09:14:45
-0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I suggested the heat pump because it's safe and effective to
both heat and cool.* I have one in a room and it works quite well.

My wood shop is mostly a hobby that I don't pursue too much
in the winter.* Being cheap, when I want to heat my shop I
use a propane heater something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/000-Variable-...8-3&ref=sr_1_3

But in the back of my mind I worry a little about CO and
wood dust fires.

A heat pump would work but depends on where the person who asked the
question lives, and when he works in the shop.

If he lives where winter temperature only get into the 20's a heat pump
would work, especially if he works in the shop in the day and early
evening. If he works in the shop late, or if he works some where the
temperature never get above 20, then he probably will not be happy with
the results of a heat pump

If it gets into the 20's around here, we declare a winter
emergency, and start burning the furniture. While it does freeze
around here, it usually thaws out during the day. Usually; I have
seen frost in the shade build up for two or three days, before the
rain washes it away.
"And then there was the Great Snow of ought eight, when we had a
foot of snow and freezing temperatures for two whole weeks!"
Seattle would collapse into further anarchy were that to happen
today.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering on Wed, 16 Jan 2019 21:56:27 -0700 typed in
[...]

Great idea. Current Budget for the project is 737.52.

OTOH
https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FF...7743886&sr=8-6
does seem worth considering.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 08:55:40 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

All you need then is a dog or two cats to keep your feet warm - - -
- or borrow the wife's iron and a small fan - - -