Posted to rec.woodworking

Default alexa in the shop

anyone tried alexa in the shop yet
it might be useful for this

find me the closest and lowest price for water based white primer

add fifteen sixteenths plus four and five eighths

multiply five sixteenths by fourteen

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:28:10 -0800
Electric Comet wrote:

anyone tried alexa in the shop yet
it might be useful for this

good for a laugh

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/13/sn...nior-citizens/

alessa where did i put that roll of duct tape

alexa which roll of duct tape you have seven rolls

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

anyone tried alexa in the shop yet
it might be useful for this

thinking more on this they will need to make one for high noise
and high dust environment

wondering if it can learn the background noise and still function

for example if you have the fan on or maybe music is playing or the
windows are open and there is traffic noise or wind noise

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

anyone tried alexa in the shop yet
it might be useful for this

thinking more on this they will need to make one for high noise
and high dust environment

wondering if it can learn the background noise and still function

for example if you have the fan on or maybe music is playing or the
windows are open and there is traffic noise or wind noise

She listens to me even while the TV is playing right above the pod.

She listens to me when music is playing. If she didn't how could she raise the
volume, stop the music, pause to answer a question, etc.?

Sometimes she picks up ambient noises and responds. I was watching TV the other night
and the character, using a southern accent, said "Relax, son".

The pod mistook "Relax, son" for "Alexa" and looked up some information based on what
the character said next. I said €¯Alexa, stop" and she shut up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

anyone tried alexa in the shop yet
it might be useful for this

thinking more on this they will need to make one for high noise
and high dust environment

Dust? Put her in a bag She doesn't"t have see you, just hear you.

wondering if it can learn the background noise and still function

for example if you have the fan on or maybe music is playing or the
windows are open and there is traffic noise or wind noise

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

anyone tried alexa in the shop yet
it might be useful for this

thinking more on this they will need to make one for high noise
and high dust environment

wondering if it can learn the background noise and still function

for example if you have the fan on or maybe music is playing or the
windows are open and there is traffic noise or wind noise

She listens to me even while the TV is playing right above the pod.

She listens to me when music is playing. If she didn't how could she raise the
volume, stop the music, pause to answer a question, etc.?

She listens to you whenever the NSA wants her to. ;-)

Sometimes she picks up ambient noises and responds. I was watching TV the other night
and the character, using a southern accent, said "Relax, son".

The pod mistook "Relax, son" for "Alexa" and looked up some information based on what
the character said next. I said ”Alexa, stop" and she shut up.

I can't remember the keywords but the local traffic reporter had Alexa
go off several times during the traffic report a few weeks ago. It
was pretty funny.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

She listens to me even while the TV is playing right above the pod.

tv is white noise but technically it is not

put it in the shop with some shop noise and report back
would expect it to filter out white noise with some training but
never know

ruggedized alexa would be good offering they could add some other
things to it

particulate reports
it could measure the size and density
and alert for n95 or higher or lower

could also measure hazardous volatile levels for painting

could also measure noise levels and alert to put on ear protection

temp and humidity would be useful too

should have an inventory system as well

you come back from the store and it scans the bar code

then as you use the materials you update inventory

would be good to have it store the location too

alessa hinges

which hinges

alessa two inch stainless hinges

there are two pairs of two inch stainless hinges and both are in a3

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news4ah6f$tkm$3
@dont-email.me:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

That's a ton of work for very little gain. Here's an absolute truth
about storage: If you can't find it, you don't have it. No computer
inventory system will help you out there.

Analyze, organize and build/purchase the proper storage holders and
you'll be good.

If you want to buy an always-on internet connected microphone, do so. As
for me and my shop, we'll avoid electronic nonsense such as always-on
internet connected microphones and other Internet of Things (except
security) devices.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

She listens to me even while the TV is playing right above the pod.

tv is white noise but technically it is not

That sentence makes about as much sense as white noise.

put it in the shop with some shop noise and report back
would expect it to filter out white noise with some training but
never know

My shop is really quiet now that I got rid of my vacuum. I'm sure the sound of a broom
won't bother Alexa at all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

She listens to me even while the TV is playing right above the pod.

tv is white noise but technically it is not

put it in the shop with some shop noise and report back
would expect it to filter out white noise with some training but
never know

No training required.

