Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default alexa in the shop

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 12:53:23 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:26:37 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

She listens to me even while the TV is playing right above the pod.

tv is white noise but technically it is not

put it in the shop with some shop noise and report back
would expect it to filter out white noise with some training but
never know

No training required.

I placed Alexa on the router table.

I turned on the shop vac (inside a foam lined, 3/4 plywood cabinet). Asked
Alexa for the forecast, got it.

I left the vac on, turned on the router table (PC690 router), powered up a
cordless drill. Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.

I left the vac on, turned off the router table, turned on the table saw,
powered up a cordless drill. Asked Alexa for the forecast, got it.

Left the vac and table saw on, turned on the TV (louder than I normally
would) and turned on the stereo (louder than I normally would). Asked Alexa
for the forecast, got it.

I left the vac, TV and stereo on, turned off the table saw, turned on the
router table. Asked Alexa for the forecast, did not get it. Yelled. Nothing.
Yelled really loud, got the weather forecast. I then moved Alexa off of the
router table to a spot about 5' away. Not closer to where I was standing, in
fact farther away. I had to yell, but not as loudly as before to get the
forecast.

So, based on the extreme scientific rigor of my testing, I will say that
under (my) normal shop usage, which will typically consist of the enclosed
vac, one power tool and either the TV or stereo, Alexa needs no training
or enhancements to function normally.

BTW: If anyone ever catches me operating the router table and yelling for
Alexa to give me the forecast at the same time, please kill the breakers
for the shop receptacles, pull my ass out of there, lock the door and
throw away the key.