Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone used new B&Q 18V Nail gun?

Noticed an 18V cordless nailer in B&Q today at £50 --- not the sort that
fires thin brads but one that takes standard nails 40mm to 150mm and up
to a 10mm head IIRC.

No magazine --- you load nails one at a time into the jaws at the front
of the tool.

It's MacAllister brand so possibly a rebaged GMC product although it's
not on their website.

Didn't have time to study the manual but I guess it taps the nails in
like an impact driver or an SDS nail driver rather than blasting them in
Paslode-style. There was a depth setting gauge on the side.

Anyone got any experience of this tool or any views on how good/crap it
might be (bearing in mind it's a seventh the price of a Paslode and four
times as much as a decent Stanley claw hammer)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James wrote:
Noticed an 18V cordless nailer in B&Q today at £50 --- not the sort
that fires thin brads but one that takes standard nails 40mm to 150mm
and up to a 10mm head IIRC.

No magazine --- you load nails one at a time into the jaws at the
front of the tool.

It's MacAllister brand so possibly a rebaged GMC product although it's
not on their website.

Didn't have time to study the manual but I guess it taps the nails in
like an impact driver or an SDS nail driver rather than blasting them
in Paslode-style. There was a depth setting gauge on the side.

Anyone got any experience of this tool or any views on how good/crap
it might be (bearing in mind it's a seventh the price of a Paslode
and four times as much as a decent Stanley claw hammer)?

My view is that it's crap...the only reason for using a nailgun is speed,
this will be slower than doing it manually, unless you only have one arm,
then it will be a godsend.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James" wrote in message
Noticed an 18V cordless nailer in B&Q today at £50 --- not the sort that
fires thin brads but one that takes standard nails 40mm to 150mm and up
to a 10mm head IIRC.

No magazine --- you load nails one at a time into the jaws at the front
of the tool.

It's MacAllister brand so possibly a rebaged GMC product although it's
not on their website.

Didn't have time to study the manual but I guess it taps the nails in
like an impact driver or an SDS nail driver rather than blasting them in
Paslode-style. There was a depth setting gauge on the side.

Anyone got any experience of this tool or any views on how good/crap it
might be (bearing in mind it's a seventh the price of a Paslode and four
times as much as a decent Stanley claw hammer)?

Seems to me that if you need to load each nail individually, then it defeats
the main advantage of having a nail gun to start with. I suspect this is one
of those things that gets wheeled out before Christmas, only to languish
unused on the top shelves of garages and sheds in thousands of homes the
rest of the year.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

But it's manual feed not magazine, you'd have to get good at spitting
the nails into the gun, or use a foot !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:55:39 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

My view is that it's crap...the only reason for using a nailgun is speed,
this will be slower than doing it manually, unless you only have one arm,
then it will be a godsend.

If it's the thing I read about elsewhere, it actually bangs the nail
in like a hammer1 )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My view is that it's crap...the only reason for using a nailgun is speed,
this will be slower than doing it manually, unless you only have one arm,
then it will be a godsend.

If it's the thing I read about elsewhere, it actually bangs the nail
in like a hammer1

I have a second B&Q nail gun that fires a clip of 40 mm nails. It is
crap. I might find a use for it on a glazing job if I ever get one big
enough to warrant geting it out the cupboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My view is that it's crap...the only reason for using a nailgun is
speed, this will be slower than doing it manually, unless you only
have one arm, then it will be a godsend.

If it's the thing I read about elsewhere, it actually bangs the nail
in like a hammer1 )

a la Homer Simpson's invention?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
wrote:

My view is that it's crap...the only reason for using a nailgun is
speed, this will be slower than doing it manually, unless you only
have one arm, then it will be a godsend.

If it's the thing I read about elsewhere, it actually bangs the nail
in like a hammer1 )

a la Homer Simpson's invention?

No that was Edison's ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My view is that it's crap...the only reason for using a nailgun is
speed, this will be slower than doing it manually, unless you only
have one arm, then it will be a godsend.

If it's the thing I read about elsewhere, it actually bangs the nail
in like a hammer1 )

a la Homer Simpson's invention?

Dunnu, but I found someone last week complaining bitterly about a
"nail gun" from a shed that had no magazine and when he tried it, it
went bang, bang, bang, very slowly and hit the nail in. I remembered
it because it was so funny. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , James
writes
Noticed an 18V cordless nailer in B&Q today at £50 --- not the sort that
fires thin brads but one that takes standard nails 40mm to 150mm and up
to a 10mm head IIRC.
Anyone got any experience of this tool or any views on how good/crap it
might be (bearing in mind it's a seventh the price of a Paslode and four
times as much as a decent Stanley claw hammer)?

Wasn't this covered here about a month and a half ago? I think the
poster returned it because it was crap.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

James wrote:
Noticed an 18V cordless nailer in B&Q today at £50 --- not the sort that
fires thin brads but one that takes standard nails 40mm to 150mm and up
to a 10mm head IIRC.

No magazine --- you load nails one at a time into the jaws at the front
of the tool.

It's MacAllister brand so possibly a rebaged GMC product although it's
not on their website.

Didn't have time to study the manual but I guess it taps the nails in
like an impact driver or an SDS nail driver rather than blasting them in
Paslode-style. There was a depth setting gauge on the side.

Anyone got any experience of this tool or any views on how good/crap it
might be (bearing in mind it's a seventh the price of a Paslode and four
times as much as a decent Stanley claw hammer)?

Its crap. I bought one and took it back next day.

Search for my previous post about it.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
James wrote:
[...]

It looks well priced and solid. I very rarely use nails and an Impact
Driver using screws, even 6" screws, is better than nails.

Nail gun questions Raffo Woodworking 17 June 20th 06 04:26 PM
Which Nail Gun? poolq2010 Woodworking 11 February 9th 06 12:01 PM
Paslode Nail Gun Scooby UK diy 0 January 25th 05 05:12 PM
Nail Gun Thoughts Cleve L. Woodworking 26 October 15th 04 10:01 PM
Is there a difference btw a Finish nail gun and Brad nail gun? dteckie Woodworking 4 September 10th 04 12:03 PM