Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default unglue wood

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 5:18:58 AM UTC-5, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/7/2017 4:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/7/2017 4:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/6/2017 9:04 PM, MIKE wrote:
On 11/6/17 8:58 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 21:25:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/6/2017 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, November 6, 2017 wrote:

I have a crib with a broken dowel on the side and I have one
and want to replace it.

Is the crib still legal for use? How far apart are the
spindles/dowels on the sides and ends? Safety first.

Legality to use has nothing to do with present standards.Â* It is
illegal to manufacture, sell, donate cribs that do not comply with
new standard but the gestapo will not raid your house looking at
your crib.

However, if a kid dies, there will be some 'splainin' to do.

It is not smart to use a non compliant crib, of course.

To put it nicely.

One of my earliest childhood memories was getting my head stuck in the
spindles of my crib.Â* The fire department came and cut out a spindle to
set me free.
And set me free, they did.Â* After that, I would climb out of the crib
when I woke up in the morning and cause shenanigans until I woke up my
mom.Â* :-)

This was probably around 1970 and I don't know what the law was with
crib spindle spacing or if it was a homemade crib or what, but I'm sure
the spacing is closer than what it would take to get a kid's head stuck
in there.Â* :-)

Y'all are not helping helenmag. She is asking for advice on how to
remove a glued-in broken part on the crib so it can be replaced.

So pointing out an issue that might save a kid's life isn't "helping"? Really?

Not when there's no indication that the crib is unsafe.

I don't recall seeing any indication that it was safe either. For all we
know the OP is trying fix a crib that been in someone's attic for decades
upon decades. "Your great-great-grandmother slept in this crib". No
indication of it's level of safety is enough for me to want to ask.

So when someone has a question about a table saw, you ignore their
question to ask if the safety guard is in place? The next time someone
asks about wood finishing, you're going to ignore their question to talk
about lead-based paint?

You could just as well point out the dangers of background trampolines
and swimming pools, but that's not the question.

Had the OP asked about a trampoline or swimming pool, I might have. Since
she didn't, I really don't think those would have been relevant questions.

She also did not ask whether her crib slats were spaced too far apart,
but that didn't stop you from jumping right in on safe crib design.

Not everyone realizes that an old crib might not
be safe or compliant with today's standard.

But it probably is. Most cribs even older ones are safe.

Oh, so it *probably* won't cause the death of a child. That's fine, "probably"
is good enough, especially when it comes to the safety of children. Sheeesh.

You have no reason to think helenmag's crib has any safety issues -
except for a broken dowel that needs replacing, for which she asked
advice that you declined to provide.

Help can come in many forms.

There's not the least suggestion of any shortcomings in the crib design.