Posted to rec.woodworking

Default unglue wood

I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 05:30:42 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

Carefully drill out the broken one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 8:30:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the spindles/dowels on the sides and ends?

Safety first.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2017 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 8:30:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the spindles/dowels on the sides and ends?

Safety first.

Legality to use has nothing to do with present standards. It is illegal
to manufacture, sell, donate cribs that do not comply with new standard
but the gestapo will not raid your house looking at your crib.

It is not smart to use a non compliant crib, of course.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 21:25:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/6/2017 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 8:30:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the spindles/dowels on the sides and ends?

Safety first.

Legality to use has nothing to do with present standards. It is illegal
to manufacture, sell, donate cribs that do not comply with new standard
but the gestapo will not raid your house looking at your crib.

However, if a kid dies, there will be some 'splainin' to do.

It is not smart to use a non compliant crib, of course.

To put it nicely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 6, 2017 wrote:

I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I have one
and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the
spindles/dowels on the sides and ends? Safety first.

Legality to use has nothing to do with present standards.Â* It is
illegal to manufacture, sell, donate cribs that do not comply with
new standard but the gestapo will not raid your house looking at
your crib.

However, if a kid dies, there will be some 'splainin' to do.

It is not smart to use a non compliant crib, of course.

To put it nicely.

One of my earliest childhood memories was getting my head stuck in the
spindles of my crib.Â* The fire department came and cut out a spindle to
set me free.
And set me free, they did.Â* After that, I would climb out of the crib
when I woke up in the morning and cause shenanigans until I woke up my
mom.Â* :-)

This was probably around 1970 and I don't know what the law was with
crib spindle spacing or if it was a homemade crib or what, but I'm sure
the spacing is closer than what it would take to get a kid's head stuck
in there.Â* :-)

Y'all are not helping helenmag. She is asking for advice on how to
remove a glued-in broken part on the crib so it can be replaced.
If the dowel isn't too badly broken you may be able to glue it back
together and avoid having to remove and replace it. If the damage is
too extensive, cut the dowel completely in two and try wiggling the
parts back and forth. The dowel may not be glued very well and the
wiggling could loosen the glue joint. If the ends are really glued in
solid, you might have to cut the dowel flush against the frame and then
drill it out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 4:56:28 AM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

So pointing out an issue that might save a kid's life isn't "helping"? Really?

Not everyone realizes that an old crib might not be safe or compliant with today's
standard. Help can come in many forms.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 9:25:09 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/6/2017 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 8:30:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the spindles/dowels on the sides and ends?

Safety first.

Legality to use has nothing to do with present standards. It is illegal
to manufacture, sell, donate cribs that do not comply with new standard
but the gestapo will not raid your house looking at your crib.

My sincerest apologies for using the word "legal" instead of "compliant". It's a good thing
we've got you to keep us on the straight and narrow.

It is not smart to use a non compliant crib, of course.

Hey...look at that. I got my point across anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2017 6:43 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 9:25:09 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/6/2017 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 8:30:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the spindles/dowels on the sides and ends?

Safety first.

Legality to use has nothing to do with present standards. It is illegal
to manufacture, sell, donate cribs that do not comply with new standard
but the gestapo will not raid your house looking at your crib.

My sincerest apologies for using the word "legal" instead of "compliant". It's a good thing
we've got you to keep us on the straight and narrow.

I do my best. Glad I could help.

It is not smart to use a non compliant crib, of course.

Hey...look at that. I got my point across anyway.

And that's a good thing. Many old cribs still around from what I saw on
the news.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2017 4:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

Not when there's no indication that the crib is unsafe. You could just
as well point out the dangers of background trampolines and swimming
pools, but that's not the question.

Not everyone realizes that an old crib might not be safe or
compliant with today's standard.

But it probably is. Most cribs even older ones are safe.

Help can come in many forms.

There's not the least suggestion of any shortcomings in the crib design.
She was asking for advice on a woodworking-type repair, and you
totally ignored her request while going off on a tangent.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 6, 2017Â* wrote:

I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I have one
and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the
spindles/dowels on the sides and ends?Â* Safety first.

[...]

Y'all are not helping helenmag.Â* She is asking for advice on how to
remove aÂ* glued-in broken part on the crib so it can be replaced.
If the dowel isn't too badly broken you may be able to glue it back
together and avoid having to remove and replace it.Â* If the damage is
too extensive, cut the dowel completely in two and try wiggling the
parts back and forth.Â* The dowel may not be glued very well and the
wiggling could loosen the glue joint.Â* If the ends are really glued in
solid, you might have to cut the dowel flush against the frame and then
drill it out.

Read the entire thread and you'll see that we already gave advice on how
to fix the problem.
Then, as always happens in here, we went off on tangents.

Are you new, here?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2017 2:22 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

On Monday, November 6, 2017Â* wrote:
Â*
[...]

Not when there's no indication that the crib is unsafe.Â* You could just
as well point out the dangers of background trampolines and swimming
pools, but that's not the question.

Not everyone realizes that an old crib might not be safe or
compliant with today's standard.

