Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommendation For First Circular Saw

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 14:19:57 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Clare Snyder writes:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:42:21 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

You're not answering the question. What sabre saws (brand, model)
have you actually tried with?

I've used many differnet ones over the decades including numerous
Black and Deckers of various vintages, Deltas, Millwukee, ShopMate and
other builder supply private brands, Hitachi, etc

They are OK for what they are made for - freehand cuts in thin
materials. Trim work mostly - or "hobby" or "craft" work - not
construction. Detail work - or "nibbling"

I concur on the accuracy, power and usefulness of the Bosch, and
believe that would be the best power saw of the three for DadiOH
to give to his daughter (which was the point of this thread).

Who likely will never need to cut 2x ironwood or a 4 incher.

Anyone working with "pallet wood" unless they are going to discard
the good heavy framing of the pallet (which "I" find usefull - - - - -

By 4 incher I was referring to a 4 inch cut in 2 inch rough lumber -
like a 2X4 The parts of the pallet you would use as the corner posts
of a compost bin being made of "pallet wood"
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

You're not answering the question. What sabre saws (brand, model)
have you actually tried with?

I concur on the accuracy, power and usefulness of the Bosch, and
believe that would be the best power saw of the three for DadiOH
to give to his daughter (which was the point of this thread).

DadiOH is buying a circular saw for his daughter too? What a coincidence!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

You're not answering the question. What sabre saws (brand, model)
have you actually tried with?

I concur on the accuracy, power and usefulness of the Bosch, and
believe that would be the best power saw of the three for DadiOH
to give to his daughter (which was the point of this thread).

DadiOH is buying a circular saw for his daughter too? What a coincidence!

Sorry, lexical distancing problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

You're not answering the question. What sabre saws (brand, model)
have you actually tried with?

I concur on the accuracy, power and usefulness of the Bosch, and
believe that would be the best power saw of the three for DadiOH
to give to his daughter (which was the point of this thread).

DadiOH is buying a circular saw for his daughter too? What a coincidence!

Sorry, lexical distancing problem.

No problem. My daughter lives quite a distance from me, so that's a fitting excuse. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

You're not answering the question. What sabre saws (brand, model)
have you actually tried with?

I concur on the accuracy, power and usefulness of the Bosch, and
believe that would be the best power saw of the three for DadiOH
to give to his daughter (which was the point of this thread).

I found a left blade PC 743 (my saw) on CL for $120. Haven't contacted the guy yet.
He's a 1.75 hour drive from me. I'm almost hoping he sold it already. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:07:20 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 00:31:02 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 00:18:28 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 23:15:27 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

2X? You said 1x6. That's not "2X".

"I" said I used all the rough 2Xs to frame my shed. 8 footers. Used
the 1X hardwood for the attic decking too

I'm sorry but I did not take a stopwatch to it, I didn't notice
anything remarkable about the cutting. As for the blade, it's
whatever Bosch recommends, I don't know the number off the top of my
head.

Good luck.
My 8 1/4 inch circular saw can do any of those cuts simply and
quickly AND accurately. The sawzall will do it quickly but not
accurately and certainly not consistantly.

If I need accuracy that's that the table saw is for.

Cutting framing on a table saw?????? Sure it CAN be done, but it's
easier to handle moving the circ saw over the wood than moving 8 ft
harwood 2X over the table saw.

I'm sorry but I've never seen framing I couldn't cut adequately with a
Bosch.

You would frame a shed doing all yout cuts with a jigsaw rather than a
circular saw???????????
And accuracy is good for framing too.

We seem to have different definitions of "accuracy".

Straight right angle square cuts within 1/8 inch tolerance. By
straight and square Imean 90 degrees all directions.

Not a simple task with a jigsaw - whether it's a cheap one, a bosch,
or a Fesstool.

Back in '64 building the addition on the family home Dad ripped half
the length of 14 foot 2X10 at an angle from 2 inches at the end to
zero at the 7 foot point, then nailed that wedge on top of the other
end to give a 4 inch roof slope. Nothing but a hand held circular saw
was in the running for that job - and a "cheap" saw wasn't up to the
job either!!!The roof was 36 feet long - burned out one saw and used
up most of the life of another one - after which he bought his first
GOOD circular saw.

I don't think that this is the sort of work that the OP's daughter is
planning to make from pallet wood. If she starts building warehouses
she'll likely need a more comprehensive tool set.

Just a bedroom and dining room addition plus a garage - not a
warehouseby any stretch.

