Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommendation For First Circular Saw

Christmas is coming. I'm considering buying a circular saw for my daughter.
She's 26.

Other than a drill, this will be her first real power tool. I have a Porter
Cable 743 left blade which I love. I'd buy her the same saw but it's no longer
available, other than used. Same for the 843 which I believe is the same saw
but with a brake. Same issue with PC 424 MAG, another saw in that same line.
(I think).

So, if I can't get what I'm familiar with, I'm looking for suggestions for
decent left blade circular saw. A brake would be great.

No, she is not going to start framing houses, at least not right away. ;-)
All I know really know is that she wants to start doing some woodworking
and was wondering what type of "first saw" she should get. She also
mentioned cutting up some pallets to make a compost bin.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 18:49:48 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I gave my Dewalt rear pivot saw (nice saw) to my son and have been
looking for a replacement. I think I've settled on the Bosch CS10
magnesium shoe. I've knocked several saws out of square and the Bosch
seems to have a pretty solid pivot mechanism. It's a RH saw, however.
Bosch also has the CS5, which is a LH saw but has a steel shoe. It's
a bit more expensive ($116 vs. $99 at Lowes).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

$116 is nothing, relatively speaking,

The 743s on eBay start at $150 and go up to (gasp) $250. I think I paid $170ish
15ish years ago.

I know PC isn't the same PC as it used to be and my Bosch glide miter saw is pretty good,
so maybe the CS5 isn't a bad idea. Too bad my daughter's partner is left handed. The saw
will be for both of them, but my daughter's handness wins.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Christmas is coming. I'm considering buying a circular saw for my daughter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Find her a good used 843 PC. There's one on FleaBay in Fort worth.
$229.
A 743 in Cincinnati for $210 too

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Prices have come down considerably, particularly given the value of
money. There hasn't been much improvement done to these things
either. The engineering was paid for long ago. But if you want to
spend more, there's always Festool. ;-)

I know PC isn't the same PC as it used to be and my Bosch glide miter saw is pretty good,
so maybe the CS5 isn't a bad idea. Too bad my daughter's partner is left handed. The saw
will be for both of them, but my daughter's handness wins.

They're cheap. Buy both. ;-)

Seriously, I've looked at a lot of them recently and the Bosch seemed
to be the best (Hitachi isn't bad either). At least my circular saws
always get a beating (falling off sawhorses and such) so the mechanics
is important to me. The only thing I didn't like about the CS5 was the
steel shoe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 10:17:46 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Guess I'd suggest you abandon the circular saw thought. A drill makes sense. Its very useful for lots of situations. Hopefully it was cordless. I have and use electric drills frequently, but only in special situations. Cordless drill for 90+% of tasks. Back to saws. If it has to be an electric, powered saw, then I'd suggest a jigsaw. Can't get hurt, its not dangerous. Like a drill, a beginner with no knowledge at all can operate a jigsaw and not get hurt. It does not cut straight or smooth like a circular saw. But cutting up pallets for a compost bin it would be perfect. And with circular saws, the wood needs to be stationary and clamped down to make a good, safe cut. And you need a guide too. I know construction crews make freehand cuts in midair with circular saws. But they have a lot more skill and daring than your daughter. Or me.

To add some more to my post. I've rebuilt a few houses and done some construction work in my life. But the first, and only circular saw I have is a Festool track saw. When I was doing some construction and remodeling houses, I never needed a circular saw. A jigsaw, reciprocating saw, or manual handsaw worked fine for cutting wood. I had a table saw too. Unless you are a house framer, cutting studs or sheathing on the spot, a circular saw isn't a useful saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 20:17:43 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

I'd second the vote for a jigsaw. It's just a more versatile tool.
But get her a good one. While the barrel-grip Bosch are very good if
she has small hands she might prefer a top-handle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2018 11:17 PM, wrote:
Guess I'd suggest you abandon the circular saw thought. A drill makes sense. Its very useful for lots of situations. Hopefully it was cordless. I have and use electric drills frequently, but only in special situations. Cordless drill for 90+% of tasks. Back to saws. If it has to be an electric, powered saw, then I'd suggest a jigsaw. Can't get hurt, its not dangerous. Like a drill, a beginner with no knowledge at all can operate a jigsaw and not get hurt. It does not cut straight or smooth like a circular saw. But cutting up pallets for a compost bin it would be perfect. And with circular saws, the wood needs to be stationary and clamped down to make a good, safe cut. And you need a guide too. I know construction crews make freehand cuts in midair with circular saws. But they have a lot more skill and daring than your daughter. Or me.

