Posted to rec.woodworking

Default unglue wood

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 21:46:05 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 12:22:40 -0700, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 11/7/2017 4:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 21:25:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/6/2017 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 6, 2017 wrote:

I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I have one
and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the
spindles/dowels on the sides and ends? Safety first.

Legality to use has nothing to do with present standards.* It is
illegal to manufacture, sell, donate cribs that do not comply with
new standard but the gestapo will not raid your house looking at
your crib.

However, if a kid dies, there will be some 'splainin' to do.

It is not smart to use a non compliant crib, of course.

To put it nicely.

One of my earliest childhood memories was getting my head stuck in the
spindles of my crib.* The fire department came and cut out a spindle to
set me free.
And set me free, they did.* After that, I would climb out of the crib
when I woke up in the morning and cause shenanigans until I woke up my
mom.* :-)

This was probably around 1970 and I don't know what the law was with
crib spindle spacing or if it was a homemade crib or what, but I'm sure
the spacing is closer than what it would take to get a kid's head stuck
in there.* :-)

Y'all are not helping helenmag. She is asking for advice on how to
remove a glued-in broken part on the crib so it can be replaced.

So pointing out an issue that might save a kid's life isn't "helping"? Really?

Not when there's no indication that the crib is unsafe. You could just
as well point out the dangers of background trampolines and swimming
pools, but that's not the question.

Not everyone realizes that an old crib might not be safe or
compliant with today's standard.

But it probably is. Most cribs even older ones are safe.

Not true. There have been *MANY* crib recalls since the CSPC started
regulating them.

Help can come in many forms.

There's not the least suggestion of any shortcomings in the crib design.
She was asking for advice on a woodworking-type repair, and you
totally ignored her request while going off on a tangent.

Said shortcomings might not be known. It's a good thing to check. It
might save a lifetime of grief, somewhere down the road.

Read the recalls--mostly they are in the "something might happen"
category and most seem to be "drop side" cribs where the side can drop
unexpectedly. Few are "design feature that violates regulations"
recalls.

And of course this all assumes that the gummint, currently headed by a
buffoon, knows what it is doing..