Posted to rec.woodworking
poolq2010

Default Which Nail Gun?

I am looking to buy a nail gun for home remodeling. Can Someone tell
me what each type of nail gun is used for or is there a site I can go
to. Also Do i need to be picky when i get ready to buy a Table saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

"poolq2010" wrote in message
. ..

I am looking to buy a nail gun for home remodeling. Can Someone tell me
what each type of nail gun is used for or is there a site I can go to.

I'm satisfied with my Porter cable FC350 (clipped head framing nailer). The
trigger that comes with it is pretty aggressive but PC will mail you a less
aggressive trigger (great for this old geezer) free of charge if you call
them. I also found amazon.com to have the best price with no sales tax and
free shipping on orders over $25. RM~

Posted to rec.woodworking
Searcher

In choosing a table saw, the first thing that you should look for is an all
cast iron table and leafs. Once you have found one with that usually it will
be a quality one. As for brands, Personally, I have a Craftsman with cast
iron. I know these guys don't care for Crapsman, but I worked for Sears for
a time and got a hell of a deal on it. Just btwix you and I and the rest of
the rec.woodies I paid 170.00 for it regularly 800.00 at the time. SO for
the money it was well worth it. I did change the blade to a Freud last week,
and lemme tell ya'll it was the best 22 bucks I ever spent on a blade, Yeah
I got that one cheap too. I'm a cheap kinda guy, I just tonight bought two
NEW kerosene heaters from Lowes for 15.50 ea. reg 139.00 ea. My wife can
smell the deals from the house! As far as nailers I like the Paslodes.
Although I don't currently own one yet, Haven't found a good deal yet!

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

poolq2010 wrote:

I am looking to buy a nail gun for home remodeling. Can Someone
tell me what each type of nail gun is used for or is there a site
I can go to. Also Do i need to be picky when i get ready to buy a
Table saw?

Depends on the type of home remodeling you wish to do. Different guns
serve different purposes and depending on what or how much you need to
nail, you may not even need a gun.

As far as the table saw, again it depends on what you'll be doing and
how much you'll be doing it. You can easily build a whole damn house
without a tablesaw yet you might have another job where one would be
indispensable.

Joe Barta
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"poolq2010" wrote in message
. ..
I am looking to buy a nail gun for home remodeling. Can Someone tell
me what each type of nail gun is used for or is there a site I can go
to. Also Do i need to be picky when i get ready to buy a Table saw?

Hitachi or Porter Cable. I have both. Only the Hitachi NR90AC3 or the PC
FR350MAG will drive a full 16d .161 common nail. Check with local codes
before buying a gun that will only drive 16d .131 nails.

As for the other uses, trim work, roofing ect. Both Hitachi and PC make
quality units.

For a table saw, buy the best saw you can barely afford. You won't regret
it.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

"poolq2010" wrote in message
. ..
I am looking to buy a nail gun for home remodeling. Can Someone tell
me what each type of nail gun is used for or is there a site I can go
to. Also Do i need to be picky when i get ready to buy a Table saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas Kendrick

Framing nailer - used primarily for connecting structural 2x lumber or
subfloor
Finish nailer - 15 ga (angled magazine) and 16 ga (straight magazine)
for trim
Brad nailer - 18 ga for trim
Narrow-guage stapler - for trim
Medium-guage stapler - for sheathing and some cabinetwork

Find the nearest supplier of nails for framing contractors and
construction tradesmen. These folks depend on this equipment to earn
money. They will repair your nailgun if you buy nails from them.
Some of the professional brands (Paslode, PC, Hitachi, Makita, Senco,
Bostich, etc.) are also available in home centers. Nail availability
is more important than nailgun price.

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:01:06 GMT, lid (poolq2010) wrote:

I am looking to buy a nail gun for home remodeling. Can Someone tell
me what each type of nail gun is used for or is there a site I can go
to. Also Do i need to be picky when i get ready to buy a Table saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

I'm unsure of the scope of your planned remodel, but there is not a
single nail gun that will do all nailing involved in a home remodel. In
fact, you may need (at least) three. If you plan on building new walls
(etc), a framing gun will fasten the lumber together. Framing guns
generally shoot a 16d nail, 3" or so long. If your not going to
drastically change the layout of your home, I'd just hand nail the lumber
together. It would save you upwards of $300 for the price of a framing gun.
Finish trim generally requires two guns. A finish nailer and a brad nailer.
The finish nailer is used to install prehung doors, baseboard, and crown
molding. I like the angled 15 gauge as opposed to 16 gauge finish guns, and
use 2 1/2" nails for those tasks. Brad guns shoot 18 gauge fasteners. I
use 1 1/4" brads for trim work. The finish gun is also used in conjunction
with the brad gun to install casing. Most standard casings are thinner
where it meets the door or window jamb and brads are used to fasten the trim
there. The other side is fastened to the wall with finish nails. Shoe
molding is installed with brads.
Brand name brad guns run from $100 to $150 and finish guns about $150 to
$200. I've owned mostly Porter Cable and Senco guns and have been happy
with them. I'd suggest choosing a gun(s) that takes fasteners which are
easily obtained in your area. If you can't afford all three guns, I'd go
for the finish and brad guns first. --dave

"poolq2010" wrote in message
. ..
I am looking to buy a nail gun for home remodeling. Can Someone tell
me what each type of nail gun is used for or is there a site I can go
to. Also Do i need to be picky when i get ready to buy a Table saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , poolq2010
wrote:

I am looking to buy a nail gun for home remodeling. Can Someone tell

me what
each type of nail gun is used for or is there a site I can go

to. Also Do i
need to be picky when i get ready to buy a Table saw?

Buy the cheapest gun that will fire the biggest nails you think you'll
need.

You'll only be using the SOB every now and then, so keep it oiled and
you'll be fine.

--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!
Posted to rec.woodworking
www

Default Which Nail Gun? Some Nail Gun Reviews Here...

Senco FinishPro 41XP Finish Nailer (15ga) -
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/sencoxp41.htm
Fasco GN40A Brad Nailer (18ga) -
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/fascogn40a.htm
Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer -
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...bleCOIL250.htm
Porter Cable FR350A Full Round Head Framing Nailer -
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...ableFR350A.htm
Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler -
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...ableNS150A.htm
GMC ATFRGK Framing Nailer -
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...mingnailer.htm

Hope that helps.
--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
+ Over 100 detailed woodworking product reviews now online! +
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Double Edge Trimmer
- Kreg Bandsaw Fence
- Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System
- Veritas Router Plane
- Demain Angle Grinder
- Kreg K3 Pocket Hole System

Posted to rec.woodworking
NOTME

"poolq2010" wrote in message
. ..
I am looking to buy a nail gun for home remodeling. Can Someone tell
me what each type of nail gun is used for or is there a site I can go
to. Also Do i need to be picky when i get ready to buy a Table saw?

Well if you are doing any framing the Bostitch N88RH-2MCN Is a good buy. I
just purchased one of them because it shoots full round head nails in all
code compliant sizes (For framing in Los Angeles) and has an adaptor tip to
shoot Teco nails into metal connectors. It's amazing how many metal
connectors are required to build a wood framed house these days. The Teco
nails are a little hard to find and cost a bit more than they should, but it
beats pounding them in by hand.

Here is a link to the Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"NOTME" wrote in message:

It's amazing how many metal connectors are required
to build a wood framed house these days.

Yep ... and every nail hole must be filled.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05