I third the suggestion to abandon the saw. I got a good deal on a
circular saw about 10 years ago. I though I was going to use it for
some minor house repairs. It turned out those were done as part of a
larger contracted repair and the saw never used. Today it the saw is in
the original packaging.

While the jig saw does not have the Tim-The-Tool-man glamor, I vote for
a jig saw, as it does most of the cutting need by the average home owner.

If you would like to get and additional gift I would look at a good
battery powered screw driver with a large selection of bits. ie differ
screw drive bits, a selection of nut driver bits, some Allen wrench, and
torque type bits. They will use that nearly every time they have to
remove a screw .

While it will not be used as much as the power screw drive I would also
consider a Dremel type tool with a full complement of bits. What the
jig saw or power screw drive can not do the Dremel with the appropriate
bit will.

..

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

metric or Imperial ? :-)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Festool/...at=5,105,68332

She'll be the envy of all the pallet re-cyclers !

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 8:32:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On 12/8/2018 11:17 PM, wrote:
[...]

While I appreciate the response, your reason for "abandoning" the circular
saw appears to be based on your very specific situation.

In a nutshell, you were going to use the saw to repair something then decided
to pay someone to do it for you. Sure, there was more to the situation than
that, but that's so far removed from "cutting up some pallets" that it
just doesn't apply.

While the jig saw does not have the Tim-The-Tool-man glamor, I vote for
a jig saw, as it does most of the cutting need by the average home owner.

Is that what you use? What model did you buy?

If you would like to get and additional gift I would look at a good
battery powered screw driver with a large selection of bits. ie differ
screw drive bits, a selection of nut driver bits, some Allen wrench, and
torque type bits. They will use that nearly every time they have to
remove a screw .

Not a bad idea, but the request was worded has "We'd like to try some
woodworking projects." Her cordless drill can be used for both woodworking
and repairs. She already uses for repairs.

While it will not be used as much as the power screw drive I would also
consider a Dremel type tool with a full complement of bits. What the
jig saw or power screw drive can not do the Dremel with the appropriate
bit will.

Also a good idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 11:17:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I'm torn between a jig saw and a circular saw. My brain says a decent
jig saw is enough for now, but I've used my 743 so much more than any jig
saw I've owned that I'm biased. [Or is it my heart that says a jig saw is
enough? I'm always confused by which one is talking to me. ;-) ]

When I look at a pallet (yes, we're being very specific here) I see the
deck boards that a jig saw is perfect for, then I see the stringers which
probably require a circular saw to cut to size. Then, when I think about
them building a shelf or even a book case, I can see a jig saw eventually
getting it done, but a circular getting it done so much quicker/easier.
Thus my torn-ness.

BTW I recently replaced a POS jig saw with a Bosch JS470E. What a difference
paying three times as much makes. ;-) Well worth it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I agree about getting a good one. As I mentioned to Russell, I recently
replaced a POS jig saw with a Bosch JS470E. What a difference paying three
times as much makes. ;-) Well worth it.

I'll check her hand size next time I see her. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2018 9:12 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 8:32:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I third the suggestion to abandon the saw. I got a good deal on a
circular saw about 10 years ago. I though I was going to use it for
some minor house repairs. It turned out those were done as part of a
larger contracted repair and the saw never used. Today it the saw is in
the original packaging.

While I appreciate the response, your reason for "abandoning" the circular
saw appears to be based on your very specific situation

I did not abandon the saw it is just that I never found a use for it.
(Most of the work I do is on my table saw making picture stretcher and
and frames.)

In a nutshell, you were going to use the saw to repair something then decided
to pay someone to do it for you. Sure, there was more to the situation than
that, but that's so far removed from "cutting up some pallets" that it
just doesn't apply.

While the jig saw does not have the Tim-The-Tool-man glamor, I vote for
a jig saw, as it does most of the cutting need by the average home owner.

Is that what you use? What model did you buy?

I can not answer you question right now for too reason. One the jig saw
is in the shop, and its cold out there ;-) and two the jig saw was one
of the first power tools I bought over 50 years ago and I am still using
it. I have no idea what brand it is, and If I did it is probably out of
business.

