Posted to rec.woodworking

Default heating an 10x16 shop space.

Just Wondering on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 00:48:04 -0700 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

I suggested the heat pump because it's safe and effective to
both heat and cool. I have one in a room and it works quite well.

My wood shop is mostly a hobby that I don't pursue too much
in the winter. Being cheap, when I want to heat my shop I
use a propane heater something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/000-Variable-...8-3&ref=sr_1_3

I have one of the Mr Heater heater/cooker units. Hooked to a
five gallon tank, it does real well. I used it to make coffee, and
would leave it running till the office was warmed up.

But in the back of my mind I worry a little about CO and
wood dust fires.

When I mentioned making coffee on the propane thing, my wife was
less than trilled. Because I had almost destroyed a moka pot leaving
it unattended on the electric stove that morning. (In my defense, I
was home alone, and unsupervised.) I told her, "Oh, not to worry, I'm
in the same room and can hear it boil." She was ... dubious.
But yes, dust fires and the like are a concern. I need to move a
power strip so that it is not face up on the bench, where sawdust can
fall in it. I have an anecdote from a friend who was called into
repair circuits after "someone" took the cover off the wall sockets,
near the disc sander where people had been shaping steel and aluminum
parts.

--
pyotr filipivich