Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rigid 18V Nail Gun - Battery Question

I need to trim out a few windows and install some base molding. I found a Certified Factory Reconditioned Ridgid ZRR09890B HYPERDRIVE 18-Volt 18-Gauge 2-1/8 in. Brushless Brad Nailer for $159.

Assuming that I can get away with an 18g nailer, I want to make sure that
my Rigid batteries will work. I have the batteries shown here, which are
rated at 1.5Ah:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...052K/205690161

Those batteries will work right? They may not last long, but I have 2 and
I'm not going pro with this tool.

I open to suggestions for other nailer options, but I'm not looking to drop
hundreds on a tool that will see very little use. I have crappy 100PSI
compressor, but nothing more than the curly hose that came with it.

Thoughts?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/18 8:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to trim out a few windows and install some base molding. I
found a Certified Factory Reconditioned Ridgid ZRR09890B HYPERDRIVE
18-Volt 18-Gauge 2-1/8 in. Brushless Brad Nailer for $159.

Assuming that I can get away with an 18g nailer, I want to make sure
that my Rigid batteries will work. I have the batteries shown here,
which are rated at 1.5Ah:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...052K/205690161

Those batteries will work right? They may not last long, but I have
2 and I'm not going pro with this tool.

I open to suggestions for other nailer options, but I'm not looking
to drop hundreds on a tool that will see very little use. I have
crappy 100PSI compressor, but nothing more than the curly hose that
came with it.

Thoughts?

I have the same Ridgid batteries for several drill/drivers and I
recently bought their battery brad nailer on a whim for a quick job in a
restaurant in which the owner didn't want a compressor running or a long
air hose in the place.

It worked with my batteries (all Ridgid battery tools and batts are
compatible) and I was very pleased with the cordless brad nailer. I'm
keeping it because I get many jobs where I only need to pull and replace
a few feet of trim and it's a real PITA to lug the compressor and hoses
up and down stairs to shoot a half-dozen nails.

The Ridgid nailer works very well and I wish I'd gotten one years ago.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 9:27:02 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I remember your post. [Been thinking about that chisel sharpener ever
since ;-)]

So, 18g is good size? Some things I read said if you were going to own
one nailer, an 18g is a good "all-around" choice. Other places say 18g
is too small for trim work, 16g is better.

(I'm sure this thread was going to head in that direction anyway, so I'll
take it there now.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/18 8:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Having shot literally thousands of feet of trim with 16g nails and just
recently moved to 18g, I can honestly say that 16g is overkill in many
cases. Plus, the 18g nail-head leaves a much smaller hole to be filled.

But I'm not trading in my 16g nailers any time soon. There is a time
and place for both. Many modern trims are very flexible and can be held
securely with 18s. But if I'm shooting poplar or thicker trim to a
ceiling, I'm sticking with 16g.

I'll stick with both sizes and use each accordingly, but I'm very
pleased with the 16s coming out of the Ridgid for their intended purposes.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to trim out a few windows and install some base molding. I found a
Certified Factory Reconditioned Ridgid ZRR09890B HYPERDRIVE 18-Volt
18-Gauge 2-1/8 in. Brushless Brad Nailer for $159.

Assuming that I can get away with an 18g nailer, I want to make sure that
my Rigid batteries will work. I have the batteries shown here, which are
rated at 1.5Ah:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...052K/205690161

Those batteries will work right? They may not last long, but I have 2 and
I'm not going pro with this tool.

I open to suggestions for other nailer options, but I'm not looking to drop
hundreds on a tool that will see very little use. I have crappy 100PSI
compressor, but nothing more than the curly hose that came with it.

Thoughts?

100 psi is likely plenty for a HF finish nailer an a whole lot less
expensive. I would go that route.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 10:46:18 PM UTC-5, Leon Bridges wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

A HF nailer might go well with my HF compressor. ;-)

They have a 3-in-1 16g/18g/18g staple for $90. Might be worth a try for
this job. Easily returnable if it sucks. Plus it features "Economical air
consumption".

(I need to use long nails. My walls are 3/4" thick. 3/8" plaster over 3/8"
gypsum board) The original nails for the window trim were 2.5" where they
nailed the edge that overlaps the plaster)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Not necessarily. That wall configuration is a candidate for "X" nailing.
Shoot nails at 45° angles, closely spaced, and it should hold fine.

In any case, most nail guns will shoot 2-1/2" brads which should eat
enough stud to hold trim. 3/4" + 1/2" trim leaves plenty of nail in the
stud/sole plate.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

The HF 16 gaugers do "1-1/4 in. to 2-1/2 in. finishing nails", the 18 gaugers
do "5/8 in. to 2 in. brad nails"

Since the 3-in-1 does both 16g and 18g, that might work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I assume 3 in 1 means that it shoots nails also. You don't want to use
staples given the size of divot they make that would need to be puttied
over.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Agreed, but I read it the other way around. 3-in-1 means it shoots staples also.

16g finish nails
18g brad nails
18g staples

I'd call it a mailer that also shoots staples. Tomato-Tomato

That doesn't work as well when typed vs. spoken. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 10:10:52 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "You suck" but...

I bought the HF 3-in-1 nailer yesterday. $70 after coupon. Came home to
test it and the regulator knob on my POS HF 100 PSI 2 gallon compressor
came off in my hand. (Is it really a POS if it lasted 25 years or is it
a POS that lasted 25 years? Not sure.)

Anyway, Lowes has PC 150 PSI 6-Gallon compressor for $99, so my plan was to
go this morning and grab one. Then I looked on Offer Up.

Same compressor, 18g gun, 16g gun, 20' hose, new in box. Asking $140. You
know the guy will take $120, so I used my standard "negotiating" tactic. "Look, I'll offer you $100, we'll settle on $120 and eliminate the back and
forth, OK?" Done.

I just tested it and everything seems to work fine:

https://i.imgur.com/GAbu7XH.jpg

I'll tell myself that I got the 2 guns and the hose for $20.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/18 4:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Definitely a great deal, especially with low mileage.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pretty good deal, I think. FWIW, I have had great luck with HF's larger compressors. I have absolutely used the crap out of my 2hp 8 gallon purchase of over 10 years ago. It was $99 buck then, and on occasion it is still $99.

I don't have much use for Porter Cable tools these days. BUT... I have a PC brad gun that is great. Never jams, shoots all brands of brads equally, and consistently shoots the nails just sub flush. My roofing nailer isn' much good for roofing, but does a good job on insulation and small roof repairs.

One of my subs has a PC compressor exactly as the one you bought and has had it for about 3 years. Runs flawlessly, doesn't blow breakers, and keeps up nicely with two guns if not overloaded, and it can keep up with any one gun we have including my framers.

I would say out of the PC stable, you get the best if their offerings! Put 'em to work!

Robert