I placed Alexa on the router table.

I turned on the shop vac (inside a foam lined, 3/4 plywood cabinet). Asked
Alexa for the forecast, got it.

I left the vac on, turned on the router table (PC690 router), powered up a
cordless drill. Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.

I left the vac on, turned off the router table, turned on the table saw,
powered up a cordless drill. Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.

Left the vac and table saw on, turned on the TV (louder than I normally
would) and turned on the stereo (louder than I normally would). Asked Alexa
for the forecast, got it.

I left the vac, TV and stereo on, turned off the table saw, turned on the
router table. Asked Alexa for the forecast, did not get it. Yelled. Nothing.
Yelled really loud, got the weather forecast. I then moved Alexa off of the
router table to a spot about 5' away. Not closer to where I was standing, in
fact farther away. I had to yell, but not as loudly as before to get the
forecast.

So, based on the extreme scientific rigor of my testing, I will say that
under (my) normal shop usage, which will typically consist of the enclosed
vac, one power tool and either the TV or stereo, Alexa needs no training
or enhancements to function normally.

BTW: If anyone ever catches me operating the router table and yelling for
Alexa to give me the forecast at the same time, please kill the breakers
for the shop receptacles, pull my ass out of there, lock the door and
throw away the key.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2018 8:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW: If anyone ever catches me operating the router table and yelling for
Alexa to give me the forecast at the same time, please kill the breakers
for the shop receptacles, pull my ass out of there, lock the door and
throw away the key.

I'm surprised Alexa didn't say "STFU, you asked 3 times already"
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

If you are connected to the internet, some one is listening, whether by
microphone, your telephone, or keyboard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 9:46:39 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/24/2018 8:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW: If anyone ever catches me operating the router table and yelling for
Alexa to give me the forecast at the same time, please kill the breakers
for the shop receptacles, pull my ass out of there, lock the door and
throw away the key.

I'm surprised Alexa didn't say "STFU, you asked 3 times already"

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you that users talk to
Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with B and it sure isn't
Betty.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2018 12:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 9:46:39 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/24/2018 8:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW: If anyone ever catches me operating the router table and yelling for
Alexa to give me the forecast at the same time, please kill the breakers
for the shop receptacles, pull my ass out of there, lock the door and
throw away the key.

I'm surprised Alexa didn't say "STFU, you asked 3 times already"

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you that users talk to
Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with B and it sure isn't
Betty.

I hate the Alexa commercials on TV. Alexa, What is the weather like
today. "Our" Alexa in the kitchen answers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 2:54:40 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/25/2018 12:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 9:46:39 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/24/2018 8:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW: If anyone ever catches me operating the router table and yelling for
Alexa to give me the forecast at the same time, please kill the breakers
for the shop receptacles, pull my ass out of there, lock the door and
throw away the key.

I'm surprised Alexa didn't say "STFU, you asked 3 times already"

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you that users talk to
Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with B and it sure isn't
Betty.

I hate the Alexa commercials on TV. Alexa, What is the weather like
today. "Our" Alexa in the kitchen answers.

Change the "wake word".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201971890

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you
that users talk to Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with
B and it sure isn't Betty.

If you want to make sure it'll never be spoken, Blagovich (if I even
spelled his name right) is a good one. :-)

Puckdroppern
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 03:55:36 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you
that users talk to Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with
B and it sure isn't Betty.

If you want to make sure it'll never be spoken, Blagovich (if I even
spelled his name right) is a good one. :-)

Puckdroppern

That is right spelling.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 10:55:40 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you
that users talk to Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with
B and it sure isn't Betty.

If you want to make sure it'll never be spoken, Blagovich (if I even
spelled his name right) is a good one. :-)

Unfortunately, according to Amazon (and Alexa - I asked her earlier this
evening) there are only 4 choices:

Alexa
Amazon
Echo
Computer

Apparently "Computer" is a fairly recent addition.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01...ns-everywhere/

Seems to me that of those choices "Echo" is probably the safest as far as
limiting false positives.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Seems to me that of those choices "Echo" is probably the safest as far as
limiting false positives.