But it probably is.Â* Most cribs even older ones are safe.

No, they may not be. New regulations took effect in 2011. Infants are
still killed every year from defective cribs, many that ar hand-me-downs.

The fact that the crib needed repair tips you off that it may be an
older crib so DD3 was right in giving a warning. Not everyone is aware
of how the injuries occur and how they can be prevented.

https://www.cpsc.gov/content/cpsc-is...n-last-9-years

The crib was manufactured AFTER June 28th, 2011, when new federal safety
standards were put into place
A soda can cannot pass between any of the slats of the crib
There are no corner post extensions or decorative cut-outs on the crib
Hardware (screws and bolts) which secure crib components are not loose
or missing
Crib is free of protruding rivets, metal nuts or bolts, knobs, and wing nuts
Mattress is tight-fitting; 2 fingers cannot fit between the mattress and
cribs side
Joints and parts fit tightly, and wood is smooth and free of splinters
There is no cracked or peeling paint, and all painted surfaces are lead-free
Lowered crib sides are at least 9 inches above the mattress support
Raised crib sides are at least 26 inches above the mattress support in
the lowest position
To avoid drop-side cribs €“ they do not meet mandatory standards

Help can come in many forms.

There's not the least suggestion of any shortcomings in the crib design.
Â*She was asking for advice on a woodworking-type repair, and you
totally ignored her request while going off on a tangent.

If you are ignorant of the shortcomings you'd not know to ask about them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

I don't recall seeing any indication that it was safe either. For all we
know the OP is trying fix a crib that been in someone's attic for decades
upon decades. "Your great-great-grandmother slept in this crib". No
indication of it's level of safety is enough for me to want to ask.

You could just as well point out the dangers of background trampolines
and swimming pools, but that's not the question.

Had the OP asked about a trampoline or swimming pool, I might have. Since
she didn't, I really don't think those would have been relevant questions. If
you are curious about her other possessions, I can ask for you. Just let me
know.

Not everyone realizes that an old crib might not be safe or
compliant with today's standard.

But it probably is. Most cribs even older ones are safe.

Oh, so it *probably* won't cause the death of a child. That's fine, "probably"
is good enough, especially when it comes to the safety of children. Sheeesh..

Help can come in many forms.

There's not the least suggestion of any shortcomings in the crib design.

And that somehow makes my question irrelevant? Don't forget, it's about
the children. (I'm assuming it's about the children. For all we know, there's
some role playing going on. There may be no kids involved at all. Now *that*
would make my question irrelevant.)

She was asking for advice on a woodworking-type repair, and you
totally ignored her request while going off on a tangent.

There was no reason for me to repeat the fine suggestions that others had
made. Instead I chose to care about the children. I'm sorry if that bothers
you, but it won't stop me from doing it again if I feel that it's important
enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

Everybody is assuming the OP was planing on using the crib for a new
baby. There was nothing in the original post to indicate what they
planned to do with the crib. It could be for their dog, or some other
creative decoration in their home.

--
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 21:25:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/6/2017 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 6, 2017 wrote:

I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I have one
and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the
spindles/dowels on the sides and ends? Safety first.

Legality to use has nothing to do with present standards.* It is
illegal to manufacture, sell, donate cribs that do not comply with
new standard but the gestapo will not raid your house looking at
your crib.

However, if a kid dies, there will be some 'splainin' to do.

It is not smart to use a non compliant crib, of course.

To put it nicely.

One of my earliest childhood memories was getting my head stuck in the
spindles of my crib.* The fire department came and cut out a spindle to
set me free.
And set me free, they did.* After that, I would climb out of the crib
[...]

Not true. There have been *MANY* crib recalls since the CSPC started
regulating them.

Help can come in many forms.

There's not the least suggestion of any shortcomings in the crib design.
She was asking for advice on a woodworking-type repair, and you
totally ignored her request while going off on a tangent.

Said shortcomings might not be known. It's a good thing to check. It
might save a lifetime of grief, somewhere down the road.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/17 8:43 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 22:04:16 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

You're just a kid. ;-)

CSPC crib safety standards started in 1973.

That explains a lot. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:

Everybody is assuming the OP was planing on using the crib for a new
baby. There was nothing in the original post to indicate what they
planned to do with the crib. It could be for their dog, or some other
creative decoration in their home.

+1
http://awesomediys.com/wp-content/up...ib-Planter.jpg
https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...ie-scanlon.jpg
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...013/scaled.php

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

not enough info
make an ascii diagram or point to the crib online

or just go on craigslist and find a replacement crib

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, MIKE wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

So when someone has a question about a table saw, you ignore their
question to ask if the safety guard is in place? The next time someone
asks about wood finishing, you're going to ignore their question to talk
about lead-based paint?

You could just as well point out the dangers of background trampolines
and swimming pools, but that's not the question.

Had the OP asked about a trampoline or swimming pool, I might have. Since
she didn't, I really don't think those would have been relevant questions.

She also did not ask whether her crib slats were spaced too far apart,
but that didn't stop you from jumping right in on safe crib design.

Not everyone realizes that an old crib might not
be safe or compliant with today's standard.

