Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Some Stuff.....

Finally warmed enough to get into the shop, though still had to use the torpedo heater. Hope all of you northern folks are doing well, with your terrible weather conditions.

I noticed the "breeze" in the shop was pronounced. I had never finished the remodel of west-side gable end (attic area). I had covered that area with visqueen and it had deteriorated, hence it was open to the weather. My heat was escaping through the gable end attic. Yesterday and today, I replaced the visqueen and cut and primed the T1-11 to finish the siding, of that top area. Tomorrow, I will paint the T1-11 and hopefully install it, if I can finish the framing. The old stud framing is 2' on centers. I want 16" on centers. I'll take pics of these goings on, tomorrow.

I had initially (yesterday) gone into the shop to make a "T" astragal, for the doors of the telescope room. This evening I started that project.... pulled out some 3"X3" (*eyeball measuring) cypress stock and squared it on the jointer. Shaping the astragal profile stock proved to be a discovery of a screw-up. One end of the stock was 3"X3" and the other end was 3.25" X 3.25" (the result of the eyeball, only, measuring), which screwed up my table saw cutting, along the assumed appropriate lines. I had to glue the cutoff back on, so now I have to wait, until tomorrow, to circle saw the proper lines. Two pics- the stock and the glued assembly:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

This evening I did some more work on the cypress chairs. Scroll left for the sequence of pics.
Pic 1- the latest notched seat, Pic 2 - partial contour of another seat, and Pic 3 - two sets of legs, one contoured and the other not. All-in-all, a work in progress, slowly, but it's getting there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Yesterday and today was fairly productive and hope to continue tomorrow.

Sports etiquette question - NFL Playoffs: Are you suppose to start drinking before the game starts or do you wait for the game to start, then start drinking? I've always been of the mind, if you're not doing the cooking, you can start drinking before the game starts. Go Saints!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 11:29:43 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

....snip..

I had to glue the cutoff back on, so now I have to wait, until tomorrow,
to circle saw the proper lines. Two pics- the stock and the glued
assembly:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

That's a lot of clamps!

When I needed to laminate thin strips onto a board to create a matching "side
grain" I used thicker pieces of wood as sort of cauls so that I could use
fewer clamps. In this image I am laminating both edges of the wider board
with an ~1/8 strip. (laminate can be seen peeking out near the left most
clamp).

I covered the cauls with clear packing tape to prevent the clue from getting
on them.

Would that method have worked for you, eliminating the need for so many
clamps?

....snip...

Sports etiquette question - NFL Playoffs: Are you suppose to start
drinking before the game starts or do you wait for the game to start, then
start drinking? I've always been of the mind, if you're not doing the
cooking, you can start drinking before the game starts. Go Saints!

What does the cooking or start of the game have to do with it? Start
drinking whenever the urge hits you. ;-) Go Bills!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 11:29:43 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
Finally warmed enough to get into the shop, though still had to use
the torpedo heater. Hope all of you northern folks are doing well,
with your terrible weather conditions.

I'm about to go clear some snow. 3°, wind chills in the minus teens.

My daughter lives in VT. -21° right now, but no wind. She teaches
2nd and 3rd graders how to ski. They've been doing indoor activities
for the past few days.

She just got a new (used) car. No remote start yet. Sucks to be her.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 11:29:43 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
....snip...
Two pics- the stock and the glued assembly:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sorry,

Forgot the link to my glue-up in the previous post...

https://i.imgur.com/X8K6dXB.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 8:48:00 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Forgot the link to my glue-up in the previous post...

https://i.imgur.com/X8K6dXB.jpg

The reattached strip was not thin, but about 1"X 1", besides, I would have had to make some cauls. Quicker to just clamp it on.

4 Pics of the roughed astragal. Still need to do some finish sanding. Also, the T aspect is a tab thick, to fit between the doors. More/finish sanding is needed, there. Scroll right from Pic 1) Proposed profile, Pics 2 & 3) shaped, Pic 4) the length (82").
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Too chilly, this morning, for painting the T1-11 siding, plus a threat of rain. Temps in/near the 70s later this week, so that siding work will wait..

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/18 10:24 AM, Sonny wrote 4 Pics of the roughed astragal. Still
need to do some finish
sanding. Also, the T aspect is a tab thick, to fit between the
doors. More/finish sanding is needed, there. Scroll right from
Pic 1) Proposed profile, Pics 2 & 3) shaped, Pic 4) the length
(82").
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I'm concerned about the thin section of the T.
The grain orientation makes it very easy to snap right off.
If you want to guard against that, you could easy cut the T off, cut a
slot unto the bulk of the astragal, and insert a strip of wood with the
grain running straight.

However, if the astragal is going to be glued permanently to one door,
it's probably not an issue.

Good work on it, it looks great.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 11:10:09 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm concerned about the thin section of the T.
The grain orientation makes it very easy to snap right off.

Yeah, that has happened before, 30-35 yrs ago, remodeling my brother's home.. He had bought a set of antique doors, with a damaged astragal. I made a new one, the T eventually breaking. I had always liked that original astragal design, hence, the basis of this latest one.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Good work on it, it looks great.

Thanks.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

For 1/8" or less, I just iron them on, no clamps needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 1:15:58 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Iron them on with what? What adhesive?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 11:24:22 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 8:48:00 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Forgot the link to my glue-up in the previous post...

https://i.imgur.com/X8K6dXB.jpg

The reattached strip was not thin, but about 1"X 1", besides, I would have had to make some cauls. Quicker to just clamp it on.

I see.

I had just ripped a whole bunch of stock for the bed I was building so I had (and still have)
a whole bunch of cauls lying around.

4 Pics of the roughed astragal. Still need to do some finish sanding. Also, the T aspect is a tab thick, to fit between the doors. More/finish sanding is needed, there. Scroll right from Pic 1) Proposed profile, Pics 2 & 3) shaped, Pic 4) the length (82").
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Too chilly, this morning, for painting the T1-11 siding, plus a threat of rain. Temps in/near the 70s later this week, so that siding work will wait.

Chilly? Poor boy. Wanna hang out by my fire pit to warm up? ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/Zzk5qJM.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

White glue. It is thermoplastic.

Coat or or both surfaces, let dry, use iron at hottest setting, trim edges
when cool. I generally trim with a tiny plane, sometimes with a
four-in-hand file. Works fine, been doing it for more than 30 years.