If you would like to get and additional gift I would look at a good
battery powered screw driver with a large selection of bits. ie differ
screw drive bits, a selection of nut driver bits, some Allen wrench, and
torque type bits. They will use that nearly every time they have to
remove a screw .

Not a bad idea, but the request was worded has "We'd like to try some
woodworking projects." Her cordless drill can be used for both woodworking
and repairs. She already uses for repairs.

Does she have a good set of hand tools? Many times when people think
of wood working the first things they think about is power tools.
However a good miter box and saw are essential. My first miter box was a
Stanley which I still use on occasion. For small items it works better
than the table saw. Also for one off cuts where you want precision.

While it has not been mentioned a power miter box would be a good power
tool for a beginner.

A good set of chisels is essential.
Squares I use thee a Tri square, Combination square and a speed square

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swanson-...-301793096-_-N
https://www.rockler.com/6-tri-miter-...own-hand-tools
https://www.rockler.com/igaging-12-combination-square

Don't forget clamps. One on the ones I use most is the speed clamps
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43293,31162

I use them mostly for picture frames, but have used them to repair a
bed, make table tops, boxes, etc.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Milwaukee 6391

I've owned the right-bladed cousin (6390) for ~20 yrs and have had no
complaints/issues.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...e-circular-saw
https://www.toolbarn.com/milwaukee-6391-21.html/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 10:00:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On 12/9/2018 9:12 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 8:32:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I third the suggestion to abandon the saw. I got a good deal on a
circular saw about 10 years ago. I though I was going to use it for
some minor house repairs. It turned out those were done as part of a
larger contracted repair and the saw never used. Today it the saw is in
the original packaging.

While I appreciate the response, your reason for "abandoning" the circular
saw appears to be based on your very specific situation

I did not abandon the saw it is just that I never found a use for it.
(Most of the work I do is on my table saw making picture stretcher and
and frames.)

Your words: "I third the suggestion to abandon the saw."

I took that to mean "abandon the saw" as far as buying one for my daughter.
That is what I was responding to. Since you agreed with abandoning the saw
as far as a purchase, and then listed the reason you never used yours in the
same paragraph, it appeared that your reason for not using it was
justification for me not buying one for my daughter. If your situation was
just a nice story to tell, a simple line feed would have removed any
confusion. ;-)

[...]

I considered that but she has no place to set up a miter saw at this point.
They rent a small house on a farm in Vermont. Lots of open space (lots!) but
no usable basement and no garage. Besides, it's hard to cut a pallet with
a miter saw. (joke!) Yes, a small miter saw is more or less portable, but
they aren't light and carrying it in and out of the house every time she wants
to use it would seriously limit it's actual use. BTDT

A good set of chisels is essential.
Squares I use thee a Tri square, Combination square and a speed square

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swanson-...-301793096-_-N
https://www.rockler.com/6-tri-miter-...own-hand-tools
https://www.rockler.com/igaging-12-combination-square

Don't forget clamps. One on the ones I use most is the speed clamps
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43293,31162

I use them mostly for picture frames, but have used them to repair a
bed, make table tops, boxes, etc.

She does have some hand tools, including clamps, a square, etc. I'm not
sure chisels are "essential" for what she has planned, but they are not
bad idea.

Bottom line is that she can't use too many of her hand tools until she
cuts the woods to size, thus the request for a saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 10:21:05 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Thanks. That price is certainly attractive.

The main thing it lacks vs. the PC 743/843 is a dust collection port.
However, the price is low enough that I can buy her a matching broom. ;-)

https://www.ebay.com/i/262897914419
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Yeah, I'm torn between a jig saw and a circular saw. My brain says a
decent jig saw is enough for now, but I've used my 743 so much more
than any jig saw I've owned that I'm biased. [Or is it my heart that
says a jig saw is enough? I'm always confused by which one is talking
to me. ;-) ]

When I look at a pallet (yes, we're being very specific here) I see
the deck boards that a jig saw is perfect for, then I see the
stringers which probably require a circular saw to cut to size. Then,
when I think about them building a shelf or even a book case, I can
see a jig saw eventually getting it done, but a circular getting it
done so much quicker/easier. Thus my torn-ness.

BTW I recently replaced a POS jig saw with a Bosch JS470E. What a
difference paying three times as much makes. ;-) Well worth it.