She MAY very well want to accurately rip pallet wood to get a nice
smooth edge though - again not easy with a sabre saw. A good planer
blade on a circular saw can leave an edge as good as a jointer/planer
(which she WON'T have - - -)

You can stick with your "jigsaw" - but it's the last saw I'd own as
my ONLY power saw!!!!

It's clear that you have some kind of religious oppositing to jigsaws.
I learned from a retired Seabee who wouldn't buy anything else for his
own use and he bought the cheapest ones he could find. He could build
anything up to and including aircraft hangars. My experience is that
unless you're getting into stock that the blade won't reach through
you can do any kind of rough carpentry with a jigsaw. You can do it
faster and easier with a circular saw sometimes but if you can't do it
at all then that says more about you than about the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 9:49:51 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Christmas is coming. I'm considering buying a circular saw for my daughter.
She's 26.

Other than a drill, this will be her first real power tool. I have a Porter
Cable 743 left blade which I love. I'd buy her the same saw but it's no longer
available, other than used. Same for the 843 which I believe is the same saw
but with a brake. Same issue with PC 424 MAG, another saw in that same line.
(I think).

So, if I can't get what I'm familiar with, I'm looking for suggestions for
decent left blade circular saw. A brake would be great.

No, she is not going to start framing houses, at least not right away. ;-)
All I know really know is that she wants to start doing some woodworking
and was wondering what type of "first saw" she should get. She also
mentioned cutting up some pallets to make a compost bin.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Update: I found a left blade PC743 on Craigslist listed for $120. A guy
bought a one-price lot of tools at an estate sale and didn't need the saw.
As I mentioned in another post, you can't touch them on ebay for under $150
with shipping and you sure can't test them. Some are listed for well over
$200.

It was a 3 hour round trip to get it. I offered him $110 and he took it.
He let me test it and it's a good thing that I brought my own blade. I knew
I wouldn't be able to test it if the blade was shot and boy, did I make the
right call. I barely got 1" into a piece of 5/4" x 12 pine when the burning
started. I put a new Diablo 60 tooth blade on it and it went through the
board like butter.

Now I have twins:

https://i.imgur.com/MZeyYZD.jpg

I may change the cord before I give it to my daughter. It's a little dried
out, especially the strain relief section by the handle.

I'm buying her the saw, one of my son's is going to buy her some different
types of blades, and my other son is going to buy her some (more) clamps.
All she'll need is a straight edge and some youtube videos, and she'll be
good to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 17:47:52 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Excellent choice
Glad you didn't succumb to the Brit (I believe) who was trying to
convince you to go for a sabre saw!!!! (the least used of ALL my saws
- I use my old keyhole saw at least as often - - -
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Brits don't learn from SeaBees. If you don't know the term, look it
up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 7:47:55 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

All she'll need is a straight edge and some youtube videos,

And some pallets....

and she'll be good to go.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

It had nothing to do with succumbing or not. A saber saw was always a consideration and
I said as much earlier. I may still get her one. As you may have noticed, the title of this thread
wasn't "Recommedation for first saw". It specifically mentioned first *circular* saw.

That specific question was indeed addressed a couple of times but of course, other options
were included. Heck, someone even mentioned chisels and clamps. There's always drift,
and usually some arguing, but buried in these discussion is often some good information.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

How does that work exactly? Is it a genetic thing? If a SeaBee is talking to a Brit does the
British brain's learning process just shut down? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 10:21:05 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Milwaukee 6391

I've owned the right-bladed cousin (6390) for ~20 yrs and have had no
complaints/issues.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...e-circular-saw
https://www.toolbarn.com/milwaukee-6391-21.html/

Are you right-handed or left?

While a left-blade saw is what a right-handed person should, IMHO, be using,
the issue with some of them is that they blow the sawdust back into the face
of right handed users. It doesn't look like the 6391 addresses that issue.

The PC743 has a detachable dust chute that swivels to direct the sawdust
away from the user. The chute also allows a vacuum to be attached. I've
used that feature many times when using the saw indoors.

The Bosch CS5 appears to have addressed the blow back issue with the opening
I see in the housing. (That's an assumption) but it doesn't look like a vac
can be attached. Maybe there's an adapter?

In any case, I bought a used 743 for my right handed daughter. Her partner,
who happens to be left handed, will just have to deal with it. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I think you're right. The manual doesn't say anything about an
exhaust adapter and it gets dinged in the reviews for this.

I really like the shoe on the CS10 but it's, of course, a right-blade
saw. It has the slot for the sawdust port, as well. There's always
Festool. ;-)

In any case, I bought a used 743 for my right handed daughter. Her partner,
who happens to be left handed, will just have to deal with it. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

....or used PC 743's

I'm glad I found one at a decent price. Once I change the cord and retainer,
and factor in the gas to go get it, I'm probably at $160ish. That's the very,
very low end of the ebay listings and I got to test it before paying for it.

