Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Recommendation For First Circular Saw

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 11:38:02 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 23:26:39 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 17:47:52 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 9:49:51 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Christmas is coming. I'm considering buying a circular saw for my daughter.
She's 26.

Other than a drill, this will be her first real power tool. I have a Porter
Cable 743 left blade which I love. I'd buy her the same saw but it's no longer
available, other than used. Same for the 843 which I believe is the same saw
but with a brake. Same issue with PC 424 MAG, another saw in that same line.
(I think).

So, if I can't get what I'm familiar with, I'm looking for suggestions for
decent left blade circular saw. A brake would be great.

No, she is not going to start framing houses, at least not right away. ;-)
All I know really know is that she wants to start doing some woodworking
and was wondering what type of "first saw" she should get. She also
mentioned cutting up some pallets to make a compost bin.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Update: I found a left blade PC743 on Craigslist listed for $120. A guy
bought a one-price lot of tools at an estate sale and didn't need the saw.
As I mentioned in another post, you can't touch them on ebay for under $150
with shipping and you sure can't test them. Some are listed for well over
$200.

It was a 3 hour round trip to get it. I offered him $110 and he took it.
He let me test it and it's a good thing that I brought my own blade. I knew
I wouldn't be able to test it if the blade was shot and boy, did I make the
right call. I barely got 1" into a piece of 5/4" x 12 pine when the burning
started. I put a new Diablo 60 tooth blade on it and it went through the
board like butter.

Now I have twins:

https://i.imgur.com/MZeyYZD.jpg

I may change the cord before I give it to my daughter. It's a little dried
out, especially the strain relief section by the handle.

I'm buying her the saw, one of my son's is going to buy her some different
types of blades, and my other son is going to buy her some (more) clamps.
All she'll need is a straight edge and some youtube videos, and she'll be
good to go.

Excellent choice
Glad you didn't succumb to the Brit (I believe) who was trying to
convince you to go for a sabre saw!!!! (the least used of ALL my saws
- I use my old keyhole saw at least as often - - -

Brits don't learn from SeaBees. If you don't know the term, look it
up.

How does that work exactly? Is it a genetic thing? If a SeaBee is talking to a Brit does the
British brain's learning process just shut down? ;-)