The circular saw will give you a quick and accurate cut with square
edges, while the jigsaw will take a lot longer to get the same square
edges. Jigsaw blades by their very nature tend to deflect as you try to
cut faster so you have to run the tool very slowly to get square edges.
Even a good saw with good blades will do that.

For most of my home projects, square edges and a reasonable cut speed
trumps the flexibility of a jigsaw.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 11:34:28 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

Those were my thoughts exactly and the main reason I have spend countless
hours behind a circular saw and only grabbed the jig saw in very limited
situations.

I have a table saw, miter saw, band saw, circular saw and jig saw. The
table and miter saws are 1A and 1B as far as hours of use. The jig saw
is so far down the list that it can't even see the other saws. ;-)

That said, I'm still not sure that a jig saw isn't the best saw as a
"first saw". If tools weren't so "job specific" the choice would be
easy. :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

A sawzall would be better for pallets - and a jigsaw is most
certainly far from idiotproof - or "safe"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2018 11:17 PM, wrote:
[...]

But cutting pallet wood would be an all-weekend jib with the dremel.

I have 1 sabre saw (jigsaw) One Sawzall, 3 circular saws, a "dremel"
and a oscilating tool (festool style "stryker" saw) as well as 3
different routers, 3 power drills, 3 lithium cordless drills, a
drill-press and a metalcutting lathe. Also a belt sander, a vibrating
sander,and a "power file" - - - -
Yes, I have more circular saws than I need - the little Rockwell is
the handiest, but the big millwaukee 8.25 inch comes in handy for
heavier jobs - and I can't bring myself to get rid of the big Skill
worm-saw - which will outcut anything short of a chain-saw. (oh - I
have 2 of them too - - - )
One router is on a small router table, one is on a circle cutting jig,
and the other is loose for miscalanious small jobs.
The sawzall is good for demolition work and also as a power
hacksaw.

And oh yes - I have a battery operated jig saw, "sawzall" and drill
in the basement with dead NiCads that I've kept around figuring I
could run them off a 12 volt car battery in a pinch --- Really just
taking up space I could really make better use of - - -

One of the handiest power hand tools is my newly aquired cordless
impact driver - use as power screwdriver or light duty impact wrench.
Also have both air and electric 1/2 inch impacts - - -

Seems youcan't have too many tools - - - -
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I could lend her my reciprocating saw - she's already used it to help me cut
up a sofa bed mechanism - but it's way too limited in its "woodworking"
applications. Woodwrecking, sure, but probably not a saw she needs to own.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2018 8:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Of course, Fesstool.

https://www.festoolusa.com/products/...i-eb-basic-usa

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

A lot of people have irrational fear of circular saws of any kind My
Dad was doing a good bit of building at one point (200 foot bulkhead,
150 foot dock, three-car garage and attached workshop of equal size,
storehouse (not "shed", it served the same function but had about a
thousand square feet of floorspace) and the only saw he had was a 20
buck jigsaw he got at the Navy Exchange (he actually had four of them
from which he had scavenged enough pieces to make one working
saw--they were really crappy). I got him a Sawzall and a Skil worm
drive saw and after he got over being afraid of the Skil (I I never
figured out why he was afraid of them--he was a Seabee in the Pacific
in WWII so lack of experience or exposure can't be it) he was happy as
a pig in ****. A few years later he told me the only good tools he
had were ones that I had given him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Whether that was true or not, that's what any Dad worth being a Dad
would say. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 13:48:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Whether that was true or not, that's what any Dad worth being a Dad would say. ;-)

Well I am a bit late, I have a Bosch CS 20. I like it a lot, main
thing I like was no tail, just plug in your extension cord and go.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 8:49:51 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Other than a drill, this will be her first real power tool. I have a Porter
Cable 743 left blade which I love. I'd buy her the same saw but it's no longer
available, other than used.

Though not my preference to buy used, especially for a daughter's gift of any kind, consider this, maybe:

Seems your daughter is a practical woman. She may appreciate a practical gift option, even if used.

Home Depot has this Ryobi combo set for $129. I bought one about a year ago, a convenient kit I kept at my Mother's house.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...P883/203466914

The drill is very good. It's nice to have an additional drill (I have 3 total, 1 heavy corded, keyed chuck Milwaukee and 2 battery Ryobis). I use all of them, often. These Ryobi drills aren't quite strong enough to easily drill a half inch hole in cypress, a somewhat soft wood, but otherwise does a very good job with smaller bits. The quick change bits (no keyed chuck) is convenient for most of my uses.

