Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Rack screws - rack screws.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Rack screws - rack screws.jpg-rack-screws-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"John Fields" wrote in message

Looks like you need a drill and tap a little smaller than Jim's!
Mike :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , amdx
writes

"John Fields" wrote in message
.. .

Looks like you need a drill and tap a little smaller than Jim's!
Mike :-)

If you can only get one screw in per side, the bottom of the front panel
(or near it) is indeed the correct place to put them. I've had several
arguments with those who can't understand why.

You may also be interested in this virtually instant way of reducing
filesizes!
http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
--
Ian
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:14:14 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , amdx
writes

"John Fields" wrote in message
. ..

Looks like you need a drill and tap a little smaller than Jim's!
Mike :-)

If you can only get one screw in per side, the bottom of the front panel
(or near it) is indeed the correct place to put them. I've had several
arguments with those who can't understand why.

I'd wonder if an explanation of why might be wasted on those people...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:05:05 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:14:14 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , amdx
writes

"John Fields" wrote in message

Looks like you need a drill and tap a little smaller than Jim's!
Mike :-)

If you can only get one screw in per side, the bottom of the front panel
(or near it) is indeed the correct place to put them. I've had several
arguments with those who can't understand why.

I'd wonder if an explanation of why might be wasted on those people...

Tell 'em to try the screws on top instead ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

An engineer is supposed to have an inquisitive mind and question
unproven theories. Leftist weenies have neither attribute. Their
behavior is of a religious nature. Thus, like all religious nut-
cases, they should be culled from the fraternity and dispatched.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:05:05 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:14:14 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , amdx
writes

"John Fields" wrote in message
m...

Looks like you need a drill and tap a little smaller than Jim's!
Mike :-)

If you can only get one screw in per side, the bottom of the front panel
(or near it) is indeed the correct place to put them. I've had several
arguments with those who can't understand why.

I'd wonder if an explanation of why might be wasted on those people...

Tell 'em to try the screws on top instead ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

An engineer is supposed to have an inquisitive mind and question
unproven theories. Leftist weenies have neither attribute. Their
behavior is of a religious nature. Thus, like all religious nut-
cases, they should be culled from the fraternity and dispatched.

The bottom screw holds the front plate in place, and the weight
of the device holds the top against the rack. If you screw it in
from the top, then the weight will draw the bottom away from the
rack.

Bill Garber of Garberstreet Electronics
http://www.garberstreet.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , Garberstreet
Electronics writes

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:05:05 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:14:14 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , amdx
writes

"John Fields" wrote in message
om...

Looks like you need a drill and tap a little smaller than Jim's!

If you can only get one screw in per side, the bottom of the front
panel (or near it) is indeed the correct place to put them. I've had
several arguments with those who can't understand why.

I'd wonder if an explanation of why might be wasted on those people...

Oh, I think they saw what I was getting at, but still had their doubts!
Some argued that it was better to place the screws 'diagonally'.

Tell 'em to try the screws on top instead ;-)

I've seen this too. The fact that the bottom of the front panel is
projecting by up to 1/2" doesn't seem to register with them.

An engineer is supposed to have an inquisitive mind and question
unproven theories. Leftist weenies have neither attribute. Their
behavior is of a religious nature. Thus, like all religious nut-
cases, they should be culled from the fraternity and dispatched.

The bottom screw holds the front plate in place, and the weight of the
device holds the top against the rack. If you screw it in from the top,
then the weight will draw the bottom away from the rack.

Indeed. This sort of thing should be self-evident!

But I remember seeing one piece of equipment which gave no option. It
was around 15" high, but only had one mounting hole on each side - about
one third of the way up. The designers obviously knew what they were
doing.

Unfortunately, multiple mounting holes are often provided in 'overkill'
numbers. If you don't use them all, it looks as if the job hasn't been
done properly.
--
Ian
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 06:41:37 -0700, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:14:14 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If you can only get one screw in per side, the bottom of the front panel
(or near it) is indeed the correct place to put them. I've had several
arguments with those who can't understand why.

I'd have thought it was obvious why.

Even a dog knows enough about leverage not to push the hinge end of a door ;-)

"I will hold back the water..."

-Peter Boyle as nut case Jack McDermott in "The Dream Team"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097235/
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Rack screws - rack screws.jpg - rack screws 001.jpg

wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:14:14 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If you can only get one screw in per side, the bottom of the front panel
(or near it) is indeed the correct place to put them. I've had several
arguments with those who can't understand why.

I'd have thought it was obvious why.

Even a dog knows enough about leverage not to push the hinge end of a door ;-)

---
Speaking of leverage, here's the way I got around lifting a particularly
heavy piece of equipment and holding it up against rack rails while
someone else screwed it down:

JF

Attached Thumbnails
Rack screws - rack screws.jpg-rack-screws-001-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:14:14 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If you can only get one screw in per side, the bottom of the front panel
(or near it) is indeed the correct place to put them. I've had several
arguments with those who can't understand why.

I'd have thought it was obvious why.

Even a dog knows enough about leverage not to push the hinge end of a door ;-)

---
Speaking of leverage, here's the way I got around lifting a particularly
heavy piece of equipment and holding it up against rack rails while
someone else screwed it down:

JF

Adaptation coupled with good physical common sense.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:14:14 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If you can only get one screw in per side, the bottom of the front panel
(or near it) is indeed the correct place to put them. I've had several
arguments with those who can't understand why.

I'd have thought it was obvious why.

Even a dog knows enough about leverage not to push the hinge end of a door ;-)

---
Speaking of leverage, here's the way I got around lifting a particularly
heavy piece of equipment and holding it up against rack rails while
someone else screwed it down:

JF

Adaptation coupled with good physical common sense.

---
:-)

I used to move pool tables. I covered my first one at 11 in 1971. 4x8

In 1979 I got work covering tables and moving them. I used to go up to
Bay City at Valley Pool Tables' 100+ acre facility (now owned by Dynamo?)
Anyway, I used to put less than half the vehicles' rated weight carrying
capacity of over 26,000 Lbs. (a 22' box straight truck). Though it was
only half, it filled the truck from floor to ceiling with 13 900Lb pool
tables. The 'high in the box' ones were the problem.

They had a wall of them standing there like a deck of cards on edge,
and their tow motor had a full gimbaled 3.5'x2' pair of rubber clad
"paddle" hands that it would pull specific tables out of a stack with,
and rotate to horizontal, etc. That was a cool tow motor.

Anyway, one had to be very careful how one took ordinary roadway turns,
etc. in it when filled that way. Very gingerly... wouldn't want to
splatter pool tables all over the place.

The tow motor could not get on the truck either or its weight would drop
the truck and keep it from being able to get back off. So it had to push
the tables onto the truck like dominoes. It was full, floor to ceiling,
with heavy slate slabs encased in wood. No ropes, no ties, and not
always altogether 'tightly packed'...

But I could move 'em up and down stairs, and unload one from the truck
onto a tilted platform (like 10°). I probably weighed less than 125Lbs.

Gingerly...

I tap the balls around pretty good when the table is flat too. :-]