But it probably is. Most cribs even older ones are safe.

Oh, so it *probably* won't cause the death of a child. That's fine, "probably"
is good enough, especially when it comes to the safety of children. Sheeesh.

You have no reason to think helenmag's crib has any safety issues -
except for a broken dowel that needs replacing, for which she asked
advice that you declined to provide.

Help can come in many forms.

There's not the least suggestion of any shortcomings in the crib design.

And that somehow makes my question irrelevant?

It makes your question off-topic, and totally useless for
helping helenmag with replacing her broken dowel which IS
a safety concern.

Don't forget, it's about the children.

It this case, it's about how to remove a broken dowel so it can be
replace with a good one - a fix for the children that you decided not to
help with.

She was asking for advice on a woodworking-type repair, and you
totally ignored her request while going off on a tangent.

There was no reason for me to repeat the fine suggestions
that others had made.

You were the VERY FIRST person to respond to her question.
When you wrote "Is the crib still legal for use? ..." no one had
yet made any suggestions about how to remove the broken dowel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/7/2017 4:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Read the recalls--mostly they are in the "something might happen"
category and most seem to be "drop side" cribs where the side can drop
unexpectedly. Few are "design feature that violates regulations"
recalls.

And of course this all assumes that the gummint, currently headed by a
buffoon, knows what it is doing..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2017 7:30 AM, wrote:
I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

Why don't you guys go out and build something rather than argue like
those that belong in a crib.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 8:33:12 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Why don't you guys go out and build something rather than argue like
those that belong in a crib.

LOL. Yeah, or buy a tool.

Leon, you need a clamp? ;-)
https://houston.craigslist.org/tld/d...335560831.html

I wonder if this is their actual asking price for the clamp!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/8/2017 11:05 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 8:33:12 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Why don't you guys go out and build something rather than argue like
those that belong in a crib.

LOL. Yeah, or buy a tool.

Leon, you need a clamp? ;-)
https://houston.craigslist.org/tld/d...335560831.html

I wonder if this is their actual asking price for the clamp!

Sonny

W O W !!!! I'll pass!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/8/2017 12:51 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/8/2017 11:05 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 8:33:12 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Why don't you guys go out and build something rather than argue like
those that belong in a crib.

LOL.Â* Yeah, or buy a tool.

Leon, you need a clamp?Â* ;-)
https://houston.craigslist.org/tld/d...335560831.html

I wonder if this is their actual asking price for the clamp!

Sonny

W O W !!!!Â* I'll pass!

I think that's a Wilton 14298. Internet prices seem to range from $93 to
$153, so $120 isn't all that ridiculous. Not that I'll be buying one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/8/2017 2:15 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:
On 11/8/2017 12:51 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/8/2017 11:05 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 8:33:12 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Why don't you guys go out and build something rather than argue like
those that belong in a crib.

LOL.Â* Yeah, or buy a tool.

Leon, you need a clamp?Â* ;-)
https://houston.craigslist.org/tld/d...335560831.html

I wonder if this is their actual asking price for the clamp!

Sonny

W O W !!!!Â* I'll pass!

I think that's a Wilton 14298. Internet prices seem to range from $93 to
$153, so $120 isn't all that ridiculous.Â* Not that I'll be buying one.

On second look, that particular one is not only used, but looks like it
has been overtightened and no would no longer clamp square.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 11/8/2017 11:05 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 8:33:12 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Why don't you guys go out and build something rather than argue like
those that belong in a crib.

LOL. Yeah, or buy a tool.

Leon, you need a clamp? ;-)
https://houston.craigslist.org/tld/d...335560831.html

I wonder if this is their actual asking price for the clamp!

Sonny

W O W !!!! I'll pass!

ironically, the pawn shop selling it is in Humble.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/8/2017 5:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 9:33:12 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 11/6/2017 7:30 AM, wrote:
I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

Why don't you guys go out and build something rather than argue like
those that belong in a crib.

Hey! Easy there big fella. I, for one, have been multi-tasking.

In between posts I built a $6 height-adjustable work light stand. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/xm4Ho1g.jpg

I read where some light stands were being recalled. They could fall
over into a crib, injuring the baby. Has this been inspected?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2017 7:30 AM, wrote:
I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

Why don't you guys go out and build something rather than argue like
those that belong in a crib.

Hey! Easy there big fella. I, for one, have been multi-tasking.

In between posts I built a $6 height-adjustable work light stand. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/xm4Ho1g.jpg

I read where some light stands were being recalled. They could fall
over into a crib, injuring the baby. Has this been inspected?

I filled the base with broken spindles to weight it down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/7/2017 4:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Or you could read the newspaper. I know I've read of more than one
kit's death caused by a non-conforming crib.

And of course this all assumes that the gummint, currently headed by a
buffoon, knows what it is doing..

I don't even know who heads the CPSC. Do you?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/7/2017 4:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Are you sure it was by a "non-conforming" crib?

And of course this all assumes that the gummint, currently headed by a
buffoon, knows what it is doing..

I don't even know who heads the CPSC. Do you?

I know who heads the government.