The saber saw is somewhat weak, but ok for small cuts. The blade that came with it is poor, for cutting 1" poplar boards (see chair example below). I don't know if better blades can be purchased. A better blade would make it an overall better tool, than as is.

Same for the circular saw, weak, but ok for thin boards and/or small jobs (like pallet boards). I recently used the circular saw to cut up a arm chair frame.... 1" poplar wood. It performed reasonably well for this job. It's not a heavy duty tool.

??? A pawnshop buy may be reasonable for a stronger/beefier tool, despite used. I would suppose pawn shops may be receiving lots of reasonable tools this time of year. Might be worth a look-see, there. Hand-spin the arbor to check for odd sounds, roughness, grinding or other unusual anomalies (possible problems?). The pawnshop should have an outlet to test its operation, as well.

Some years ago, while visiting my sister in NC, I bought a C-saw at a pawn shop for $35, for doing a few chores, there. She still uses it, still in good condition.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

No. Its much harder to cut a straight line with a Sawzall. And to follow the 2x4 stretcher boards and cut out the 1x baseboards. Difficult with a Sawzall. Easier with a jigsaw. Not easy or simple, but much easier than using a Sawzall. I think you are assuming a pallet is rough and oddly shaped.. Its not. Pallets are fairly simple and generally clean and easy to work on. You're just cutting a bunch of 1x6s.

As for your implication that a jigsaw is dangerous. I bet if you checked every emergency room in the USA over the years, you would find far more than a few with cases of people cutting off their fingers with circular saws. And you might find one or less of people cutting off their fingers with a jigsaw. You might, maybe find a couple cases of people going to the hospital for stitches from a nasty jigsaw cut.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I didn't say a jigsaw was "dangerous" just that it was not "safe" - IE
it CAN do bodily harm. NO TOOL is intrinsically safe. (or as I put it
- IDIOTPROOF.) Cutting 2X hardwood with a saber saw is an exercise
in futility. It was the 8 foot 2X
stringers" of the pallets I used that were the attractive bits -
although I did use the 1X boards for decking of the attic floor. I had
to drill every blooming hole before I could nail the suckers down

I know what a pallet is - and I know what kind of wood is often used.
I built my shed using lumber from sheet metal pallets and the wood was
all "mixed hardwood" including ironwood, birch, maple, locust, ash,
elm and oak. Being kiln dried and IPPC heat treated the stuff was
HARD. Cutting the 1X6 portions with a sabre saw would have been
DREADFULLY slow and hard on blades. The Sawzall with a demolition
blade was hard enough - while the carbide blade in my 8 1/4 inch
Milwaukee circular saw went through it almost effortlessly - and was
not appreciably dulled after a few hundred cuts through the rough 2X4
sections.

I've had more injuries from a hand held coping saw than from any and
all other saws I've operated combined. (and I sttarted using saws -
starting with that coping saw, 60years ago.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 2:40:34 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I inherited a Ryobi 18 volt combo set from my Dad. The old blue & black style.
6" C-saw, jigsaw, drill. Weak isn't the word for it. Unusable for any serious
work is a better description. Maybe the new green Lithium stuff is better, but
since you called them "weak", I'm gonna stick with my "No Ryobi tools for me"
rule. That rule extends to buying them for my immediate family.

??? A pawnshop buy may be reasonable for a stronger/beefier tool, despite used. I would suppose pawn shops may be receiving lots of reasonable tools this time of year. Might be worth a look-see, there. Hand-spin the arbor to check for odd sounds, roughness, grinding or other unusual anomalies (possible problems?). The pawnshop should have an outlet to test its operation, as well.

Some years ago, while visiting my sister in NC, I bought a C-saw at a pawn shop for $35, for doing a few chores, there. She still uses it, still in good condition.

I picked up a barely used PC690 Router and a Dewalt ROS for $80 at pawn shop
last year. All I was looking for was an extra fixed base for my 690 to mount
to the router table I had just built when I stumbled across the Craigslist ad
for the whole router. I didn't know that it was a pawn shop until I called
them. I hadn't even planned on buying a ROS, but I'm sure glad I found that
one amongst the pile of beat up sanders.

