Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

Default Gun Rack/Cabinet Plan .... Just the rack part...

Howdy All....

I'm planning on making a minor modification to a cedar closet in my
house. It's a deep (two rod) closet in the master bed room. I want to
add a gun rack to the back at floor level. I keep my guns in this
closet anyway, but instead of leaning them in the corners I
thought...Why not put them into a rack across the back. The butt plate
on the floor and a barrel rack at the appropriate height, a locking bar
and it's done.... Easy as pie........ ;-) hahahahahaha. Yeah right.

What I'm looking for is if someone has a pattern for the barrel rest.
The butt rest is basically an angled oval, I'm planning on making a jig
out of ply for that part to router it out.

Any suggestions are appreciated...Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
professorpaul

How about boring holes a diameter slightly larger than the barrels,
then cutting the board through the diameter, leaving a series of
"notches" for the barrels. Do the butt end with a router and a template
of some sort.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce T

Actually, that's what I did, using a spade bit and a saber (sabre?) saw. A
wood rasp & some sandpaper finished the job. I'd probably have spent a
little more time of the surface prep had it been out where I could see it
every day, but in the back of the closet...it's just fine. By the way,
Angling the slots isn't necessary unless you have a front-to-back (depth)
constraint...

BruceT

"professorpaul" wrote in message
ups.com...
How about boring holes a diameter slightly larger than the barrels,
then cutting the board through the diameter, leaving a series of
"notches" for the barrels. Do the butt end with a router and a template
of some sort.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

Thanks for the ideas. The spade bit/jig saw worked great. After I had
the slots drilled and cut I ran a 1/4" roundover bit along the leading
edge of the rack.

The rack is in and the guns are on it. I decided to angle them to make
a little tighter profile. In a space of 44" I can put 10 guns,
shotguns or rifles with or without scopes, in withouth any problem. I
also decided to make one slot big enough for a double barrel as well.

Thanks again for the help.

Junior Member

Location: WISCONSIN
Send a message via AIM to BIG AL 2
Post

[quote=bremen68]Thanks for the ideas. The spade bit/jig saw worked great. After I had
the slots drilled and cut I ran a 1/4" roundover bit along the leading
edge of the rack.

The rack is in and the guns are on it. I decided to angle them to make
a little tighter profile. In a space of 44" I can put 10 guns,
shotguns or rifles with or without scopes, in withouth any problem. I
also decided to make one slot big enough for a double barrel as well.

This sounds like it will work for the top barrel part of the cabinet, but I was wondering if anyone knew where you could get a template to use with your router for the bottom but stock part? I am in the process of building a ten gun corner cabinet and im not sure how im going to make the bottom part of the rack. This part will be very visible so it has to be perfect and they all have to match. Is there a website or anything that I could go to to purchase such a template?

2 Part Epoxy vs. One Part for Garage floor? [email protected] Home Repair 23 November 4th 19 06:18 PM
Friday Challenge - part two J. Nielsen Metalworking 7 May 25th 05 11:05 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM