Posted to rec.woodworking
James[_42_] James[_42_] is offline

Default Recommendation For First Circular Saw

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 11:26:57 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder
wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 17:47:52 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 9:49:51 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03
wrote:
Christmas is coming. I'm considering buying a circular saw for

my daughter. She's 26.

Other than a drill, this will be her first real power tool. I

have a Porter Cable 743 left blade which I love. I'd buy her the
same saw but it's no longer available, other than used. Same for
the 843 which I believe is the same saw but with a brake. Same
issue with PC 424 MAG, another saw in that same line. (I think).

So, if I can't get what I'm familiar with, I'm looking for

suggestions for decent left blade circular saw. A brake would be
great.
No, she is not going to start framing houses, at least not right

away. ;-) All I know really know is that she wants to start
doing some woodworking and was wondering what type of "first
saw" she should get. She also mentioned cutting up some pallets
to make a compost bin.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

Update: I found a left blade PC743 on Craigslist listed for $120.
A guy bought a one-price lot of tools at an estate sale and
didn't need the saw. As I mentioned in another post, you can't
touch them on ebay for under $150 with shipping and you sure
can't test them. Some are listed for well over $200.

It was a 3 hour round trip to get it. I offered him $110 and he
took it. He let me test it and it's a good thing that I brought
my own blade. I knew I wouldn't be able to test it if the blade
was shot and boy, did I make the right call. I barely got 1" into
a piece of 5/4" x 12 pine when the burning started. I put a new
Diablo 60 tooth blade on it and it went through the board like
butter.

Now I have twins:

https://i.imgur.com/MZeyYZD.jpg

I may change the cord before I give it to my daughter. It's a
little dried out, especially the strain relief section by the
handle.

I'm buying her the saw, one of my son's is going to buy her some
different types of blades, and my other son is going to buy her
some (more) clamps. All she'll need is a straight edge and some
youtube videos, and she'll be good to go.

Excellent choice
Glad you didn't succumb to the Brit (I believe) who was trying to
convince you to go for a sabre saw!!!! (the least used of ALL my
saws

It had nothing to do with succumbing or not. A saber saw was always a
consideration and I said as much earlier. I may still get her one. As
you may have noticed, the title of this thread wasn't "Recommedation
for first saw". It specifically mentioned first circular saw.

That specific question was indeed addressed a couple of times but of
course, other options were included. Heck, someone even mentioned
chisels and clamps. There's always drift, and usually some arguing,
but buried in these discussion is often some good information.

Estate Sales are a good place to pick up tools. I do it all the time.
All my friends know I go so it's, if you see. Also you can't have to
many clamps. I drove 8 hrs one time to pick up a like new 8" Pioneer
jointer for $350. Combined it with a delivery of a diesel boat engine I
sold to a guy in the Seattle area. The jointer was in Corvallis, OR We
just made a road trip out of it. Must be a Seabee thing. I'm a retired
Seabee also. Jim