Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Rigid 18V Nail Gun - Battery Question

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 9:27:02 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/21/18 8:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to trim out a few windows and install some base molding. I
found a Certified Factory Reconditioned Ridgid ZRR09890B HYPERDRIVE
18-Volt 18-Gauge 2-1/8 in. Brushless Brad Nailer for $159.

Assuming that I can get away with an 18g nailer, I want to make sure
that my Rigid batteries will work. I have the batteries shown here,
which are rated at 1.5Ah:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...052K/205690161

Those batteries will work right? They may not last long, but I have
2 and I'm not going pro with this tool.

I open to suggestions for other nailer options, but I'm not looking
to drop hundreds on a tool that will see very little use. I have
crappy 100PSI compressor, but nothing more than the curly hose that
came with it.

Thoughts?

I have the same Ridgid batteries for several drill/drivers and I
recently bought their battery brad nailer on a whim for a quick job in a
restaurant in which the owner didn't want a compressor running or a long
air hose in the place.

It worked with my batteries (all Ridgid battery tools and batts are
compatible) and I was very pleased with the cordless brad nailer. I'm
keeping it because I get many jobs where I only need to pull and replace
a few feet of trim and it's a real PITA to lug the compressor and hoses
up and down stairs to shoot a half-dozen nails.

The Ridgid nailer works very well and I wish I'd gotten one years ago.

Yeah, I remember your post. [Been thinking about that chisel sharpener ever
since ;-)]

So, 18g is good size? Some things I read said if you were going to own
one nailer, an 18g is a good "all-around" choice. Other places say 18g
is too small for trim work, 16g is better.

(I'm sure this thread was going to head in that direction anyway, so I'll
take it there now.)