Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Handheld circular saw recommendation?

I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use
than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to
use than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard

How much you willing to shell out is the question?

Here's a battery one for 60GBP

Then theres the Frued at the same price, which is a better make but mains.

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to
use than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard

How much you willing to shell out is the question?

Here's a battery one for 60GBP

Then theres the Frued at the same price, which is a better make but
mains.

Forget the Ryobi never to notice of battery seperate,cheeky bleeders

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use
than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard

I got a (gulp) "performance pro" rechargable one from B&Q & it was
about 40 quid. Work's just fine and has lasted several years but the
baseplate does flex if you put too much force on it. It has a fine
toothed disc which gives a good cut. For laminate I generally use a
slide saw. Laminate will blunt a good blade in no time at all. For
heavier duty tasks the rechargeable saw doesn't have much stamina so I
use a mains powered saw then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use
than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard

IME cheap circular saws are fine if you don't need precise adjustment,
and the blades they come with are ok for routine stuff like flooring and
worktops.
I know you get what you pay for but in this instance it's a question of
not paying for what you don't need.
Duck :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Tobin wrote:

I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use
than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

General comments he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/circularsaw.htm

For a mid range price the saws made by Skil (now part of Bosch) can be
more than adequate. If you want a good top end one the Hitachi make some
of the best I have used.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use
than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard

stay well away from power devils - just in case youre tempted

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use
than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard

stay well away from power devils - just in case youre tempted

Yes indeed, if they are still as bad as the one I got about 5 years ago,
then not at all nice, downright nasty and dangerous in fact.

The Argos Challenge one I got in a set with a diabolically poor pendulum
jigsaw for £25 is fine though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HLAH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use
than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard

stay well away from power devils - just in case youre tempted

Yes indeed, if they are still as bad as the one I got about 5 years ago,
then not at all nice, downright nasty and dangerous in fact.

The Argos Challenge one I got in a set with a diabolically poor pendulum
jigsaw for £25 is fine though.

Nasty and dangerous? Why? Maybe I've missed something on mine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
HLAH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use
than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard
stay well away from power devils - just in case youre tempted

Yes indeed, if they are still as bad as the one I got about 5 years ago,
then not at all nice, downright nasty and dangerous in fact.

The Argos Challenge one I got in a set with a diabolically poor pendulum
jigsaw for £25 is fine though.

Nasty and dangerous? Why? Maybe I've missed something on mine

The safety guard catches and won't retract easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Tobin wrote:
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to
use than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard

Not that I'd buy a circular this cheap,but for your general DIY once in a
while usage? Buy a good fine cut blade for it and it'll do.
http://www.netto.co.uk

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:54:22 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

For a mid range price the saws made by Skil (now part of Bosch) can be
more than adequate. If you want a good top end one the Hitachi make some
of the best I have used.

I've got a Skil saw which I'm scared of. It is a powerful beast and
commands respect (as does anything with a fast, sharp blade spining
very close to your hands). Having said that it _does_ do all I ask it
to.
For less demanding work (like cutting a fullsize ply board into more
managable pieces) I got one of the cheapo cordless jobs off ebay. It
has 2 batteries but does run out of "puff" pretty quickly. OK for
50 quid though.

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

For a mid range price the saws made by Skil (now part of Bosch) can be
more than adequate. If you want a good top end one the Hitachi make some
of the best I have used.

Any opinion on the Australian Triton brand?

Their 235 mm circular saw is sold in B&Q Warehouses for about 230 pounds.
Or on special offer, direct:
http://tritontools.co.uk/specials.ph...c362318495 ba

I'm tempted by their kit - saw tables etc, but not bit the bullet yet.

Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

But how could a circular saw with a non-square base be of any value at
all at any price?

It required only a minor modification to make it so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HLAH wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
HLAH wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Richard Tobin wrote:
[...]

Yes, mine does catch on the edge of thin material sometimes but you have
a lever there to get it started. My old Elu was the same, and that
wasn't cheap. Never had any trouble with retraction.
Senior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tobin
I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use
than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.

The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so
I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my
rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone
recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting
laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).

-- Richard

Check out this bad boy for a cheap (He he) cordless circsaw!

http://tinyurl.com/em3u6

Certainly want your brains tested if you want one of these with only 62mm depth cut!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Lynch wrote:

I've got a Skil saw which I'm scared of. It is a powerful beast and
commands respect (as does anything with a fast, sharp blade spining
very close to your hands). Having said that it _does_ do all I ask it
to.

MY B&D 7 1/4" makes me feel much the same!

For less demanding work (like cutting a fullsize ply board into more
managable pieces) I got one of the cheapo cordless jobs off ebay. It
has 2 batteries but does run out of "puff" pretty quickly. OK for
50 quid though.

I bought the SIP 18v jobby with two batteries. Great for cuting MDF etc
when boxing in pipes and the like. Mine runs out of puff pretty quickly as
well, but with two batts & a 1 hour charger I can live with it. I did buy a
thin kerf blade which gives a smoother cut & improves battery life.

A sparky mate swears by the Wickes 18v one.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman