Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default unglue wood

On 11/6/17 10:48 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 11/6/17 7:30 AM, wrote:
I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I
have one and want to replace it.

If it's really old it might be hide glue which can loosened with heat/steam.
However, it's probably easier to simply drill out the old dowel and
insert a new one.
You can drill it out oversized to make sure you remove all the glue.
And/or use epoxy on the new one to make sure.

Of course, it is likely that there are other non-broken dowels
which hold the top and bottom rails together, so inserting the
new dowel (if the broken one can even be removed without disassembling
the entire side of the crib) will be nigh-on impossible.

I'd just sister the new dowel to the old dowel with some packing
or duct tape. Not pretty, but functional.

Hmmm... are we talking dowel or spindle?
I assumed it was a fastening dowel in the joint.
A spindle can bet cut and removed, like we do on staircases.
Then you drill the top rail hole about 1/2" deeper than the spindle and
a bit tapered (wiggle the bit to one side when drilling).
Push the spindle up into the top rail until you can drop it in the
bottom hole, drop down, glue/pin, whatever.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--