This place also sells a lot of brand new combo sets, mostly Dewalt. Only
problem is that their price isn't low enough for me to forgo the warranty.
Maybe I should check again and see what they have in stock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

I've had more injuries from a hand held coping saw than from any and
all other saws I've operated combined. (and I sttarted using saws -
starting with that coping saw, 60years ago.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:42:21 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

Good luck.
My 8 1/4 inch circular saw can do any of those cuts simply and
quickly AND accurately. The sawzall will do it quickly but not
accurately and certainly not consistantly.

No sabre saw I have ever used can do it - period.

More of my required cuts are something other than a square crosscut.
Ripping with anything but a circular saw is an exercise in
frustration. I reserve the sabre saw for cuts that are not straight.
Even blind or plunge cuts with the circular saw are relatively simple
(just finish up with a hand saw or sabre saw to square up the end of
the cut)

A BAND saw is another really handy saw, but not , generally, for
portable use --- -
I've had more injuries from a hand held coping saw than from any and
all other saws I've operated combined. (and I sttarted using saws -
starting with that coping saw, 60years ago.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

2X? You said 1x6. That's not "2X".

I'm sorry but I did not take a stopwatch to it, I didn't notice
anything remarkable about the cutting. As for the blade, it's
whatever Bosch recommends, I don't know the number off the top of my
head.

Good luck.
My 8 1/4 inch circular saw can do any of those cuts simply and
quickly AND accurately. The sawzall will do it quickly but not
accurately and certainly not consistantly.

If I need accuracy that's that the table saw is for.

No sabre saw I have ever used can do it - period.

More of my required cuts are something other than a square crosscut.
Ripping with anything but a circular saw is an exercise in
frustration. I reserve the sabre saw for cuts that are not straight.
Even blind or plunge cuts with the circular saw are relatively simple
(just finish up with a hand saw or sabre saw to square up the end of
the cut)

A BAND saw is another really handy saw, but not , generally, for
portable use --- -
I've had more injuries from a hand held coping saw than from any and
all other saws I've operated combined. (and I sttarted using saws -
starting with that coping saw, 60years ago.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

2X? You said 1x6. That's not "2X".

"I" said I used all the rough 2Xs to frame my shed. 8 footers. Used
the 1X hardwood for the attic decking too

I'm sorry but I did not take a stopwatch to it, I didn't notice
anything remarkable about the cutting. As for the blade, it's
whatever Bosch recommends, I don't know the number off the top of my
head.

Good luck.
My 8 1/4 inch circular saw can do any of those cuts simply and
quickly AND accurately. The sawzall will do it quickly but not
accurately and certainly not consistantly.

If I need accuracy that's that the table saw is for.

Cutting framing on a table saw?????? Sure it CAN be done, but it's
easier to handle moving the circ saw over the wood than moving 8 ft
harwood 2X over the table saw.

And accuracy is good for framing too.

Back in '64 building the addition on the family home Dad ripped half
the length of 14 foot 2X10 at an angle from 2 inches at the end to
zero at the 7 foot point, then nailed that wedge on top of the other
end to give a 4 inch roof slope. Nothing but a hand held circular saw
was in the running for that job - and a "cheap" saw wasn't up to the
job either!!!The roof was 36 feet long - burned out one saw and used
up most of the life of another one - after which he bought his first
GOOD circular saw.

No sabre saw I have ever used can do it - period.

More of my required cuts are something other than a square crosscut.
Ripping with anything but a circular saw is an exercise in
frustration. I reserve the sabre saw for cuts that are not straight.
Even blind or plunge cuts with the circular saw are relatively simple
(just finish up with a hand saw or sabre saw to square up the end of
the cut)

A BAND saw is another really handy saw, but not , generally, for
portable use --- -
I've had more injuries from a hand held coping saw than from any and
all other saws I've operated combined. (and I sttarted using saws -
starting with that coping saw, 60years ago.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry but I've never seen framing I couldn't cut adequately with a
Bosch.

And accuracy is good for framing too.

We seem to have different definitions of "accuracy".

Back in '64 building the addition on the family home Dad ripped half
the length of 14 foot 2X10 at an angle from 2 inches at the end to
zero at the 7 foot point, then nailed that wedge on top of the other
end to give a 4 inch roof slope. Nothing but a hand held circular saw
was in the running for that job - and a "cheap" saw wasn't up to the
job either!!!The roof was 36 feet long - burned out one saw and used
up most of the life of another one - after which he bought his first
GOOD circular saw.