Toss in a chat-filled 3 hour drive with SWMBO and I think I got a pretty good
deal. ;-)

In any case, I bought a used 743 for my right handed daughter. Her partner,
who happens to be left handed, will just have to deal with it. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

That's pretty pricey for a circular saw. Lowes has the CS10 for $99.
The Ryobi 18V brushless cordless 7-1/4" saw is left-blade and $119.
Bosch's left-blade cordless is $129 but is only 6-1/2".

Toss in a chat-filled 3 hour drive with SWMBO and I think I got a pretty good
deal. ;-)

Road trips are always fun. We do a circuit of the Atlanta woodworking
stores every so often. 2x Woodcraft, 2x Rockler (though haven't been
to the new one yet), Peachtree, and Highland (SWMO even likes to go to
Highland).

I seem to spend a lot of time at Emory hospital, anymore, which is
only a couple of miles from Highland. After Dr's appointments, SWMBO
calls it my lollypop. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Have you ever tried a PC 743? Lot's of people on various forums lamenting
the fact the PC, back when it really was PC, stopped making them.

It really is a nice saw. Bottom line, since I have one and really like
it, I don't mind spending $160ish to get one for my daughter.

Toss in a chat-filled 3 hour drive with SWMBO and I think I got a pretty good
deal. ;-)

Road trips are always fun. We do a circuit of the Atlanta woodworking
stores every so often. 2x Woodcraft, 2x Rockler (though haven't been
to the new one yet), Peachtree, and Highland (SWMO even likes to go to
Highland).

I seem to spend a lot of time at Emory hospital, anymore, which is
only a couple of miles from Highland. After Dr's appointments, SWMBO
calls it my lollypop. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I looked at them a dozen years back. I'm not about to pay $200 for a
used circular saw, though. I don't use one that often.

It really is a nice saw. Bottom line, since I have one and really like
it, I don't mind spending $160ish to get one for my daughter.

I gave my rear-pivot Dewalt (DW364) and Bosch sabre saw to my son.
They just bought their first house. If he uses them, I'll buy him
more tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I don't think I paid $200 for mine when it was new. I don't know why but
$139 comes to mind. I wouldn't pay those current ebay prices either,
especially without the ability to touch and feel.

When I bought mine, I was helping a co-worker frame his house. He had hired
another of his friends who was a professional framer to help him out. That
framer showed me his 743 and let me try it. He also told me that he liked
the saw so much, he had bought a 743 for all the guys that worked for him as
Christmas gifts that year. (He had each of their names etched into the body
since there was going to be a lot of 743's on the job sites.)

After using his 743 for a few hours, I went out and bought my own. That's
gotta be 20 years ago now.

It really is a nice saw. Bottom line, since I have one and really like
it, I don't mind spending $160ish to get one for my daughter.

I gave my rear-pivot Dewalt (DW364) and Bosch sabre saw to my son.
They just bought their first house. If he uses them, I'll buy him
more tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Southpaw

While a left-blade saw is what a right-handed person should, IMHO, be using,

Mr Filk does not agree...
https://www.flikandcompany.com/left-...-circular-saw/

the issue with some of them is that they blow the sawdust back into the face
of right handed users. It doesn't look like the 6391 addresses that issue.

In the face? My Milwaukee 6390 blows dust horizontally, certainly not upwards
towards the face.

The PC743 has a detachable dust chute that swivels to direct the sawdust
away from the user. The chute also allows a vacuum to be attached. I've
used that feature many times when using the saw indoors.

Interesting, the only other circ saw (not talking about track saws) I'm aware of
with that 'feature' is:

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-14-in-12-amp-professional-circular-saw-with-laser-guide-system-69064.html

The Bosch CS5 appears to have addressed the blow back issue with the opening
I see in the housing. (That's an assumption) but it doesn't look like a vac
can be attached. Maybe there's an adapter?

The Bosch CS5 appears to have motor and shoe issues:
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B000WMDBIE/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&s howViewpoints=0

In any case, I bought a used 743 for my right handed daughter. Her partner,
who happens to be left handed, will just have to deal with it. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Estate Sales are a good place to pick up tools. I do it all the time.
All my friends know I go so it's, if you see. Also you can't have to
many clamps. I drove 8 hrs one time to pick up a like new 8" Pioneer
jointer for $350. Combined it with a delivery of a diesel boat engine I
sold to a guy in the Seattle area. The jointer was in Corvallis, OR We
just made a road trip out of it. Must be a Seabee thing. I'm a retired
Seabee also. Jim