You'd probably want to avoid the Amazon Echo "Silver". ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk

The devices main feature? Its super loud and responds to any name
even remotely close to Alexa.

Alaina, Allegra, Aretha, Alisha, Alfonzo, Aldis, Arashel, Excederin...
you get the idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 03:55:36 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you
that users talk to Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with
B and it sure isn't Betty.

If you want to make sure it'll never be spoken, Blagovich (if I even
spelled his name right) is a good one. :-)

Unless you happen to live in Illinois. His name still gets used every
time they talk about political corruption (don't use "Hillary",
either).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2018 9:55 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you
that users talk to Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with
B and it sure isn't Betty.

If you want to make sure it'll never be spoken, Blagovich (if I even
spelled his name right) is a good one. :-)

Puckdroppern

Unless things have changed, I got one of the original Echo's and
preordered before they were available, I only had two name options, Echo
or Alexa.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 4:36:23 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/25/2018 9:55 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you
that users talk to Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with
B and it sure isn't Betty.

If you want to make sure it'll never be spoken, Blagovich (if I even
spelled his name right) is a good one. :-)

Puckdroppern

Unless things have changed, I got one of the original Echo's and
preordered before they were available, I only had two name options, Echo
or Alexa.

Ask her. "Alexa, change wake word."

My Dot offered me 3 options: Echo, Amazon or Computer. I doubt it's device dependent.

I wish there were more choices.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2018 5:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, January 27, 2018 at 4:36:23 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/25/2018 9:55 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Alexa doesn't talk to users in that manner, but I can guarantee you
that users talk to Alexa like that.

We're getting close to renaming ours with a wake word that starts with
B and it sure isn't Betty.

If you want to make sure it'll never be spoken, Blagovich (if I even
spelled his name right) is a good one. :-)

Puckdroppern

Unless things have changed, I got one of the original Echo's and
preordered before they were available, I only had two name options, Echo
or Alexa.

Ask her. "Alexa, change wake word."

My Dot offered me 3 options: Echo, Amazon or Computer. I doubt it's device dependent.

I wish there were more choices.

Ill check that but of course after almost 3 or so years of using Alexa I
would probably forget the new wake work. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 3:56:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Well, with only 4 choices, and knowing it's no longer Alexa, I have faith that you'll
figure it out. If not, just ask Alexa. Oh...wait...never mind. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Been following this for a while.

Realized, that for me, "alexa in the shop" would be the better
location.

Because I do not want it in my house.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:21:00 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Because I do not want it in my house.

i think the mycroft mark ii will be good because skills can be added
by the community instead of waiting for the maker to do it and then
they probably never would anyway unless it was to their benefit and
had a profit motive

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Mon, 5 Feb 2018
10:04:20 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Because I do not want it in my house.

i think the mycroft mark ii will be good because skills can be added
by the community instead of waiting for the maker to do it and then
they probably never would anyway unless it was to their benefit and
had a profit motive

My issues is more along the lines of "Why would I want to put a
microphone and camera in my house which is connected to the Internet?"

I'm not paranoid, I'm convinced.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Because I do not want it in my house.

i think the mycroft mark ii will be good because skills can be added
by the community instead of waiting for the maker to do it and then
they probably never would anyway unless it was to their benefit and
had a profit motive

My issues is more along the lines of "Why would I want to put a
microphone and camera in my house which is connected to the Internet?"

Even worse, a camera and microphone that's controlled by Bezos, or
similar.

I'm not paranoid, I'm convinced.

My son gave us a Google speaker for Christmas. It still sits in its
box. I have no idea what I would do with such a thing. Paperweight?