I don't think that this is the sort of work that the OP's daughter is
planning to make from pallet wood. If she starts building warehouses
she'll likely need a more comprehensive tool set.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

You think perhaps we've gotten a little off track here? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What kind of saber saw do you have? My Bosch has no trouble going
through 1x6 lignum vitae.

What kind of blade do you use cutting rough 2X ironwood? And how
long does it take to cut a 4 incher? What about cutting 45 degree
cuts? Or better yet double 45s? 45 degrees across the board and 45
degrees through the board? With a sabre saw?

You're not answering the question. What sabre saws (brand, model)
have you actually tried with?

I concur on the accuracy, power and usefulness of the Bosch, and
believe that would be the best power saw of the three for DadiOH
to give to his daughter (which was the point of this thread).

Who likely will never need to cut 2x ironwood or a 4 incher.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2018 11:34 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

For most of my home projects, square edges and a reasonable cut speed
trumps the flexibility of a jigsaw.

Correct. Jig saws are for cutting curved lines, circular saws for
straight lines. Get the right tool for the job.

I highly recommend a circular saw with a laser guide that makes cutting
LONG straight lines easy for beginners and anyone w/o a track saw. Not
needed for pallets though.

For pallets, I recommend getting her tools for ripping the pallets
apart, such as a pallet buster and something to remove nails and
staples. Once ripped apart, and nails/staples removed, she can use any
cheap saw to cut them up.

https://tinyurl.com/yafdfc6k

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Elect...SIN=B00IZRUUKU

If she wears this one out, she can buy a good one, I like my Makita
5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw except it doesn't have the
mandatory laser sight. I don't own the $50 saw listed above, but for
$50, it should last enough to get a compost bin built.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 10:41:10 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 12/9/2018 11:34 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

For most of my home projects, square edges and a reasonable cut speed
trumps the flexibility of a jigsaw.

Correct. Jig saws are for cutting curved lines, circular saws for
straight lines. Get the right tool for the job.

I forgot the other saw I have that I find very usefull - my
mitre/chop saw. It's not a sliding compound miter saw which would be
even handier

I highly recommend a circular saw with a laser guide that makes cutting
LONG straight lines easy for beginners and anyone w/o a track saw. Not
needed for pallets though.

For pallets, I recommend getting her tools for ripping the pallets
apart, such as a pallet buster and something to remove nails and
staples. Once ripped apart, and nails/staples removed, she can use any
cheap saw to cut them up.

https://tinyurl.com/yafdfc6k

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Elect...SIN=B00IZRUUKU

If she wears this one out, she can buy a good one, I like my Makita
5007MG Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw except it doesn't have the
mandatory laser sight. I don't own the $50 saw listed above, but for
$50, it should last enough to get a compost bin built.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You would frame a shed doing all yout cuts with a jigsaw rather than a
circular saw???????????
And accuracy is good for framing too.

We seem to have different definitions of "accuracy".

Straight right angle square cuts within 1/8 inch tolerance. By
straight and square Imean 90 degrees all directions.

Not a simple task with a jigsaw - whether it's a cheap one, a bosch,
or a Fesstool.

Back in '64 building the addition on the family home Dad ripped half
the length of 14 foot 2X10 at an angle from 2 inches at the end to
zero at the 7 foot point, then nailed that wedge on top of the other
end to give a 4 inch roof slope. Nothing but a hand held circular saw
was in the running for that job - and a "cheap" saw wasn't up to the
job either!!!The roof was 36 feet long - burned out one saw and used
up most of the life of another one - after which he bought his first
GOOD circular saw.

I don't think that this is the sort of work that the OP's daughter is
planning to make from pallet wood. If she starts building warehouses
she'll likely need a more comprehensive tool set.

Just a bedroom and dining room addition plus a garage - not a
warehouseby any stretch.

She MAY very well want to accurately rip pallet wood to get a nice
smooth edge though - again not easy with a sabre saw. A good planer
blade on a circular saw can leave an edge as good as a jointer/planer
(which she WON'T have - - -)

You can stick with your "jigsaw" - but it's the last saw I'd own as
my ONLY power saw!!!!