Posted to rec.woodworking

Default outdoor lumber rack

putting more old lumber to use and making an outdoor rack for the rougher
stuff

it will be exposed to air but not rain or sun

one thing undecided is what to put the legs on

options are

premade concrete footings

pour footings just like for fence posts

just place a cinder block under each

or some bricks

putting them right on the soils is a no go

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 12:58:58 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
putting more old lumber to use and making an outdoor rack for the rougher
stuff

it will be exposed to air but not rain or sun

one thing undecided is what to put the legs on

options are

premade concrete footings

pour footings just like for fence posts

just place a cinder block under each

or some bricks

putting them right on the soils is a no go

I'd suggest any of your suggestions EXCEPT the pouring new concrete footings. Keep it simple and easy. You can also buy those premade concrete walkway stones you put on the ground to make a path to a building. Those are about 12" by 12" and 2" thick. Perfect size for your application. Freezing and thawing of the ground is not going to shift anything enough to warrant a permanent poured footing. If you already have bricks or blocks laying around the house, use those. Its FREE that way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in
news

putting more old lumber to use and making an outdoor rack for the
rougher stuff

it will be exposed to air but not rain or sun

one thing undecided is what to put the legs on

options are

premade concrete footings

pour footings just like for fence posts

just place a cinder block under each

or some bricks

putting them right on the soils is a no go

I had a bunch of wood on cinder blocks. It was all good stuff from the
Home Depot cull cart. One of my biggest issues was digging through it
until I got to what I wanted. Those large boards on the bottom are
still there--just too much work. Just something to keep in mind with
any wood storage.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 11:42:43 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:

I'd suggest any of your suggestions EXCEPT the pouring new concrete
footings. Keep it simple and easy. You can also buy those premade
concrete walkway stones you put on the ground to make a path to a
building. Those are about 12" by 12" and 2" thick. Perfect size for
your application. Freezing and thawing of the ground is not going to
shift anything enough to warrant a permanent poured footing. If you
already have bricks or blocks laying around the house, use those.
Its FREE that way.

yep will not do the concrete pouring

will just lay bricks down onto the soil or possibly cinder blocks

had to revise my plan a little as i got reminded by looking at different
racks to make a spot for sheeting