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

My issues is more along the lines of "Why would I want to put
a microphone and camera in my house which is connected to the
Internet?"

what could possibly go wrong

but mycroft mark ii does not spy on the customer

most people are convinced now and with spectre and meltdown and all
the other treachery it is literally written in stone

i wonder when will intel be sending out our replacement chips

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Because I do not want it in my house.

i think the mycroft mark ii will be good because skills can be added
by the community instead of waiting for the maker to do it and then
they probably never would anyway unless it was to their benefit and
had a profit motive

My issues is more along the lines of "Why would I want to put a
microphone and camera in my house which is connected to the Internet?"

Even worse, a camera and microphone that's controlled by Bezos, or
similar.

I'm not paranoid, I'm convinced.

My son gave us a Google speaker for Christmas. It still sits in its
box. I have no idea what I would do with such a thing. Paperweight?

Sell it on e-bay and buy an Amazon Echo/Alexa. ;!) My wife uses it all
the time in the kitchen.

Alexa put bread on the shopping list. That appears immediately on her
shopping list on her iPhone, and can recite back every thing on the
list. I test my glucose levels 2 hours after eating. I'll tell Alexa
to set timer for 2 hours as a reminder. Alexa what is 483 x 453, she
answers.
And the all important question, Alexa how much does the earth weigh.
You get the answer in Imperial and Metric. LOL

And we tell her to play Pandora for the dog when we are gone. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

I like it when she tells me how much snow we are going to get. "You can expect 1.48"
of snow." That type of precision helps me decide which shovel to get ready. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

I have a weather station that alarms me through it's app on my iPhone
when we have received the first .004" of rain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Did it freak out when you got that snow? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

It's measurement came about6 hours later when the snow melted.

Strangely we had a sleet storm a few weeks ago. We had constant sleet
from 7am to 4pm. It took 3 days for that to register.
Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

After you tell her to remind you to take your glucose readings, does
she put Snickers bars on the shopping list? It's all marketing.

And the all important question, Alexa how much does the earth weigh.
You get the answer in Imperial and Metric. LOL

Hope your wife's name doesn't sound anything like "Earth". "Ethel
weighs too much! Put down on the Snickers bar."

And we tell her to play Pandora for the dog when we are gone. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Because I do not want it in my house.

i think the mycroft mark ii will be good because skills can be added
by the community instead of waiting for the maker to do it and then
they probably never would anyway unless it was to their benefit and
had a profit motive

My issues is more along the lines of "Why would I want to put a
microphone and camera in my house which is connected to the Internet?"

I'm not paranoid, I'm convinced.

My son gave me one for Christmas. He said he thought I might worry
about Amazon listening to me. I said hell no, Amazon, and everyone else
deserves, no, needs, to listen to me. I have a lot to say and now I say
it out loud, to Alissa, or Alexis, or whatever her freakin' name is...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:43:56 -0500
Jack wrote:

My son gave me one for Christmas. He said he thought I might worry
about Amazon listening to me. I said hell no, Amazon, and everyone
else deserves, no, needs, to listen to me. I have a lot to say and

look for your material to show up on a sitcom soon
no you will not receive residuals
and that is what the small print is for

now I say it out loud, to Alissa, or Alexis, or whatever her freakin'
name is...

odessa no wait melissa

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default alexa in the shop - Redux

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Because I do not want it in my house.

i think the mycroft mark ii will be good because skills can be added
by the community instead of waiting for the maker to do it and then
they probably never would anyway unless it was to their benefit and
had a profit motive

My issues is more along the lines of "Why would I want to put a
microphone and camera in my house which is connected to the Internet?"

Even worse, a camera and microphone that's controlled by Bezos, or
similar.

I'm not paranoid, I'm convinced.

My son gave us a Google speaker for Christmas. It still sits in its
box. I have no idea what I would do with such a thing. Paperweight?

"A Portland family contacted Amazon to investigate after they say a
private conversation in their home was recorded by Amazon's Alexa --
the voice-controlled smart speaker -- and that the recorded audio was
sent to the phone of a random person in Seattle, who was in the
familys contact list..."

http://amp.kiro7.com/www.kiro7.com/news/local/woman-says-her-amazon-device-recorded-private-conversation-sent-it-out-to-random-contact/755507974

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/05/24/amazon-alexa-records-conversation/